By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 a faster money sink than the Xbox? I can see why no price cuts soon.

Leetgeek said:

Try downloading a movie at 1080 P and realize why downloading is not the wave of the future.

The last time I checked VOD can do this in real time.  Why do the anti-download people always think data direct to your house means coming over an internet connection.

I've got a news flash for you, there is currently more than enough technology and infrastructure available today to setup video on demand for almost every major area in NA, EU, Japan, Korea, China, Australia, etc.

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:
"4- Explain why, if you are right, Sony has stated multiple times that they're losing money on hardware (oh right, is it because you claim to know that all the machines recently sold were produced long ago, a claim which you haven't proved?). In that case, explain why they think they're only going to start breaking even at the end of the fiscal year, or early next fiscal year?"

Sony's own financial statements, and drkohler ignores it. It would take the most deluded fanboys to deny the very words of the company they like rather than admit the company is having problems (like Nintendo fanboys denying until recently how the GC was selling).

So drkohler has shown him/herself to be a truly deluded fan.

That won't stop him from coming here soon and claiming that we're all ignorant detractors. If there's one constant thing about fanboys, is that they don't change their opinions no matter what.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

largedarryl said:
Leetgeek said:

Try downloading a movie at 1080 P and realize why downloading is not the wave of the future.

The last time I checked VOD can do this in real time. Why do the anti-download people always think data direct to your house means coming over an internet connection.

I've got a news flash for you, there is currently more than enough technology and infrastructure available today to setup video on demand for almost every major area in NA, EU, Japan, Korea, China, Australia, etc.

Then where is this technology? Area 51? Get real. What the hell is a VoD? That's what the general population thinks.

What the hell is bluray? Oh it's the thing my PS3 does, k.

Leetgeek said:
largedarryl said:
Leetgeek said:

The last time I checked VOD can do this in real time. Why do the anti-download people always think data direct to your house means coming over an internet connection.

Then where is this technology? Area 51? Get real. What the hell is a VoD? That's what the general population thinks.

Video On Demand.

It's actually a LOT more common then Blu-ray.

Every major cable company already does it.

You know.  It's like pay per view except you pick what movies you want to watch and when?

Leetgeek said:

I hate to break it to you, but I've downloaded about 15 1080p movies (and about 30 720p movies) and it really wasn't any worse than downloading 480p movies a couple of years ago ... The average 1080p movie available for download is (roughly) 8GB while a 720p movie is closer to 4GB.

The technology exists today where you can actually stream HD movies from a dedicated video-on-demand service, but it will be a couple of years before most companies upgrade their hardware and are able to offer such services on a wide scale.

Around the Network
Leetgeek said:
largedarryl said:
Leetgeek said:

VOD = Video on Demand

What the hell is wrong with you, Area 51 lol.  Last time I checked, I can get HD video on demand right to my house(I live in Canada), and it even uses the archaic compression MPEG-2.  If you don't understand how data is transmitted down cable/fiber/twisted pair, don't tell me the technology is a long ways from deployment. 

If I'm not mistaken almost every MSO in the US should be able to offer VOD to every major area, and I'm not mistaken because I have been working on products that support VOD for more than 5 years.

Heh you got me acronym overload. Ok so VOD= Video on demand.

How about this one VODINAI1080p

Can you guess what that means?

VODINAI1080p= Video on demand is not available in 1080P ;)

Leetgeek said:

ROFLOL U R TEH CLEVER N THAT WAS TEH FUNNYZZZZ.

Yet somehow, SD rez doesn't seem to be stopping services like Netflix's Roku, NBC's Hulu, or ANY of the competing IP-based video-on-demand services from pulling in huge numbers of viewers.  For example, in April alone, 63 million videos were watched on Hulu, a small subset of video on demand. 

Compare this to LTD Blu-ray sales being at 11 Million.

Let that sink in; in April, there were 6x as many videos watched on a small subset of video on demand sites as there have EVER been sales on Blu-ray.

People as a whole don't care about 1080p.  Video On Demand is where the future is (and where the future money is).

Please, PLEASE do NOT feed the trolls.
fksumot tag: "Sheik had to become a man to be useful. Or less useful. Might depend if you're bi."

--Predictions--
1) WiiFit will outsell the pokemans.
  Current Status: 2009.01.10 70k till PKMN Yellow (Passed: Emerald, Crystal, FR/LG)

Squilliam said:
Leetgeek said:

3-5gb is the maximum you'd need to satisfy 98% of the market 100% of the time.

The new compression technology is amazing. The new Wireless technology is amazing as well.

Who will want Blu ray when storage/networking/playback technology is progressing so rapidly?

By the way, don't worry about the cable companies... they'll be the ones who'll sell you the movies so they'll make damn sure that the bandwidth is available so you can stream movies straight away. I think they're even rolling out 100mbit around the big cities.

Do you want to A - Drive to the store to buy that new dvd that you really want, or B download it onto your media server and have it available on all your computers/tvs at once for less than you would have paid for the DVD?

The luddites will stick with DVD and the early adopters will abandon blu ray. Think Ipod and you'll understand.

3-5GB Would be your average movie compressed in 720p, and as new technologies come out, and 1080p TVs become more popular, the market will want more.

I find it funny how you're all into "new technology" and you think it's all so "amazing" yet you want to stick with DVD. I doubt you've ever watched a movie in 1080p, or you'd see why so many of us dislike DVD and prefer Blu-ray.

alpha_dk said:
Leetgeek said:

ROFLOL U R TEH CLEVER N THAT WAS TEH FUNNYZZZZ.

Yet somehow, SD rez doesn't seem to be stopping services like Netflix's Roku, NBC's Hulu, or ANY of the competing IP-based video-on-demand services from pulling in huge numbers of viewers.  For example, in April alone, 63 million videos were watched on Hulu, a small subset of video on demand. 

Compare this to LTD Blu-ray sales being at 11 Million.

Let that sink in; in April, there were 6x as many videos watched on a small subset of video on demand sites as there have EVER been sales on Blu-ray.

People as a whole don't care about 1080p.  Video On Demand is where the future is (and where the future money is).

not totally true, a lot of people use VOD to confirm if a movie is worth purchasing on DVD or Blu-ray. This is why for the last two weeks of sales data from Neilson VideoScan Blu-ray revenue has been around 10 million and DVD revenue between 120 and 140 million dollars.

IF you divide the MSRP price for Bluray, $35, into 10 million you get 285,714 movies sold. Now taking DVD's MSRP of $25, devided into 130 million, you get 5,200,000.

If you use my quick estimates it shows that VOD might be have a ton of watchers but a ton of people still by into hard media. My estimates still dont take into account for discounts and other sales.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453