By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Bioshock has sold over a million on the PC...

Pretty good sales, especially since PC gaming is dead

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
Compared to install base, if indeed one can call PC's around the globe that, most multiplatform games do horribly on the PC. See Call of Duty or Oblivion for instance. However; PC exclusive titles and sequels in long running series do very well in general, games like Half-Life, Civilization and Sims sell millions, not mindblowing numbers compared to having 3-4 billion PC's (allthough 75% of all PC's are a bit poor on gaming seeing as they're about 10-15 years old) but more than enough to warrant large budgets and long development times.

I don't know where you got Call of Duty doing bad on the PC from.  It has always been more popular on the PC with the exception of 4,  it is hard to beat 10 million combined over 2 platforms.  And I wouldn't say it did horribly but comparatively I guess you could say that.  I'm not counting CoD 3 because it was console exclusive plus it was really bad to begin with.

Hi, this is Vince with Shamwow.

Slimebeast said:

I strongly doubt Bioshock sold 1 mill. Chris Taylor from Nvidia is hardly a credible source.

Agreed.  Slimebeast is a much more credible source for PC gaming sales than a VP at the largest PC gaming hardware company.

i hope it makes a million for the ps3 too

Take2 latest report say that they shipped 2.2 million on PC and Xbox360 as of 31 May. Does this mean Xbox360 version just sold 1 million?

Not necessarily. I think the key word there is shipped. Bioshock was/ is also available for digital download through Steam. The database here gives XBox 360 Bioshock sales worldwide as 1.8 million, leaving PC boxed sales at around 400,000.  Steam sales figures aren't published, but it is conceivable that they at least matched or exceeded shipped boxed sales, giving the total quoted of 1 million.

This is conjecture of course, but Doug Lombardi of Valve recently mentioned that total revenues from Steam sales over the last 4 years would surpass all of Valve's combined shipped revenues from 1998 onwards, so it could be possible.