By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 Trophies/achievements... or whatever they are?

The Fury said:
Okay, here's another question for you (as I'd like to know). What exactly is the appeal of these trophies things? Do they get me anything other then some kind of recognition so people can see I've completed MGS4 in 2 hours or something? Or that I found the secret mystical item in Gran Turismo?

Tell me about what they are for exactly.
Some people may not like it. But personally it's one of the best innovations for the pure reason that before achievements I may have finished a game and never played it again. Wheras now I will happily play through 2 or 3 times. My £40 spent on a game is much more worth it now.

Around the Network

it's trophies, not points. i doubt there will be a gamerscore involved, just the amount of trophies that you have earned, by the looks of it anyway.

selnor said:
The Fury said:
Okay, here's another question for you (as I'd like to know). What exactly is the appeal of these trophies things? Do they get me anything other then some kind of recognition so people can see I've completed MGS4 in 2 hours or something? Or that I found the secret mystical item in Gran Turismo?

Tell me about what they are for exactly.
Some people may not like it. But personally it's one of the best innovations for the pure reason that before achievements I may have finished a game and never played it again. Wheras now I will happily play through 2 or 3 times. My £40 spent on a game is much more worth it now.

So to you they are an encouragement to play the game more and make your hard earned cash that you spent go a lot further? But whether it's trophies or points, what would they gain me? Or are they just for recognition?

I know Uncharted has rewards for doing certain things in the game and these could be passed over to Trophies (maybe), but other games might not have these in this style.

Hmm, pie.

Achievement points in games are for people with no lives. Who cares if someone cheated their way to a 100 000 point score? People are forced to play crap games to boost their point tallies. Defeats the purpose. No fun in Achievement points.

What's up with these trophies anyway, is it like showing off to others how great you are on certain types of games?

If so, I honestly don't care, I game for fun but not to be "the best". Unless I'm completely wrong, correct me please.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

Around the Network

Do they give out trophies for kill : death ratios of less than 1.0

PSN: TheGodofWine (Warhawk / R2 / MotorStorm PR)

AND

PSN: Skigazzi (for KZ2 and future games)

dunno but it may come out in mid july.

End of 2008 Sales:

Wii- 39 Million 360- 25Million PS3- 22 Million

PSN: papasmurf5721

E3 ?

"Next Gen. doesn't start until Sony says so", and it starts with.....

Metal Gear "Solid" launch.

Quote :"Ironic isn't it? Sony charges nothing for it's service yet you don't have to deal with pop-adds. Yet xbox live charges and gives you ads that you can't close. Funny how different the west is from the east."

*~Onna76~* said:
What's up with these trophies anyway, is it like showing off to others how great you are on certain types of games?

If so, I honestly don't care, I game for fun but not to be "the best". Unless I'm completely wrong, correct me please.

Yea I think its sort of like that.

IN any case, I want trophies(the only reason to replay boredom GTA IV), but even with that said the main feature I need is IN GAME XMB, which every ps3 owner has asking for.

mM
*~Onna76~* said:

It is the same it is with Achievements, it will just give you a little something extra to shoot for in a game.  In Burnout Paradise I spent a while trying to land a double barrel roll to get the achievement.  Not for the points, just to get the achievement.  Some people care about Gamerscores and whatnot, but I only care about having fun with the games I have.  The many of the achievements are fun to get.  You might find it is the same when trophies appear on the PS3.

I give this thread a 9.6.

Thank god for the disable signatures option.