By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - so much innovation from Wii Ware - what should ninty change to develop it?

Looking at the short space of time Wii Ware has been around and Nintendo stating there are over 100 games in development we are beginning to see snippets from upcoming games and with Lost Winds, FFCC, Toki Tori it's safe to say to say that developers are really pushing forward with fresh ideas and we're seeing fantastic efforts.

Just looking at Space Invaders game http://uk.media.wii.ign.com/media/142/14239088/imgs_1.html made me think nintendo should just release a storage solution double or triple the Wii Ware size limit and encourage some even bolder ideas.

What do you think (if anything should be changed) about the service?

Around the Network

Just the storage problem. Once that's out of the way, WiiWare and the VC can become all they were meant to be--you know, allowing SegaCD, 32X, Saturn, 3DO, and Jaguar titles to be downloaded on the thing.

I think Atari is missing a golden opportunity to make back some money by not putting classic Atari 2600/7800, Lynx, and Jaguar games on the VC--for cheap. 300 Wii points per 2600/7800 game, 500 per Lynx, and 800 per Jaguar. Even though the Jaguar had a mostly shit library, the higher quality titles could really benefit from this kind of distribution.

Just allow booting from the SD card. That'd fix so much.

to me storage is just the start - I think they should integrate it more with the Nintendo channel, I would have an independant body performing video reviews for the games (IGN or somebody)and a buy it now button to take you straight through to purchasing it.

I would also categorize the games - it seems to me that wii Ware is a great opportunity to reel in some hardcore (there's that word again) gamers for some cheap original gaming action.

I love half of these Wii Ware gaming ideas but the only way I know is to go online and find out well not everybody does this and the Wii has a browser so why not integrate it more, maybe even have buttons so developers can set up their own official websites for these games and a button from Wii Shop / Nintendo Channel can automatically take you there. that way they can upload their own media to sell the game.

Resident_Hazard said:
Just the storage problem. Once that's out of the way, WiiWare and the VC can become all they were meant to be--you know, allowing SegaCD, 32X, Saturn, 3DO, and Jaguar titles to be downloaded on the thing.

I think Atari is missing a golden opportunity to make back some money by not putting classic Atari 2600/7800, Lynx, and Jaguar games on the VC--for cheap. 300 Wii points per 2600/7800 game, 500 per Lynx, and 800 per Jaguar. Even though the Jaguar had a mostly shit library, the higher quality titles could really benefit from this kind of distribution.

Hell, I'd pay 800 points apiece for Aliens v. Predator and Tempest 2000.

Anyway, Nintendo has said that they're working on a solution for the storage problem, so hopefully we should see something soon.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Around the Network

Storage and actually let us, developers, etc. know when a game is going to be released at least a week before it comes out (seriously: it only makes sense to at least let the publisher know that their game is going to show up so they can do some minimal hype for it).

I have a question....apparently you can copy the internet channel to your SD card once you've downloaded it and you can still run it from the Wii's menu. Is that true?

Edit: I know this may seem off topic, but the post about booting from the SD card reminded me of this.

Me said:

to me storage is just the start - I think they should integrate it more with the Nintendo channel, I would have an independant body performing video reviews for the games (IGN or somebody)and a buy it now button to take you straight through to purchasing it.

I would also categorize the games - it seems to me that wii Ware is a great opportunity to reel in some hardcore (there's that word again) gamers for some cheap original gaming action.

I love half of these Wii Ware gaming ideas but the only way I know is to go online and find out well not everybody does this and the Wii has a browser so why not integrate it more, maybe even have buttons so developers can set up their own official websites for these games and a button from Wii Shop / Nintendo Channel can automatically take you there. that way they can upload their own media to sell the game.

The Nintendo Channel is already integrated with the Wii Shop channel and the Internet Channel. From the Nintendo Channel you can (if you have the Internet Channel) click a link to buy any game listed. It takes you straight to the Nintendo Shop Channel if you are buying a VC or WW game. Also, most games have a link to the official game page.

As for storage, I think they should just open up SD cards, as that would be convenient and sleek. One solution, would be to make it so you actually run off the Wii, and the wii just uses the SD card as temporary storage. So the Wii would automatically move software you haven't used in a while to the SD card, and things you use often would stay on the system. This way, they wouldn't have to worry about piracy, and essentially it would just be automating what people already do.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

exindguy said:
Storage and actually let us, developers, etc. know when a game is going to be released at least a week before it comes out (seriously: it only makes sense to at least let the publisher know that their game is going to show up so they can do some minimal hype for it).

I second this. It makes it easier to allocate money to a game if you know when a game is coming out.