By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 - $11 Billion Loss since 2005

the assumptions seem too big when you are including 05 and 06. I don't think PSP sotware made that much money, and if you are including 3rd party software it's not gonna even be close to $10 per game. I would imagine sony makes $5 maximum on PSP 3rd party software. I think the gains on PS2 hardware is too big if you are including 2005 and 2006. The assumption for PS2 software will probably only hold true for 1st party software.

I agree that the loss may be much bigger than we see that it is because of PS2 and PSP, possibly double, but not 11 billion.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network

@kn and other Sony knowledgeable people.

If I use $75 loss per PSP hardware, then Sony lost a total of approx. US$2.65 Billion Dollars on PSP hardware - does this make sense?

If so, still using $10 and $4 for PS2 hardware and software, and $4 for PSP software,
the results for PS3 hardware and software TOTAL loss is:
end Mar 2006 - 91 Million Loss
end Mar 2007 - 2.47 Billion Loss
end Mar 2008 - 1.25 Billion Loss

Total = 3.811 Billion Loss for PS3 hardware and software

Does this make more sense? Obviously if PS3 software makes money, hardware loses more money.

If these assumptions sound reasonable, then PSP is also a BAD strategic move by Sony.

@ kn and other knowledgeable Sony people (fanboys included)

The above post makes some sense if people claim that Sony lost $4B on the PS3 (software and hardware).

However, for 2006, it doesn't make too much sense for the PS3 to loss ONLY 91 million dollars. I do suspect that the PS2 at that time was making more money on software than the $4 I used.

Though $4 is probably what it is for the year end Mar 31, 2008 since ps2 software prices are lower now.

Loud_Hot_White_Box said:
weezy said:
Im laughing so hard right now.

It's funny how fans of the PS3 take this shit so serious.

I don't get it? Why?

You add nothing when you come in and pretend to laugh at people on the internet in an effort to disparage one side of the discussion.

Follow?

LMFAO what?

I'm gonna grab another corona and continue laughing at ya'll.

Don't get bent out of shape! Enjoy your video games! Have a good time.

I know I am.

:)

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

@ People in this thread who want to attack bumidan personally. Why don't you man up and prove him wrong or don't say anything at all. Its quite rich for several of you to attack him for his percieved attack on Sony when you have done much worse in the past in your own attacks on Nintendo and Microsoft.

The hypocracy is so thick on the ground here that if Sony could bundle it, and make money they would.

@Bumidan, good luck on your argument. I think you should ignore the people that don't respond to your argument, but instead resort to childishly attacking you.

If I was feeling more lively I would post that 5 stages of acceptance thing and do a song and dance. But since you all know it *just pretend I did*

Tease.

Around the Network

Thanks Squilliam. I don't mind personal attacks and/or calling me a fanboy.
It comes with the forums I suppose.

I am a numbers geek and don't care who is losing or making money. As long as the math is correct and the assumptions are reasonable, I'm happy.

I still would like some answers from some of the people though.

When the Jun 2008 numbers come out, I will use the same assumptions and see how the numbers turn out.

Only for Sony, cause they have the BEST , most transparent, easiest financial numbers to calculate.

seriously, funny ass shit. This thread is gold

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

bumidan said:
Thanks Squilliam. I don't mind personal attacks and/or calling me a fanboy.
It comes with the forums I suppose.

I am a numbers geek and don't care who is losing or making money. As long as the math is correct and the assumptions are reasonable, I'm happy.

I still would like some answers from some of the people though.

When the Jun 2008 numbers come out, I will use the same assumptions and see how the numbers turn out.

Only for Sony, cause they have the BEST , most transparent, easiest financial numbers to calculate.

Well I think this site uses expected vs actual numbers to fine tune the analysis, so it should work quite well for you.

If you can get close to predicting the results then you'll know that your analysis at least has a vein of truth in it.

Tease.

ok.. I let this go long enough... your "analyst" of Sony's loses is a complete joke.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453