By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - cheaper ps3?

Has some of may have heard nvidia has finally made a 55nm gpu, and it will be released in july. Could this mean that the gpu on the ps3 could get smaller (possibly 65nm, it is 90nm currently I believe)  That would make tha ps3 cheaper for sony and it will give thaem more room to make a slim ps3. 

what do you guy s think about this?

Around the Network

Sony has been working on shrinking the chipset for some time now, I believe they have created a 45nm Cell, so it is reasonable to believe when they make the switch to it they could also change the GPU.

I must have a case of deja vu because I remember a thread that was almost exactly like this.

cwbys21 said:
I must have a case of deja vu because I remember a thread that was almost exactly like this.

10 threads like this pop up every week. The PS3 isn't going to get cheaper for some time. Although I am pretty sure that the PS3 gets produced cheaper then itś retail price, it still has to worry about shipping and taxes making them lose on every unit sold. A smaller GPU will have a huge number of benefits though. Less heat and power usage which will result in being able to use a cheaper cooler then they do now. Less weight will save them lots of money on transport. A few grams may not sound like a lot, but once you multiply it by, lets say a million units, the cost reduction for transport is enormous.

A slim version of the PS3 (not to the extend of the ps2ś slim version since that one had no harddrive) is already possible. Most space in the first models of the PS3 was taken up by the first types of blu ray drives and new developments have made that way smaller. It would be an unwise thing to do from a marketing position, since the impact of a new slim version would be way bigger after more threads like this. First hype it trough the net, then cash in on it. Late 2009 would seam ideal to me.

PSN name: Gazz1979 (feel free to add me, but please put your Vgchartz name in the message!)

Battlefield 2: Gazz1979

Yeah, smaller cell, smaller blue ray drive, smaller graphics card, smaller power supply, smaller fan, take out a bunch of ps2 hardware that they used before software and you now have a lot of empty space in the ps3 to shrink it when they want.

Around the Network

i think sony wants to concentrate on profit more this fiscal year,so i think they wont drop the price

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

i want a smaller one now. to sit next to my big one

The 40GB has a 65nm Cell and 90nm GPU. I know it will reduce to 45nm Cell, but don't ask me about its GPU size.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo