By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why can't MGS, FF, GT sell as much on PS3 as they did on PS2??

More niche because the audience is smaller, that´s all.

But, back to casual and not-niche. How can a casual game not be not-niche, since casual appeals to everybody?

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
Cost, cost, cost.

How much was the PS2 when those games released? Compare that to the price of the PS3 and that's part of your answer. It's a lot easier to drop $150 for one game than it is $400. There's also a lot more doubt surrounding the PS3 than there ever was around the PS2.

While $400 is still expensive, it ain't what it used to be.

OT: I think this theory is flawed as hell. The first game in the new console always makes the biggest splash, that's why MGS2 sold more than MGS3, FFX sold more than FFXII and GT3 sold more than GT4, despite the latter iterations having the advantage of being released on a bigger install base.

This generation GT5 will be tricky though as there was no GT3:Prologue, but I still reckon that GT5 will sell superbly just like the rest of the series.

Exaccccttttllllyyyyyy. Thank you Darth, I thought I had accidentally stumbled into CrazyLand again.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

rocketpig said:
konnichiwa said:

My definition of niche (what I have learned)..

Niche = A small portion/piece of the total market where the product has sold on...

If you have a meeting at your company where you state your product has sold to 10-20% of the available market the people are going to laugh with you if you call it is niche;..

If MGS4 is niche.... What are games like Okami, SMT then?

Okay, if we are going to pick and choose the appropriate usage of words even when the dictionary contradicts us, from this point forward whenever anyone uses the word "niche", I am going to assume they mean this:

1. A vessel adapted for various domestic purposes, and anciently for sacrificial uses; especially, a vessel of antique or elegant pattern used for ornament; as, a porcelain vase; a gold vase; a Grecian vase. See Illust. of Portland vase, under Portland.

If you buy MGS4, you are planning to use it to kill your dog. I better get the Human Society on speed dial, I have a lot of calling to do.

Bro, I am not especially disagreeing with what you are saying I only hope that you never will be in the position where you have to present the sales of a product to your stockholders/colleques/boss and call it niche when it has sold 10-20% of the market.

darthdevidem01 said:

I have been looking at this issue since I came here and everytime people put down FF13, MGS4 (HA they were proven wrong) & GT 5 as the "lowest" sellers in the franchise.

I don't understand as their argument is usually PS2 had a 120 million userbase.....thats all fine but PS2 DIDN'T have a 120 Million userbase when GT3, FF10 & MGS2 released.....they still sold millions

In fact:

GT 3 released when PS2's userbase was at 11 million (definetely possible for GT5)

http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=PS2®1=All&cons2=PS2®2=All&cons3=PS2®3=All&start=37101&end=37430&weekly=1

n it went on to sell 15 million.

FFX (had a staggered launch) but when it PS2's userbase was at:

5 Million in Japan (granted Ps3 won't be there for FF13)

7 Million in NA (definetely possible for FF13)

8 Million in others (Definetely possible for FF13)

Whenn MGS2 releases the userbase size in each region was a bit lower than that of the FF10 release

so PS3 is really losing out on sales from Japan...thats it, otherwise these key franchises should sell just as much, and the argument that PS2 had a userbase of 120 million bites the dust as when these launched it most certainly didn't.

What do all of you think....is it valid topull the franchise down due to saying "PS2 had a 120 million install base" when majority of the sales are done at launch.??

dude, the PS2 went from 11 mill to 120 mill and sold 15 mill GTA3s, GTA5 might do so too, but only if the PS3 reaches +100 mill, so that userbase is an argument for the total numbers, but can't be used for many specific releases. If the PS3 will stop around 50 mill, you won't see GTA5 selling 15 mill.

''Hadouken!''

Around the Network
memory2zack said:
More niche because the audience is smaller, that´s all.

But, back to casual and not-niche. How can a casual game not be not-niche, since casual appeals to everybody?

Does casual appeal to everyone?

Personally, I don't even know quite how to define "casual". It's such an abstract term for a group of people who happen to buy one product. There's absolutely nothing that ties them together other than one purchase.

Which, in itself, could make it non-niche... Dunno. I'm still trying to sort out exactly what is a "casual gamer". 

konnichiwa said:
rocketpig said:
konnichiwa said:

My definition of niche (what I have learned)..

Niche = A small portion/piece of the total market where the product has sold on...

If you have a meeting at your company where you state your product has sold to 10-20% of the available market the people are going to laugh with you if you call it is niche;..

If MGS4 is niche.... What are games like Okami, SMT then?

Okay, if we are going to pick and choose the appropriate usage of words even when the dictionary contradicts us, from this point forward whenever anyone uses the word "niche", I am going to assume they mean this:

1. A vessel adapted for various domestic purposes, and anciently for sacrificial uses; especially, a vessel of antique or elegant pattern used for ornament; as, a porcelain vase; a gold vase; a Grecian vase. See Illust. of Portland vase, under Portland.

If you buy MGS4, you are planning to use it to kill your dog. I better get the Human Society on speed dial, I have a lot of calling to do.

Bro, I am not especially disagreeing with what you are saying I only hope that you never will be in the position where you have to present the sales of a product to your stockholders/colleques/boss and call it niche when it has sold 10-20% of the market.

Actually, I'm in marketing and have used the term before to describe a very successful product. :D

"We're selling through extremely well to our expected niche", stuff like that makes complete sense, no matter how many products you're selling. Or, more apt for my current company, "We ain't selling shit to our niche right now." :(

Fucking Euro.

For me it's about data that we have. Somehow most of the games thus far have under preformed on the ps3 this gen. MGS4 is the FIRST game to actually have this good sales while also severely raising HW sales(Even GTA4 didn't manage this). If you look at GT4 it sold a lot less than GT3 and the same happened with FF12 compared to FF10. No wonder that some don't believe that the series will sell better than a couple of years ago.

And remember, we have yet to find out just much the games WILL end up selling. All will become clear in a few years time ;).

Huh. Who would've thought that beggining anew in my real life would coincide with starting anew on vgchartz?

Any day now, the dollar will be worth less than 2 zloty......any day now.....and my life savings will be in total jepordy ;(.

rocketpig said:

Which, in itself, could make it non-niche... Dunno. I'm still trying to sort out exactly what is a "casual gamer".

Me too, that´s why I was asking. I thought you would know, nevermind though. I wanted to know if a game like GTAIV could be considered casual or not and what are the criteria for labeling a game casual. 

I think you're right - they will.

This gen, we are seeing less big sellers, and more huge sellers.

The big sellers last gen will see bigger sales, but there will be less new IP monsters. We have already seen signs on this so far.

For the PS3, I think it should make it fairly easy - look here.

MGS 4 should be able to make 5M ish sales, perhaps more due to the bundle. That makes it equal the earlier installments on Ps2

FFXIII should make 5M quite easily, making it equal FFXII. 8M to equal FFX might be a tad high, but within reach.

Gran Turismo 5:P has sold 2.5M already. 5M should be a shoe-in for the full version, with 10M, beating GT4, a possibility.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS