By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Team Fortress 2 free on Steam for Weekend

Yeah, to celebrate the launch of the Pyro update, Valve have announced that you'll be able to play Team Fortress 2 for free this weekend, you'll just need to pre-load the game and you will be able to play it.

Anyways, this is ultra good news for me, as I only became interested in the game yesterday, after playing it (360 version) over a mate's. Really, really good fun. It's also good news because I finished my last exam today, which means (aside from next week's prom) I will never go to that school again!

Around the Network

Again? Cool...But sadly I can't play it, my PC won't run it.....:(

Whilst we're on the subject of Steam does anybody know what this new BETA of Day of Defeat offers?

Yeah, it has achievements like TF2, as well as improved particle detection like CS:S's.

So it'll roll out into an official update sometime soon, but it's pretty cool. The achievements look difficult to get...but that's probably because I haven't played DOD:S in a while hehe. I couldn't notice a difference in the gameplay, but I'm sure it's improved, and it's cool that Valve will roll out updates for older games.

As for TF2, the Pyro update should come tonight, and that will be a huge update, can't wait! And DEFINITELY play this over the weekend if you don't have it yet.

Here's a description of the changes to the Pyro's normal flamethrower as well as the new Pyro unlockable weapons:

"In addition to the three unlockable Pyro weapons, we've made a significant addition to the base Pyro flamethrower. By hitting the alt-fire key, the Pyro is able to produce a blast of compressed air that knocks enemies away, and redirects enemy projectiles. It’s a highly versatile tool, allowing Pyros to get away from nearby enemies after igniting them, to kill enemy soldiers with their own rockets, or to separate enemy Medics from their healing targets. In particular, it allows a skilled Pyro to contain an enemy invulnerability push, and even to separate the Medic completely if the surrounding terrain supports it.

The first Pyro unlockable is The Flare Gun, which replaces the shotgun. It allows the Pyro to ignite an enemy at long range, but does require careful aim on their part. It’s particularly useful for causing havoc on Snipers and Engineers who want to keep their distance.

The second Pyro unlockable is The Backburner. This flamethrower is built for the Pyro who likes to ambush their opponents. It removes the compression blast capability, instead guaranteeing critical hits whenever it’s used on an opponent from behind. To aid in survivability, it grants the Pyro an extra fifty health.

The third Pyro unlockable is The Axtinguisher. This mighty axe guarantees critical hits on any enemy that’s currently on fire, although it’s significantly weaker against enemies who aren’t. A great combination with the The Flare Gun, or with another Pyro buddy riding alongside doing the igniting."

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Wow, that update (for both TF2 and DoD:S) seems awesome. BTW- any word on the 360 version getting this update?

Also, Ben, do you know whether or not their other classics like HL2 and CS:S will be getting these achievements, and such?

Around the Network

Apparently the other games will get achievements and stuff too.  Might take a while, might not happen, but hell if DOD got it, I don't see why not...it doesn't take much coding now that the system is in place.

No word on the 360 getting the update...it won't be seeing much from Valve I'm guessing...not til much later anyway.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

@Ben, just wondering about the 360 update 'cause one of my mates was complaining about the Pyro being the worst class just this morning, and this could have changed his opinion on it.

I'm pretty sure if DoD got it, HL2 and CS will, they're much bigger games.

I've had Steam since '05 and only recently have I really got into it.

Did you know you can add non-Steam games to your list? I knew about it forever but didn't realize til a month ago that you can use your Community overlay while playing non-Steam games if you put them in your list...it's quite nice.

And your friend thinks the Pyro is the worst class?? He might not get the most points but if you know how to play, you can get to the top of the server really quickly. The trick is not charging head-on and keep running...you gotta set them on fire and get out of there...then come back again shortly...cause mass mayhem basically. Even if you don't kill everyone, you gave them damage and that will disrupt them and help your team...Pyro's really invaluable.

This new update will hopefully make the Pyro more immediately useful to those that haven't practiced as much with him.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM

^ You have to remember that the 360 version has hardly developed the biggest community out there, and so it still very much is every man for themselves.

I worked out about adding games, and the overlay the other week. What about games like CoD4? I mean, that uses both Steam, and it's own thing. If you buy the non-steam version, and you add it to your Steam collection, does it download an update to allow for Steam functionality (game invites, etc.)?

SamuelRSmith said:
^ You have to remember that the 360 version has hardly developed the biggest community out there, and so it still very much is every man for themselves.

I worked out about adding games, and the overlay the other week. What about games like CoD4? I mean, that uses both Steam, and it's own thing. If you buy the non-steam version, and you add it to your Steam collection, does it download an update to allow for Steam functionality (game invites, etc.)?

No, but COD4 is messed up in that regard anyway.  I own the Steam version, and when someone joins a game, it doesn't give the option to join...you'll have to send the person the IP of the server...it's the fault of the COD4 guys though, not Steam.

But yeah, if you are playing a non-Steam game, unless it has a code to get Steam functionality?(I believe some games, perhaps just Valve games, have that), you'll have full chat capability using the overlay, but nothing saying what server you're on and whatnot.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM