By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why Is The Playstation 3 Doing To Horrible In Japan?

About 10 years ago the total Japaneese gaming market hit a high point and then started to go into a period of decline; initially people blamed the decline of arcade gaming and handhelds on the fact that the "new" consoles (Gamecube and PS2) offered arcade quality gaming in the home, and cellphones were eating into the handheld gaming market. Because the market remained smaller through most of the PS2/Gamecube generation, and cellphone gaming never really took off one can assume that the initial assumptions about this downturn were wrong ...

In my opinion, the Japaneese gaming recession was really caused because the Japaneese gaming market favours inovation and new/unique gaming experience above and beyond all else; this is part of the reason why arcades survived far longer in Japan than they did elsewhere in the world. When the DS and Wii arrived and were able to provide the new experiences that the Gameboy Advance and PS2 were not able to the Japaneese population rapidly adopted these products and the market began to grow again.

The PS3 struggles in Japan because it provides (basically) the same gaming experience that the PS2 and Playstation provided ...

Around the Network
MontanaHatchet said:
If the Japanese market prefers one company, there is literally no chance for their competitors to compete except through handhelds. The Japanese have decided that this generation, they like the Wii, DS, and PSP. And they'll probably prefer Nintendo again next generation. After that, it's anyone's guess. The PS3 is pretty much tracking alongside the Gamecube anyways.

Well the PSP will mark the 1st time that 2 consoles or handhelds have broken 10 million sold in Japan the same generation, before that every single generation it was one clear winner in Japan with all others left in the dust.

But you are right and the Wii is probably the number 1 reason that the PS3 is selling bad, other reasons are:

1) Lack of real system sellers, have good games out for the system, but only MGS4 has proved to be a system seller so far.

2) Lack of RPGs and quality releases every month.

3) High price

4) Bulky console

Among other reasons.

*bleu-ocelot* said:
MontanaHatchet said:
If the Japanese market prefers one company, there is literally no chance for their competitors to compete except through handhelds. The Japanese have decided that this generation, they like the Wii, DS, and PSP. And they'll probably prefer Nintendo again next generation. After that, it's anyone's guess. The PS3 is pretty much tracking alongside the Gamecube anyways.

No offense,but I don't see where that logic comes from.In regard to the Playstation 3 and Nintendo wii; the Playstation has already demonstrated that it can sell above or at about the same level as the wii.The wii is the system to own because it has more appealing games to that particularlar market.As soon as Metal Gear Solid 4 came out,sales skyrocketed;this shows to me that both consoles can sell harmoniously,and that "Japan is only a one console region" to be untrue.

Um...one week sales isn't selling harmoniously or at the same level as the Wii. It's a spike. A spike that won't last because Japan is not adopting the PS3.

Harmonious sales would be Others sales. The Wii may take the top spot there but the PS3 isn't that far behind and even the 360 gets a piece every now and then. This is completely different from Japan where the average week has the Wii taking the majority of console marketshare every single time. 

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

i think the japanese also want smaller consoles,so a slim would help it alot

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

The PS2 was rather big (at least compared to the Gamecube) and sold well.. While a Slim would move some people over for sure I think the redesign works better on portables..

Around the Network
ClaudeLv250 said:
*bleu-ocelot* said:
MontanaHatchet said:

No offense,but I don't see where that logic comes from.In regard to the Playstation 3 and Nintendo wii; the Playstation has already demonstrated that it can sell above or at about the same level as the wii.The wii is the system to own because it has more appealing games to that particularlar market.As soon as Metal Gear Solid 4 came out,sales skyrocketed;this shows to me that both consoles can sell harmoniously,and that "Japan is only a one console region" to be untrue.

Um...one week sales isn't selling harmoniously or at the same level as the Wii. It's a spike. A spike that won't last because Japan is not adopting the PS3.

Harmonious sales would be Others sales. The Wii may take the top spot there but the PS3 isn't that far behind and even the 360 gets a piece every now and then. This is completely different from Japan where the average week has the Wii taking the majority of console marketshare every single time. 

Ok so a dead console can sell 81k and almost double the wii sales?Which is why i said;has already proven it can sell harmoniously at or above wii sales,because of Metal Gear Solid 4.If their was enough games that appealed to that market--people will start adopting PS3's.

*bleu-ocelot* said:
ClaudeLv250 said:
*bleu-ocelot* said:
MontanaHatchet said:

Ok so a dead console can sell 81k and almost double the wii sales?Which is why i said;has already proven it can sell harmoniously at or above wii sales,because of Metal Gear Solid 4.If their was enough games that appealed to that market--people will start adopting PS3's.

One time sale spikes does not a trend make.  The PS3 was beating the Wii a couple of weeks last year, that obviously did not continue.  There's no reason for it to suddenly start selling "harmoniously" now.  

And what games "appeal to that market" such that "people will start adopting PS3's" are coming out in the next year?  2?  Is that really going to be enough?

Why PSP wasn`t doing so good as DS last 2 years?
Maybe because of slim? Or maybe no Monster Hunter 2. LoL. Who knows. =))

BUT MGS4 has SHOWN, that BIG titles can sell on PS3 and can MOVE HARDWARE. =)

PS3 will dominate in HW,
2006 - wii dominated.
2007 - wii dominated.
2008 - wii dominated.
2009 -
2010 -
2011 -
2012 -
2013 -
2014 -
2015 -

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

We'll see spikes at every major release for a while, then, when SW and HW bases will be greater, PS3 will have a more regular and stable increase in HW sales. A slim and cheaper version could help a lot, too.
Anyway this time the winner is Wii, it started well since day one, nobody will be able to dethronize it, unless Nintendo decides to give it a very short life, but why on earth they should?

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Too many games with the main focus of killing things.