By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Lost Winds was as huge success, says developer in interview ;)

yushire said:
Daileon said:
The sad part is that only a few people KNOW what's WiiWare and how it works...
LOL really? How can you say that? Wiiware will be a failure if most Wii owners dont know wiiware and how it works

David Braben: I think that's one of the issues actually with a lot of these online services, but particularly WiiWare - a lot of the customers aren't really aware that it's out there, the casual gamers dare I say it, so I think it'll be a fantastic thing, and that it will bolster our sales.

^Click on cards to level'em up!!!^ =D

Around the Network
Daileon said:

David Braben: I think that's one of the issues actually with a lot of these online services, but particularly WiiWare - a lot of the customers aren't really aware that it's out there, the casual gamers dare I say it, so I think it'll be a fantastic thing, and that it will bolster our sales.

Even if its true it could be worse, almost all wii owners dont know wiiware and it will be flopped.  I think David Braben just be contented that Lost Winds was the most selling game in wiiware so far. And yeah, of course alot of customers arent aware of wiiware, unless you want to include moms and kids to include on potential customers.

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

Daileon said:
yushire said:
Daileon said:
LOL really? How can you say that? Wiiware will be a failure if most Wii owners dont know wiiware and how it works

A lot of people not knowing is NOT THE SAME as only a few people knowing. The Wii is fast approaching 30 million sales. Even if 20% of those know about WiiWare, those are 6 million people. That's still enough to make any WiiWare title a platinum seller.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

That's awesome. No wonder they're already working on a sequel. :)

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Daileon said:
yushire said:
Daileon said:

Don't forget that the lack of external storage has no doubt hurt some sales. There are mainstream (not just gamer-focused) media articles on Wii Ware and the nuisance that there is no external or adequate storage solution for a lot of these games. My Mom (old lady that she is) has a Wii and didn't buy a single Wii Ware title despite having 1500 Wii points on her Wii and her flash drive being almost totally empty as she hasn't downloaded any VC games besides Pac-Man. She read an article on Yahoo or something that only pointed out negatives in the Wii about Wii Ware and the storage problems. She just assumed there wasn't enough room on the Wii to download this stuff. The Blue Ocean crowd doesn't quite understand everything about the Wii, so they hear one thing like this and it can be damaging to sales. This is why Nintendo needs to hurry the hell up with a storage solution. They are costing themselves untold numbers of sales.

Around the Network

Well, only about 40-50% of Wiis are online, so that slashes the potential market in half right there. The more cool online games (downloads and discs) come out, the more those users will be bothered to hook up their Wiis. If I were Frontier, I'd be cheering every time a game like Mario Kart comes out.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Resident_Hazard said:

Don't forget that the lack of external storage has no doubt hurt some sales. There are mainstream (not just gamer-focused) media articles on Wii Ware and the nuisance that there is no external or adequate storage solution for a lot of these games. My Mom (old lady that she is) has a Wii and didn't buy a single Wii Ware title despite having 1500 Wii points on her Wii and her flash drive being almost totally empty as she hasn't downloaded any VC games besides Pac-Man. She read an article on Yahoo or something that only pointed out negatives in the Wii about Wii Ware and the storage problems. She just assumed there wasn't enough room on the Wii to download this stuff. The Blue Ocean crowd doesn't quite understand everything about the Wii, so they hear one thing like this and it can be damaging to sales. This is why Nintendo needs to hurry the hell up with a storage solution. They are costing themselves untold numbers of sales.
Ninty says theyre working on it, cant you guys just wait? Its only less of the month till E3.

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

I hope their current success means that they'll be turning out some AAA disk-based Wii releases eventually.

Good to see someone succeed at the first try. Hope more developers jump on the Wii Ware boat.

My collection of guides on GameFAQs: Read them here

My latest guide on GameFAQs, for Little King's Story! Read it here 

LordTheNightKnight said:
Daileon said:
yushire said:
Daileon said:

A lot of people not knowing is NOT THE SAME as only a few people knowing. The Wii is fast approaching 30 million sales. Even if 20% of those know about WiiWare, those are 6 million people. That's still enough to make any WiiWare title a platinum seller.

Well... I think I can consider 20% (a guess number, too high for me) a few people.

^Click on cards to level'em up!!!^ =D