By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Concept of perfection- Is it attainable?

Wouldn't perfection and universal appeal be related? As for something to appeal to everyone, no one should be able to find fault or complaint. If something is perfect, everyone would like it as they can find no error with it.

Hence, my point that perfection is unattainible.

flames_of - "I think you're confusing Bush with Chuck Norris."

Wii: 80-85 Million end of 2009 (1.1.09)

Around the Network

PS3 is perfect in every way. MGS 4 is a perfect game.

That kind of perfection could still be possible, even if extremely unlikely.

On an individual level, the chances of acheiving a state of something being "perfect" is much more likely than that of the entire population, so you're really spinning your words in your last post.

Incandescence said:
Nothing is perfect in life.

/end topic

Rock_on_2008 said:

PS3 is perfect in every way. MGS 4 is a perfect game.

I expected someone to post that...

@ Windbane & Incandescence
Yeah, impossibility seems to be a part of life

Around the Network

If games are art then yes. If not then no.

That was an interesting point, but isn't art to be appreciated by the beholder? And is it possible for art to be perfect?

Topic sounds philosophy related now... Excellent....

It depends on what the game is trying to achieve. Tetris is probably perfect as is Minesweeper. Perfect in that they are the game they are supposed to be. Whether a person enjoys the game or not is a different story.

Here are the first three definitions from dictionary.com:

1. conforming absolutely to the description or definition of an ideal type.
2. excellent or complete beyond practical or theoretical improvement.
3. exactly fitting the need in a certain situation or for a certain purpose.

A game can match each one of those definitions. Many do, especially the old/ancient non-video games.

Only in the moment, but do to the changing concept of perfect, perfection can never be sustained.

10/10 in games does not mean perfect, it means a game did what it was supposed to for what is achivable at the time of release.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

flames_of said:

That was an interesting point, but isn't art to be appreciated by the beholder? And is it possible for art to be perfect?

Topic sounds philosophy related now... Excellent....

The idea is that it's possible for a piece of art to be perfect. That in itself is certainly debatable. My perspective is based on Kant's "Critique of Judgment".

You could use another standard, like Aquinas' idea of perfection, and hold that no thing can be perfect except GOD. Someone who is purely a relativist would tend to say no thing can be perfect (or they might say "Who's to say?"). Depending on which way you approach it you get different answers.

Religion and morality aside, take a great piece of art like a symphony by Beethoven and analyze it. It has a mathematical consistency and coherency that is astounding. How many people add or subtract notes from one of these works to make them better? How many people approach a critique of Michangelo's sculptures by remarking on how they could have been improved? Take those kinds of questions and start applying them to games and see what you come up with.