By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's Next (Wii-type) Controller?

I could have sworn that I'd seen this video quite a while ago.

Hopefully if they did start implementing this into the standard controller it'd get more use then the six-axis stuff.

CIHYFS?

Around the Network

That... Looks... Awesome!

I really liked the Wiimote controls, but there are flaws... So anything that can potentially do it better is great!

Tease.

I have a wii, and I must admit that this looks rather cool. You have the option of just having a regular controller and being able to detach it for certain moves seems a nice balance between the wiimote and a regular controller.

speaking as someone who holds a PS2 controller in one hand to play PC games(mouse+controller instead of mouse+keyboard FTW!), it's not going to work well, because PS3 controllers are a bitch to hold in one hand. It is a much better implemented design that I had been expecting though. The ultrasonic sensor sounds problematic for anyone that owns pets though.
They also never said what acted as the reference point for using the ultra sonic sensors, nor how you use an ultrasonic sensor to aim. Sure, this method would be able to track the physical location of the sixaxis even better than the Wiimote, but it'll be impossible to aim the darn thing.

Of course, the real issue is that it's never going to get supported properly, cause it's not a standardized controller. About the only way to possibly be able to get these things accepted is to offer a free trade in offer for those who already own PS3 consoles. Sorta like how Nintendo offered the Wiimote jackets, Sony should let you punch in your console number and they'll send you a box to mail your sixaxis controller in, and they'll send you one of these back. Otherwise no developer is going to be able to design specifically for this.

It really does look like a well thought out concept, but it's essentially too little too late. Hopefully Sony will be able to implement this in the PS4.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

I must be a fool. That looks completely ridiculous, and laughable IMO. Instead of making the overall controller "simpler" to use, it makes it more complex and confusing.

It would be awesome if this was Sony's answer to the Wiimote - at least its original.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

I wouldnt buy it of course if does come and it becomes a succes than its good but its just not in my interest im happy things are right now.

@grey acumen
I agree! Unless the controller comes bundled with a big hit game or the standard console, it will not be properly supported by game designers. Too late!

Me too!

Lost my faith in VGChartz. Too many stupid and ignorant Americans, even as moderators.

It's a shame, really. "The Boss" should do something radical about this Americanization, but it seems hardly feasible, so my days here are numbered.

I am with shams on this one. It was good to see some originality with the creation, but I just cannot see this being comfortable or easy to use for that matter. What is so cool about using the controller to climb a ladder. There is still so much that I could not see it using that makes the wiimote so special. I mean, how awkward would it be like to try and use this like a baseball bat or tennis racket? How could you even try and aim with this thing like a gun, holding those halves just looks awkward. However I do think that using it for running or throwing grenades is pretty cool. I guess the real question is "Are devs really going to use this thing." Sadly, most will not.

My Tag: 2 Timothy 3:1

Jesus Christ is the ONLY way to Heaven! (John14:6)

Every second 2 people die . . . What if this is your second? 

www.goodpersontest.com

shams said:
I must be a fool. That looks completely ridiculous, and laughable IMO. Instead of making the overall controller "simpler" to use, it makes it more complex and confusing.

It would be awesome if this was Sony's answer to the Wiimote - at least its original.

I agree. It's lulzworthy.

Doesn't look like a very tough system, how many would be broken first week?

You can do better than that Sony!

They will know Helgan belongs to Helghasts