By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Old game systems on HDTVs?

Does anyone know how to make them look good? I can change my HDTVs setting to 4:3 so they don't looked stretched, but I would like to put them in widescreen if possible. They also look quite pixalated. I am trying to get Nintendo 64 and Sega Saturn to look good in particular.

Around the Network

Unfortunatly, it's impossible. Some N64 games (those that are able to run in hi-res) look pretty good on a HDTV, but the rest looks terrible. Also, on my TV (Sharp Aquos) SNES games lag a bit, because the games don't run in a resolution compatible with the TV.

I would highly recommend you keep your old TV for the retro consoles (anything below PS2)

Chrizum said:
Unfortunatly, it's impossible. Some N64 games (those that are able to run in hi-res) look pretty good on a HDTV, but the rest looks terrible. Also, on my TV (Sharp Aquos) SNES games lag a bit, because the games don't run in a resolution compatible with the TV.

I would highly recommend you keep your old TV for the retro consoles (anything below PS2)

Well I have a 30 something in SDTV, but I was thinking of moving my saturn becuase then all my consoles would be in one place. But if it will look like my N64 forget it. Sonic Jam looks pixalated enough... would a smaller TV also make the games look better?

Unfortunately none of those systems look good in HD :(

Is there a way to help Wii look better on an HDTV? I'd like to know before I buy one when the price drops. Seriously does it use HDMI? Guess I'll Google it.

^ It uses Component, people say it looks better that way (better than composite)..

Around the Network

Thats why I have a PS3 that upscales to HD resolution, my ps2 games look better on the PS3 than on a ps2(same goes to ps1).

mM

I have a Phllips HDTV, and Philips (I don't knoe what other companies offer this feature) has an automatic mode that essentially measures the data on the screen and stretches it to full screen like a Media Player for the PC. Its not perfect but its a big improvement over the other settings. Oddly enough My Atari VCS (2600) looks great with no problems at all :)

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

leo-j said:
Thats why I have a PS3 that upscales to HD resolution, my ps2 games look better on the PS3 than on a ps2(same goes to ps1).

The Playstion 3 doesn't upscale old games to HD.They still look the same as SD.

for some reason, whenever I play my saturn or 32x, I get sqwiggles all over my picture, and the gameplay gets distorted, is my t.v. too new? (1996)

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Put any game running in 320*240 on a large TV and even with scaling it's going to look pretty bad. Those games were never meant to run on big TV's.

@Leetgeek: invest in component cables: don't expect a night a day difference but even running in 480i they still give an obviously sharper and more vibrant picture the composite.