By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Free Team Fortress 2 This Weekend! Pyro Update Comes Thursday!

Oh man the pyro video is going to be brilliant... Seriously... You know the guy is more mental then the Heavy.

The Doctor will see you now  Promoting Lesbianism -->

Around the Network

I'm hoping for everything he says being so muffled that you can't understand it and there will be subtitles.

http://www.steampowered.com/pyro/?pw=presspreview

created by Arttu "skdr" Mäki

A control point map with five points, in the style of Badlands. Its symmetrical layout provides for high-speed and well balanced gameplay, while the multiple indoor routes, connected to larger outdoor arenas, provide a wide set of interesting and varied combat spaces. The arena-style control points require solid teamwork to capture and hold.

created by Bill Johnston

A CTF map inside a large industrial compound. It's clean and straightforward, making it easy to learn, but its well balanced layout ensures there are still a wide variety of strategic choices for teams to make, and for individual classes to shine. Competitive teams and players have already popularized this one.

WEAPONS:

In addition to the three unlockable Pyro weapons, we've made a significant addition to the base Pyro flamethrower. By hitting the alt-fire key, the Pyro is able to produce a blast of compressed air that knocks enemies away, and redirects enemy projectiles. It’s a highly versatile tool, allowing Pyros to get away from nearby enemies after igniting them, to kill enemy soldiers with their own rockets, or to separate enemy Medics from their healing targets. In particular, it allows a skilled Pyro to contain an enemy invulnerability push, and even to separate the Medic completely if the surrounding terrain supports it.

The first Pyro unlockable is The Flare Gun, which replaces the shotgun. It allows the Pyro to ignite an enemy at long range, but does require careful aim on their part. It’s particularly useful for causing havoc on Snipers and Engineers who want to keep their distance.

The second Pyro unlockable is The Backburner. This flamethrower is built for the Pyro who likes to ambush their opponents. It removes the compression blast capability, instead guaranteeing critical hits whenever it’s used on an opponent from behind. To aid in survivability, it grants the Pyro an extra fifty health.

The third Pyro unlockable is The Axtinguisher. This mighty axe guarantees critical hits on any enemy that’s currently on fire, although it’s significantly weaker against enemies who aren’t. A great combination with the The Flare Gun, or with another Pyro buddy riding alongside doing the igniting.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

"Compression blast capability." Are they referring to flames hitting multiple targets, doing more damage at close range, or what?

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

famousringo said:
"Compression blast capability." Are they referring to flames hitting multiple targets, doing more damage at close range, or what?

No, check the paragraph before the weapons info.  The core pyro has changed...the normal flamethrower's alternate attack (right click) now sends a shot of compressed air out.  It pushes people (who knows how much), but it's enough to disrupt attacks and ubers, as well as projectiles like rockets and nades.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network
BenKenobi88 said:
famousringo said:

No, check the paragraph before the weapons info. The core pyro has changed...the normal flamethrower's alternate attack (right click) now sends a shot of compressed air out. It pushes people (who knows how much), but it's enough to disrupt attacks and ubers, as well as projectiles like rockets and nades.

That'll teach me for trying to skip to the meaty bits.

Holy crap! They want people to choose between that awesomeness versus more crits and 50 health? It seems ironic that the unlockable weapon will probably be less skill-dependant than the default weapon.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Ya, but just think, the compressor might be pretty useful, but how often would you really use it? If you use it too much you'll burn through your ammo I think.

With more crits and health you can do stealthy "backstab" missions, it won't help much charging head-on...with the other you can charge head-on and use the air to keep people away...they are quite different...and I'm not sure which is best yet.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM

The update may be up....my copy is downloading an update...

edit: yes, it is up.  I'll try it out later when I have the chance to unlock the first 2 weapons with my brother.

Also, the achievements aren't so horrible this time, and you don't even have to get all of them to unlock everything.  Thank you Valve!

I've got all 3. My preliminary thoughts:

Flare Gun: Kinda funny to use, but also really hard to hit people with. Might be good in special situations.

Backburner: Easily the best of the three, because of the +50 health boost you get when it is equipped. Kinda fun getting criticals on unsuspecting players too.

Axtinguisher: Would probably be really good with an uber pyro situation, but otherwise not that great unless you are in really close quarters. Note that it does -50% damage to non-burning players. I think they might have also powered up the normal axe though.

So no extreme pyro whoring? lol