By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What is wrong with the PSP-Games?

Hey,

I am just wondering why the PSP just can't sell games. There are only 5 games in the worldwide top 100 this week. The best one is placed on No. 38! The DS sells so much more. I know the userbase is bigger, but not that much bigger in relation to the gamesells.

Could u please give me some thoughts about it. I just don't get it. Nearly 36 million PSPs are sold, there should be some software moved.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network

It's a combination of piracy (everyone I know with a PSP has custom firmware and never buys games), and the fact that just nobody's releasing software for the thing.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Yeah, its mostly piracy. I buy games for it. They really aren't that expensive, and some of them you can get digitally distributed now.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Exactly--most people buy their PSPs to play pirated games on the go, listen to music, etc. They basically have a NES/SNES/GBA/Genesis, etc, in their pocket, and a portable player for music and pirated movies. It's odd, because PSP has more games in the 90s than DS, but it seems that for the most part people don't necessarily care about having a 'portable console'.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
thekitchensink said:
Exactly--most people buy their PSPs to play pirated games on the go, listen to music, etc. They basically have a NES/SNES/GBA/Genesis, etc, in their pocket, and a portable player for music and pirated movies. It's odd, because PSP has more games in the 90s than DS, but it seems that for the most part people don't necessarily care about having a 'portable console'.

No it doesn't. The ds has 3 games above 90 the psp has 2. This is from gamerankings.

Around the Network

Piracy in combination with it being a more hardcore system, meaning that people who buy it are more likely to have the knowledge of how to pirate software in comparison to the DS.

A bunch of reasons :P

It's a very attractive media player (the reason I bought mine :D ) Far more useful as such than a game player sadly :x

Battery life while playing games bloooooooooooows. I have the upgraded battery pack, and I can get at most 6 hours of constant gaming with the brightness up all the way. The CPU in the PSP is some 3x more powerful than the competition, and it's graphical capabilities cripple those of the DS, same with the amount of content that can be stored, the UMD's hold 1.8 gigs of data, but man, none of that comes without a price. The battery life is morbid -_-; no joke.

Games are very similar to the consoles. That's just bad business all over the place, I LOVE my rpg's and I'm using my PSP to catch up on some great games :D But when it comes to new RPG's, or new anything the PSP has to offer, I'd almost rather they just make the game for the PS3 xD I prefer playing at home to a handheld any day. They need more games that are geared for portable gaming. Not a console experience on the go.

Piracy. I know about 20 people who own PSP's, and about 12 of them have hacked a PSP (ironically to play SNES games), but because it's already hacked for one reason, it generally leads to another. I would hack my PSP to download purchased games just for the increased battery life and reduced loading times alone.

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

I've been considering hacking mine as well to put some emulators on it, but I do buy games for the PSP, 6 so far, although, I refuse to pay $40 for a PSP game, that's just way too much IMO.

Currently Playing:  Saints Row 2 | Battlefield 2 | Company of Heroes

Recently Beaten: Gears of War | Super Mario Galaxy | Darwinia | MGS4 | Sam and Max Ep. 4, Portal | Mirror's Edge | Uncharted | Mass Effect

Looking Forward to: Alan Wake | Splinter Cell : Conviction | The Last Guardian | Batman: Arkham Asylum | SMG2 | Mass Effect 2 |

When commuting or on the move, games need to be playable in very short chunks of time. The slower load time of the UMD combined with more console like gameplay means that the games aren't really designed for these short time periods.

That's something I don't think the game reviews really reflect as they are usually reviewed in a setting where the game is played continuously.

Piracy and Multimedia functions inflate the hardware numbers.

It sells a decent amount of software... it's just that tons of people have bought it who would of never bought it if the only thing it could do is play released games.

That and it basically just has games just like the home consoles... but shorter. So why not just play the home consoles?

Unless your traveling a lot you really don't need too many portable system games if all it offers is expierences less then what you can get out of a PS2/PS3.

I mean how many Gameboy games did you own vs NES games?