By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii SD Max Size

Just to clear anything up, what is the biggest sized SD card the Wii can handle?

Around the Network

Probably 2g. I doubt they have support for SDHC.

According to some read. Wii currently support 2G SD.
Some games are capable of using SDHC card, which has upper limit of 2TB (1?).

I think someone here said he used a SDHC card with Brawl. I think it was BenKenobi88.

The Wii can read up to 2 GB SD or SDHC card for storage purposes but the photo channel and some games can utilize the SDHC cards to full capacity.

Because it's only programmed to allocate up to 2 GB of storage (only either format), only SD cards are officially supported because they have a 2 GB max. A firmware update can allow the system to allocate more and officially support SDHC cards. I'm expecting this to be announced at E3 which will be their mass storage solution.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network
Viper1 said:

The Wii can read up to 2 GB SD or SDHC card for storage purposes but the photo channel and some games can utilize the SDHC cards to full capacity.

Because it's only programmed to allocate up to 2 GB of storage (only either format), only SD cards are officially supported because they have a 2 GB max. A firmware update can allow the system to allocate more and officially support SDHC cards. I'm expecting this to be announced at E3 which will be their mass storage solution.

Err, if they have such a solution, people would only still complain... Wii gamers want to play the games directly instead of transferring or redownloading before being able to play.

I'm an ALIEN!!!! - officially identified as by Konnichiwa

Of course... My English is still... horrible - appreciation and thanks to FJ-Warez  

Brawl FC: 0301-9911-8154

Part of the firmware would be to make the SD card executable.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

tiachopvutru said:

Err, if they have such a solution, people would only still complain... Wii gamers want to play the games directly instead of transferring or redownloading before being able to play.

It's only a matter of time when sd card catch up and can provide hundreds of gigabytes.

I believe the highest now is 64G? Where 32G is currently commercial.

I would definitely prefer sd card over HDD due to portability.

Not to mention you can use it for your cameras.

tiachopvutru said:
Viper1 said:

I don't see why they can't run it off of an SD Card for some games (I'm looking at YOU, GH4)... Excite truck let you play your own MP3's during the game, and it was a LAUNCH game no less, which was actually one of the pluses to buying it.

My point is, If Excite Truck, as a launch game could do it, why not GH4 and Virtual Console/WiiWare?

Whats a SDHC card? I have a 2 GB SD, but it sounds like the SDHC is better.