By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Graphics vs. Artwork

Kwaad said:

The fact I saw okami only once on this whole thing makes me not really care about this discussion.

Okami = most beautiful artistic game ever. If you dont think so, you should learn what art is.

EDIT: I would rather have high quality beautiful art. Over anything else.

True it's very beautiful... I never played the game though. Sigh... *depressed* =___=

Around the Network
Kwaad said:

The fact I saw okami only once on this whole thing makes me not really care about this discussion.

Okami = most beautiful artistic game ever. If you dont think so, you should learn what art is.

EDIT: I would rather have high quality beautiful art. Over anything else.

That's not true, it was mentioned a lot in the thread.  But you have to understand that the caligraphic art style of Okami is hardly for everyone.  I love it, but the majority of the market cares more about realism than art, and that's why it didn't sell well.  I like the game in general.  It's my 4th favorite Zelda game (lol I really do include it with my Zelda games).

Ever since I played Okami, I liked artistic games more. Actually, I've always liked artistic games more, but I liked it even more after I played Okami. That game was like playing in a water painting world. It's awesome.

all depends on the game and the skill of the artists. we can all see how amazing okami turned out. look at ff12 too. i personally didnt even like the art style, but i mean come on the game looks fantastic. gears was another one just in next gen style.

on a side note, there needs to be a third category and it fits perfectly with sotc. the game is very stylized but not in the same way as okami. atmosphere. i think sotc is the great game that it is because of atmosphere. it uses its style the right way, not in the most in your face way like okami (not to diss okami, cause as i said i loved it).

my pillars of gaming: kh, naughty dog, insomniac, ssb, gow, ff

i officially boycott boycotts.  crap.

I'll just mention this Okami > Twilight Princess in a lot of ways, it's really sad that it got ignored because it was artsy and different than the usual games...

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network

Twilight princess is a great example of an artistic game, i loved the art on it :)

I loved Skies of Arcadia Legends too, a dreamcast port without the greatest of graphics, bu with a greatart direction

i played okami after clover was closed and now i feel guilty. what an amazing game it was (although it needed a bit more dungeon crawling).

my pillars of gaming: kh, naughty dog, insomniac, ssb, gow, ff

i officially boycott boycotts.  crap.

Another example is Ico on the PS2, this game from 6 years ago looks better than most next gen games because of the lighting, shadows and artistic direction.

I find myself standing there looking around at the beautiful environments way too often lol

Plus even the characters are very artistically made, the enemies being shadows, how the girl character is always bright and white and everything else is dark, really great and unique look and feel to this game.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

lolita said:
The reason why I think Zelda Wind Waker looks good is because the graphic style was cartoony but thats what it made the game look flawless and the edges where great...

Like I said though, it really depends on the game and overall atmosphere. I can't imagine TP with WW's art style and vice-versa.

*Pfew, its tireing to type with one hand while eating a sub with the other.*

Wind Waker gave me the impression that even with the POWER OF THE CELL that it would be impossible to make the game look any better. It really did look as if it was exactly as the artist intended, and I never thought "this could look better"

I hope they make another cel-shaded zelda.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

omgwtfbbq said:
lolita said:
The reason why I think Zelda Wind Waker looks good is because the graphic style was cartoony but thats what it made the game look flawless and the edges where great...

Like I said though, it really depends on the game and overall atmosphere. I can't imagine TP with WW's art style and vice-versa.

*Pfew, its tireing to type with one hand while eating a sub with the other.*

Wind Waker gave me the impression that even with the POWER OF THE CELL that it would be impossible to make the game look any better. It really did look as if it was exactly as the artist intended, and I never thought "this could look better"

I hope they make another cel-shaded zelda.

Phantom Hourglass :P.  I would like to see Zelda split into 2 seperate series.  The cell shaded Wind Waker style and the more realistic and increasingly darker Twilight Princess style.  I think it would be an awesome way to expand the series and retain quality in it.