By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Tales demo up on marketplace. 360 JRPG domination continues?

http://www.gamershell.com/news_53372.html

Availability: Asia and India
Microsoft also announced that a demo for the Xbox 360 version of Tales of Vesperia has been released via Xbox LIVE Marketplace. Set in a world reliant on a mysterious ancient technology known as "blastia", Tales of Vesperia follows former knight Yuri as he delves into a shadowy plot to use these magical devices to control civilization, or destroy it. Tales of Vesperia is being developed by Namco Tales Studio LTD..

Only up in Asia and India.  If you have access, play it and tell us what we're missing out on.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network

How is domination continuing? The game has already been announced. Anyway I would also like people in those regions to tell us about it.

sc94597 said:
How is domination continuing? The game has already been announced. Anyway I would also like people in those regions to tell us about it.

So far the Xbox 360 is the only console to get JRPG's worth a look-in (hell, some of them are just plain awesome).

The reason there is a question mark is because I want people who can play the demo to tell us if the domination will continue in the form of another great JRPG.

starcraft said:
sc94597 said:

So far the Xbox 360 is the only console to get JRPG's worth a look-in (hell, some of them are just plain awesome).

The reason there is a question mark is because I want people who can play the demo to tell us if the domination will continue in the form of another great JRPG.

Oh ok, but I don't agree. The wii is getting a few good ones that qualify as "worth a look-in" and the ps3 is getting final fantasy XIII and Versus, along with WKC. So right now the 360 has more rpgs "worth a look-in". but that doesn't mean the other consoles don't have any. This is without mentioning handhelds.

tales should help 360,but SO4 will help it more

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network
sc94597 said:
starcraft said:
sc94597 said:

Oh ok, but I don't agree. The wii is getting a few good ones that qualify as "worth a look-in" and the ps3 is getting final fantasy XIII and Versus, along with WKC. So right now the 360 has more rpgs "worth a look-in". but that doesn't mean the other consoles don't have any. This is without mentioning handhelds.

I repeat.  Right now, the Xbox 360 is DOMINATING JRPG's.  If you feel this will change when FFXIII hits, thats fine.  But lets have that discussion in 2031 when the game finally arrives.

I was about to make a thread on the same subject too :)

Here are some impressions from a news blog, I'll highlight important areas:

"The graphics instantly reminded us of Eternal Sonata: not just the cell-shading but the height, build and gait of the characters. However, unlike Eternal Sonata the environments were bland and lifeless. Although tri-Ace’s excellent JRPG was visually flat in places, it was illuminated by bright colours and some of the best lighting we’ve seen on a modern day console. Namco Bandai’s Tales of Vesperia on the other hand, lacks these qualities which makes for pretty unimpressive viewing.

The demo’s audio is region-specific so we had to endure the English dub. It’s horrible. After all these years of Japanese imports it’s an area that still needs tons of work. Hopefully the full game will allow Japanese language with English subtitles.

There are no cut-scenes as such in the demo, only in-game interactive movies which boil down to you having to press the ‘A’-button after each bubble of speech. This means on repeat playthroughs of the demo you have to sit through the opening sequence - or basically tap A repeatedly as we did - as the story elements can’t be skipped.

Other similarities to Eternal Sonata include the narrow pathways which the game funnels you through, guiding to player from a to b. Sometimes you’re given multiple paths to choose from, which end with random battles and loot.

Battles are triggered by simply running into monsters on the map. Some are avoidable, but we like a good fight and took ‘em all on. Yeah!

Combat is confusing initially, as we’re used to the turn-based stuff, but in Tales you only get to control one character. The game does allow you to adjust your allies’ battle formations and AI, but no direct control is given to the player.

One thing that draws us to JRPGs is the atmosphere. That doesn’t just mean graphics, but soundtrack as well. However, while Tales of Vesperia seems to have disappointed in the graphics department, it doesn’t try and make up for it in terms of musical score. The music is twee and lifeless; almost sounds as though it’s mono, in the background somehow. The accompaniment in the title screen does allude to something more but after you’ve pressed start the feeling quickly fades.

Tales of Vesperia is just one of a number of Microsoft JRPG exclusives we have to look forward to, and while we weren’t entirely put off by this very short (270Mb) taster, we’re hoping that future games such as Infinite Undiscovery display a much higher production value: we choose quality over quantity every time.

Disappointed."

http://www.videogaming247.com/2008/06/20/tales-of-vesperia-demo-impressions/

I'm not particularly put off by these criticisms as things like crappy music and poor dubs are always a 'quirk' of a lot of JRPGs and the fact that the gameplay was initially confusing isn't particularly bad. I suppose this particular JRPG at least won't be a must-have purchase, though.

starcraft said:
sc94597 said:
starcraft said:
sc94597 said:

I repeat.  Right now, the Xbox 360 is DOMINATING JRPG's.  If you feel this will change when FFXIII hits, thats fine.  But lets have that discussion in 2031 when the game finally arrives.

Not really. The highest rated one is lost oddysey with an average of 79%. The rest are average-mediocre. And I assumed you meant rpgs released or not released since you are talking about an unreleased game.

2005 - PS2 is KING of RPG.
2006 - PS2 is KING of RPG.
2007 - PS2 is KING of RPG.
2008 - x360 is KING of RPG.
2009 - PS3 is KING of RPG.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

CrazzyMan said:
2005 - PS2 is KING of RPG.
2006 - PS2 is KING of RPG.
2007 - PS2 is KING of RPG.
2008 - x360 is KING of RPG.
2009 - PS3 Wii is KING of RPG.