By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Can anybody explain the PS3/Xbox360 owners logic to me?

robjoh said:
Munkeh said:
I think the main thing is that the 3rd party developers are more interested in making stuff for the 360 and the PS3, even if the fanbase is bigger for the Wii (although I doubt that the Wii's fanbase will ever beat the 360 + PS3's). If a developer wants to make a cross-platform game, they are going to have to make something completely different for the Wii, compared to the 360/PS3, which means that they are going to be more likely to opt for a cross-platform PS3/360 game.

The problem here is that there is already one market were Wii has sold more than PS3 and xbox360 together. In Japan Wii has sold 2.64 millions and PS3+xbox360 has sold 1,33 millions that is almost 2:1. So if you want to make a Japan centric game you should support Nintendo. Of course WW this isn't the case but Wii is closing the gap very fast, every month now Wii is selling more than PS3 + xbox360. If it passes the collective userbase can only the future tell but so far Wii seems to have at least Japan by the balls.

Munkeh said:
As time goes on, the gap between the 360/PS3 and Wii will widen, and many people will tire of the repetitive Wii games, or something along those lines. As the 3rd party support for the Wii will be weaker as they cannot get anything more out of the Wii, and the games are going no-where, their main support will be for the PS3 and also the 360 (here comes the arguement concerning power). Therefore, the battle between the 360 and PS3 comes down to the features of each, and primarily the first party games (of which Sony has the best in my humble opinion)

What is the difference between Wii:s repetive games and xbox360:s high number of fps? More important didn't people say the same thing about DS?

I hope you just are trying to explain the belif of xbox360/PS3 fans when it comes to 3rd party support for I can't understand any publisher that would give up a big userbase if the games they published is selling. That is independent on how powerfull the hardware is.

When it comes to first party, I as an old nintendo fan of course can't agree with you

I am saying what the PS3/360 fans beleive, but as I am a PS3 fan, I must say that I nearly believe what I am saying

add me

Around the Network

any xbox360 fans ideas?
or does that pretty much some it up?

marc said:
vizunary said:

I think you are confusing developer and publisher.... It's like saying that ALL artist's would rather design Coca-Cola commercials than their craft of choice b/c they pay more. Some choose this route while many do not. Then again if you're talking about whores like EA, your exactly right.

The thing is however, artists are nothing like developers. Artists mostly work alone on their own time when ever they feel like it. In some situations they have to follow schedules and such but those guys arent really artists anymore but more like producers as you noted. Also, commercials dont make a good analogy agaisnt video games. I think I understand what you are trying to say, but there really is no difference who you work for if you are in the commercial making business because they are not limited by platforms thus whatever you make will be broadcast in the same way to everyone. Now... if we had 3 types of TVs and most house holds only had 1 of the 3 then we could make a good analogy. Which network would you rather produce for? Obviously the one that makes the most money, because at the end of the day you need to pay the 100 workers in your office and their lives should come before your own artistic ambition (when it comes to big business at least where you are gambling with a lot of money). Anyways, nothing wrong with trying to make a graphically superior game. My only gripe is that devs are creating a lot of garbage that just looks good. I would much rather they spent their time on gameplay and leave out the high quality graphics something that can be accomplished on any of the above systems.

Actually, if you expand it from commercials to advertising, there is a lot of variability. One can do TV commericals, movie trailers, commerials in movie theaters, internet ads, billboard ads, magazine ads, etc; Each has its limitations and its benefits, and needs to communicate its message in a different way.

I am not sure I buy the original argument that developers/designers want to do the 360/PS3 more than the Wii. First, most artist actually want people to see their work, especially game designers, so I think they do have reasons to want to work on the "biggest" console beyond the money. Secondly, developing for the PS3/360 can take a huge amount of time and investment, and I would guess becomes even more of a collaborative effort than in the past. With smaller games the designer can have more of an impact, and get the games done sooner. Lastly, the game designers are not painters or computer animators. Their final goal is, or should be, a fun game.  There are many avenues to that goal. One is through better graphics and AI, but so is an innovative interaction with the gamer. Given that the 360 and PS3 essentially offer what was there before, only bigger, faster, and shinier, I can see many developers being more excited by the Wii's brand new direction.