By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NA Sales UP! MGS4 & 80GB Ps3 week!

Zucas said:
DMeisterJ said:
Zucas said:
DMeisterJ said:
Zucas said:
Well looks like PS3 will be the best selling 7th gen console this week over Wii. Only took a bundle, a huge game, and lack of increase in wii shipments to do it. Savor the moment.

Guess some people couldn't heed my post.

Oh well...

?

My post about just giving Kojima/Sony credit where credit is due, and not trying to downplay it with comments like "no Wii Stock", "bundlez, ZOMG", and "Huge game".

My post in it's entirety:

DMeisterJ Said:
I wish some people on this site (and in this thread particularly) would just cut the bull-shit and congratulate Sony/Konami.

Damn.

Let PS3 owners have a freaking week. Is it that hard? Everyone deserves a chance to be happy.

You got your compliment in MGS4 and PS3 was able to take down the giant that is Wii and make them back down.  If that isn't enough for you then you want begging. 

And Wii stocks are low otherwise sales are down.  Excuse me for point out a fact.  This isn't jsut about MGS4 by the way and debating how PS3 was able to overtake the reigning leader for quite a number of weeks deserves some reasoning.  I want to know why Nintendo backed down in a week they could have taken with some effort.  Of course no one here, in the appropriate thread of this week's sales discussion, wants to discuss the numbers.  Otherwise this isn't a thread about congradulating MGS4 and PS3, its about NA Sales as a whole.  I gave enough compliments in the 1st week sales thread about MGS4 news story.

Sorry, I was wrong.

I didn't know you were only physically capable of complimenting a company one time.

My mistake.

Around the Network

I think it's interesting that 360 was STILL up 3% this week. Even with the increased lure of PS3. It may die a slow death abroad but the thing won't quit in N.A.

Wii will surely be back on top next week.

Great week for PS3. It will be interesting to see how much of this boost it maintains over the next month or so.

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

DMeisterJ said:
Zucas said:
DMeisterJ said:
Zucas said:
DMeisterJ said:
Zucas said:
Well looks like PS3 will be the best selling 7th gen console this week over Wii. Only took a bundle, a huge game, and lack of increase in wii shipments to do it. Savor the moment.

Guess some people couldn't heed my post.

Oh well...

?

My post about just giving Kojima/Sony credit where credit is due, and not trying to downplay it with comments like "no Wii Stock", "bundlez, ZOMG", and "Huge game".

My post in it's entirety:

DMeisterJ Said:
I wish some people on this site (and in this thread particularly) would just cut the bull-shit and congratulate Sony/Konami.

Damn.

Let PS3 owners have a freaking week. Is it that hard? Everyone deserves a chance to be happy.

You got your compliment in MGS4 and PS3 was able to take down the giant that is Wii and make them back down. If that isn't enough for you then you want begging.

And Wii stocks are low otherwise sales are down. Excuse me for point out a fact. This isn't jsut about MGS4 by the way and debating how PS3 was able to overtake the reigning leader for quite a number of weeks deserves some reasoning. I want to know why Nintendo backed down in a week they could have taken with some effort. Of course no one here, in the appropriate thread of this week's sales discussion, wants to discuss the numbers. Otherwise this isn't a thread about congradulating MGS4 and PS3, its about NA Sales as a whole. I gave enough compliments in the 1st week sales thread about MGS4 news story.

Sorry, I was wrong.

I didn't know you were only physically capable of complimenting a company one time.

My mistake.

Unfortunately for you I am.  And finally someone putting out some sarcasm.  AT least someone steps out of the daycare for a moment.

Zucas said:
pearljammer said:
Zucas said:

What is the point of a post like this?

OT: Great week for the PS3 although I think it will fall behind the Wii again next week. See, not too hard to say it without backhanded comments. It is kind of refreshing, as Kazs said, to see some healthy competition and that no company is infallible.

Explaining the backings of how PS3 was able to overtake the long standing weekly WW console and stating it may not last.  I speak no inconsistencies.  I simply stating the power of MGS4 and the power of Wii how.  Clashing powers in one week and we see what came out on top.

No, it certainly won't last. You're just being a Debbie Downer boooo...

But you are right, this is a sales discussion, all is fair.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Bodhesatva said:

Yep, PS3 is going to best the Wii Worldwide for the first time in its history, I suspect.

Is the Wii still supply constrained in the US? I haven't checked in a while. I know it's not as bad as it was in, say, December/January, but I believe you still have to be on your toes to find one.

http://www.AMAZOWNED.com/Nintendo-RVL-001-Wii/dp/B0009VXBAQ/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1213748237&sr=8-1

When that page has Wii's available regularly, it will no longer be supply constrained. As it stands, 100 percent sellthrough is the norm.

Great week for the PS3. Wii has a slow week, actually(about 50k units worldwide less than last week). This was the "perfect storm" for the PS3 to have its moment and I'm proud.

Around the Network
fastyxx said:
I think it's interesting that 360 was STILL up 3% this week. Even with the increased lure of PS3. It may die a slow death abroad but the thing won't quit in N.A.

Wii will surely be back on top next week.

Great week for PS3. It will be interesting to see how much of this boost it maintains over the next month or so.

I have a feeling with the bundle it should have some better legs than we thought.  Of course it's going to have a noticeable drop off, but probably not as much as originally expected.  I had first doubted the MGS4 bundle would have such an impact, but it's doing a lot better than first thought.  We might see PS3 at about 80k-90k next week instead of back to where it started.

Seriously, enough with the petty bickering. I don't care who said what when.

The next person who post OT will be made an example of.

I think we can declare Slimebeast legally blind.

As in go buy us some coffee.

http://speedhunters.com

MontanaHatchet said:
DMeisterJ said:
I already said that PS3 would double 360 sales this week...

Am I the next JL!?

No, your predictions aren't absurd, and they actually turned out to be fairly accurate. You're pretty much the opposite of John Lucas. That said, any more damage control about this issue is going to result in me handing out warnings. No more, "Oh, well if Nintendo had sent shipments" stuff. If Nintendo didn't send shipments to compete with their competitor's biggest game, then that is their fault and a very foolish move on their part, no matter what the reason.

With all due respect and no offense meant, this is not a foolish move on Nintendo's part. They do not have to outsell the PS3 on MGS4 launch week. They smashed GTA4's launch to smithereens in terms of hardware - they don't need to make another showing in order to prove that they can. The fact that people acknowledge that the Wii would have outsold the PS3 if the units had been available illustrates that they already had that mindshare.

The only way that it could be "foolish" would be if this lack of extra supply somehow hurt Nintendo in the long run, or even the short-term. I put forth that it did not; would you care to put forth differently?

ZenfoldorVGI said:
darthdevidem01 said:
kingofwale said:
tombi123 said:
I predicted that the PS3 would outsell the 360 by 170K this week. But it looks like it will be closer to 180K.

Next week PS3 sales in NA will be much lower because of supply constraints.

I don't know.. bestbuy store I work for is expecting 2 seperate shipment of PS3 80GB version next week (next Tuesday and again next Sat). I don't think it will be any supply constraint.

Shortage due to high demand, yes, but Sony will ship out as many as they can.

We mean THIS week....next week is fine..but I can't wait this week when people will say MGS4 had no lasting effect

As a hardware mover, what kind of legs do you expect? Also, which is more effective as a hardware mover, 80gb or MGS4 and by how much?

80gb of course. Thats a no brainer

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler