By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Tales demo up on marketplace. 360 JRPG domination continues?

So basically, ToV does not look as good as we though and IU looks great even though the trailers make it seem nothing special. Horrible VA does not come as a suprise to me since many JRPGs tend to have horrible dubs since more professional actors are more expensive.

Around the Network
bobobologna said:
Riachu said:
Soriku said:
Riachu said:
Soriku said:
People in the US can set up Japanese accounts...with a little tinkering.

I read up some impressions on NeoGAF. They say it's not that hot =/

That's too bad. Atleast IU is suppose to be a 'potential gem' according to IGN. I was considering getting ToV which would have been my first Tales of game.

Eh...I don't think you should judge the game on a demo. Though ToS looks more interesting IMO. If you're not getting ToV, get ToS.

I am still waiting to see how the full game is before I come to a conclusion. The only obstacle is that IU looks really interesting to me.

Don't you have a PS2? Why not try Tales of the Abyss or Tales of Eternia for a better feel of what the Tales games are all about? I know that I'll never play a Tales game again after trying Tales of Symphonia and Tales of the Abyss.

I have very busy playing other games right now(MGS4 in particular), so I don't have the time to play a JRPG other than Lost Odyssey.

Riachu said:

I have very busy playing other games right now(MGS4 in particular), so I don't have the time to play a JRPG other than Lost Odyssey.

My point isn't that you should play Tales of the Abyss or Tales of Eternia.  It's that IF Tales of Vesperia does seem interesting to you, wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to dish out $20-$30 for a used copy of an earlier Tales game, rather than $60 on Tales of Vesperia when it comes out?  Especially for those that are new to the Tales series.  It really amazes me that people can get so excited for a game series when it comes to their platform of choice, but have little interest in them outside of that platform.  BTW, I'm not directing this claim at you, but at others...

starcraft said:
sc94597 said:

No, but Fire Emblem has about the same score as LO on GR. You 360s fans are too worried about the ps3 coming and taking the rpgs when you shoudl worry about the wii. Anyway I feel this is getting off topic so I am going to stop posting about this hear and make sure my posts are on topic.

I'm not worried about the Wii stealing JRPG's, I think its inevitable.  Its also the reason the PS3 will never usurp the Xbox 360's lead in HD JRPG's, even with FFXIII.  I don't think it will take any WRPG's of note though.

However, when all is said and done, even if its only based off FFXIII, JRPG sales on PS3 would be over 3X its 360 counterpart despite the 360 having multiple to sell. Personally, I don't really care much for WRPGs, so I only talk about stuff that concerns me!

Also, the only tales game that ever sold >1mil is tales of symphonia on GC. Tales of the Abyss couldn't even make 600000 on the PS2 which had an almighty userbase. I really am not seeing why tales of vesperia is a big deal. It seems more like an exclusive for fanboys to wring each others, throats about rather than a game people really want to have. It seems like Tales of Symphonia 2 is the one that really matters since part 1 did that well on GC.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Soriku said:
bobobologna said:
Riachu said:
Soriku said:
Riachu said:
Soriku said:
People in the US can set up Japanese accounts...with a little tinkering.

I read up some impressions on NeoGAF. They say it's not that hot =/

That's too bad. Atleast IU is suppose to be a 'potential gem' according to IGN. I was considering getting ToV which would have been my first Tales of game.

Eh...I don't think you should judge the game on a demo. Though ToS looks more interesting IMO. If you're not getting ToV, get ToS.

I am still waiting to see how the full game is before I come to a conclusion. The only obstacle is that IU looks really interesting to me.

Don't you have a PS2? Why not try Tales of the Abyss or Tales of Eternia for a better feel of what the Tales games are all about? I know that I'll never play a Tales game again after trying Tales of Symphonia and Tales of the Abyss.

Why won't you play any other Tales of games? Also, Eternia (Tales of Destiny II in the West) is on the PS1...

Whoops I couldn't remember if it was Eternia or Legendia.  There were 2 Tales games on the PS2 weren't there.

And I won't play any more Tales games because I don't like them.  I don't like their stories, I don't like the characters, I don't like the gameplay.  Don't feel bad though, because I don't like most JRPGs.

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
Mind listing what RPGs came out for the PS2 in 07 that made it better than the 360? Same for the PSP over the 360 in '08 (outside of that, I agree)

If you mean JRPGs, Persona 3 alone pwned every 360 JRPG release if you know what quality JRPGs are.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

bobobologna said:
Riachu said:

My point isn't that you should play Tales of the Abyss or Tales of Eternia. It's that IF Tales of Vesperia does seem interesting to you, wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to dish out $20-$30 for a used copy of an earlier Tales game, rather than $60 on Tales of Vesperia when it comes out? Especially for those that are new to the Tales series. It really amazes me that people can get so excited for a game series when it comes to their platform of choice, but have little interest in them outside of that platform. BTW, I'm not directing this claim at you, but at others...

I am not a 360 fanboy.  I am geneuily interested in ToV since the Tales of series is suppose to be similar to Star Ocean in terms of battle system.  The only reason I haven't played other games in the series is that I wasn't interested at the time.  I couldn't play Abyss because FFXII came out at the same time.

Riachu said:
bobobologna said:
Riachu said:

My point isn't that you should play Tales of the Abyss or Tales of Eternia. It's that IF Tales of Vesperia does seem interesting to you, wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to dish out $20-$30 for a used copy of an earlier Tales game, rather than $60 on Tales of Vesperia when it comes out? Especially for those that are new to the Tales series. It really amazes me that people can get so excited for a game series when it comes to their platform of choice, but have little interest in them outside of that platform. BTW, I'm not directing this claim at you, but at others...

I am not a 360 fanboy. I am geneuily interested in ToV since the Tales of series is suppose to be similar to Star Ocean in terms of battle system. The only reason I haven't played other games in the series is that I wasn't interested at the time. I couldn't play Abyss because FFXII came out at the same time.

Again, I think you are missing my point.

If I had a friend who expressed a lot of interest in Gears of War 2, I would tell them to buy and play Gears of War 1.  It would be cheaper than spending $60 on a new Gears of War 2, and would give you an idea of the what the gameplay is all about.  I really doubt that people who didn't like Gears of War 1 will enjoy Gears of War 2.

In the same way, if my friend expressed interest in Tales of Vesperia, I would tell him to try Tales of Symphonia/Legendia/Abyss first.  Why spend $60 on a new game that you might end up hating?  Instead, spend $20 on a used copy of an earlier game, and see if you enjoy that.  This doesn't apply obviously to those without a PS2 or GC, but since you DO have a PS2, it's what I would recommend.

bobobologna said:
Riachu said:
bobobologna said:
Riachu said:

I am not a 360 fanboy. I am geneuily interested in ToV since the Tales of series is suppose to be similar to Star Ocean in terms of battle system. The only reason I haven't played other games in the series is that I wasn't interested at the time. I couldn't play Abyss because FFXII came out at the same time.

Again, I think you are missing my point.

If I had a friend who expressed a lot of interest in Gears of War 2, I would tell them to buy and play Gears of War 1. It would be cheaper than spending $60 on a new Gears of War 2, and would give you an idea of the what the gameplay is all about. I really doubt that people who didn't like Gears of War 1 will enjoy Gears of War 2.

In the same way, if my friend expressed interest in Tales of Vesperia, I would tell him to try Tales of Symphonia/Legendia/Abyss first. Why spend $60 on a new game that you might end up hating? Instead, spend $20 on a used copy of an earlier game, and see if you enjoy that. This doesn't apply obviously to those without a PS2 or GC, but since you DO have a PS2, it's what I would recommend.

If my brother still has Gamefly,  I woun't have to pay money to play even Vesperia

brute said:
tales should help 360,but SO4 will help it more

How would you know if SO4 will move more 360s than Vesperia.