By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - DS is no competition for PSP, says Sony

They're missing one major point where they are - directly - competing with the Nintendo DS. Third party games.

The PSP is missing out on third party games because so far software sales on the system have been generally dismal. There have been a couple of major exceptions (monster hunter, I'm looking at you) but in comparison to the DS its clear why the third parties aren't flocking to make games for it.

It's the same problem the Wii has, but at least the Wii has expanding market-share to help alleviate the problem.

Around the Network
FishyJoe said:
ils411 said:
sc94597 said:
Skeeuk said:

grafix and sounds to matter in a gaming machine. if it didnt then there would have been no need for nintendo, sega, sony, and microsoft to develop more powerful machines which can render better graphics and output better sounds. through out gaming history, graphics and sound has always been improved with every new game console.

you may argue that the wii is currently kicking both the x360 and ps3's asses and it is the least most powerful machine of the three. but take note, wii graphcis and sound capabilities are > gc (though i dont know by how much as i dont have a wii).

now functionality does really matter for a gaming machine if gaming is all your looking for. but if our on a budget or you have a limitiation in space, having an all in one device would be a nice addition.

as for gaming, i say, to each his own. those who prefer the psp over the ds obviously like the psp games better and those who perfer the ds would obviously prefer ds games better.

There is a lot more to gaming though sound and graphics. You don't need sound and graphics for cerebral games like brain training or tetris, yet they will be amongst the best selling games of all time.

Also, for a portable things like battery life, size, form factor, durability and other features are just as important as graphics and sound.

i know, which is why i didnt say that grapchis and sound are THE important features. all i'm claiming is that they do matter in a gaming console wether it be a handheld or a home system.

FishyJoe said:
ils411 said:
sc94597 said:
Skeeuk said:
grafix - sound - functionality - games are all better on psp, ds is no match in any way what soever. what the ds does have is, a very high purchase rate amoungst family/child type gamers, and will sell lots and lots in years to come.

Bolded doesn't matter for a GAMING machine. Now where did you get the idea that psp games are better than ds? It's your opinion not fact and even if this all was true it has no revelance to the thread. Who has the main series dragon quest game coming to it? Who has the more diverse offerings? I bet your answer is ds.

grafix and sounds to matter in a gaming machine. if it didnt then there would have been no need for nintendo, sega, sony, and microsoft to develop more powerful machines which can render better graphics and output better sounds.  through out gaming history, graphics and sound has always been improved with every new game console.

you may argue that the wii is currently kicking both the x360 and ps3's asses and it is the least most powerful machine of the three. but take note, wii graphcis and sound capabilities are > gc (though i dont know by how much as i dont have a wii).

now functionality does really matter for a gaming machine if gaming is all your looking for. but if our on a budget or you have a limitiation in space, having an all in one device would be a nice addition. 

as for gaming, i say, to each his own. those who prefer the psp over the ds obviously like the psp games better and those who perfer the ds would obviously prefer ds games better.

There is a lot more to gaming though sound and graphics. You don't need sound and graphics for cerebral games like brain training or tetris, yet they will be amongst the best selling games of all time.

Also, for a portable things like battery life, size, form factor, durability and other features are just as important as graphics and sound.

To a degree, you do for every game.  You can play with the sound off, but it won't be as nearly enjoyable not hearing the music or effects while your in the middle of gameplay.  Certain clings and dings in a game make it more appealing to the senses, you're not supposed to really notice them thus they effect our subconcious.  Brain training's "cling" sounds and interesting electronic music actually impact your enjoyment of the game just like any other game.  Play with the sound off, then with it on and you'll see what I mean.

As for graphics, no matter what the game; you'll always enjoy it much better with better graphics that appeal to your eyes.  Some say that they don't really care if the graphics are intense or not, and they probably don't.  But they're lying if they say they wouldn't enjoy the game even more with intense graphics even if slightly.  Of course, there are some games that have a backwards effect to this, but that's in some rare cases.  An example might be FF7; some gamers might prefer silly polygon characters as opposed to life like figures as to keep a certain charm attached to FF7 when it might be lost with full 3D characters.  Hard to say though.

This will only take a moment of your time. *steals your watch*

I'm seeing so much BS from sony the past months (when I began checking gaming sites), I thought xbox was the "bad guy" in gaming....

DMeisterJ said:
Where to start...

It's so sad that people have to manufacture bad news about a company on the week of one of the biggest releases this year, rather than just being happy for them and moving on.

It's a damn shame.

Yes, it's a shame that a Sony executive fell back into the old habit of saying unbelievably stupid things. I had thought they had gotten past this.

Around the Network
DMeisterJ said:
Where to start...

It's so sad that people have to manufacture bad news about a company on the week of one of the biggest releases this year, rather than just being happy for them and moving on.

It's a damn shame.

What does this have to do with MGS4, and what does MGS4 have to do with sony other than it's releasing on the ps3 and helping them. As far as I know sony didn't contribute much to MGS4 success. I see no point in posting what you did.

Oh hell not another (The DS (or Wii) isnt competing) statements, its getting annoying. When people see the DS crushing the competition they say *oh the ds is in it own league or not competing* but when theres a time when its beaten for the week they rejoice.

I swear they're in denial, Nintendo knows how to attract ALL audiences not just kids (which a lot of people exaggerate on) Sony on the other hand tried to attract only one age/demogarphic group. Handhelds were supposed to be cheap and on the go and the DS sure did the job right. Traditionaly they're not made to be powerhouses like home consoles.

I didn't say graphics and sound were unimportant. Just there there are other factors which are equally and sometimes more important than graphics and sound, especially with portables.

I agree with sony on this one.
PS3-X360 same Wii diff
PSP DS Diff

Please stick to the topic at hand. This thread has nothing to do with the PS3 or any of its games. Leave it at that.