By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why can't MGS, FF, GT sell as much on PS3 as they did on PS2??

@dragonlord

actually GT 5 seems to have the best chance.....as GT 5 prologue outsold all other prologue's

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
darthdevidem01 said:
@Rocketpig

but by the time say they stopped selling the userbase o the PS2 would hardly be past 30 million

besides didn't MGS4 kinda disprove the theory....atleast in Japan

Well, MGS4 is looking to be on par with MGS2 in Japan... They'll be very close, anyway. Another test will be to see if it does 100k next week like MGS2 did when it released and how well it maintains its sales over the next two months. Either way, MGS is a somewhat niche franchise... This proves that hardcore gamers still exist in Japan. The biggest test will be how FF and GT do, two franchises that define their genre and draw in a fair amount of "casuals" (God, I hate that term).

Overall though, good sales for MGS4. The game definitely deserves it and it's nice to see a traditional title do well in Japan.

Calling MGS4 a niche franchise when all is said and done it will most likely have an attach rate of 25% or more within a year is pushing it...

I mean what is a non niche game ?

30% attach rate ?

35% ?

Cause aside GTA4 there aren't such games so I guess every game released these days is a niche game..

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Saiyar said:
rocketpig said:
Cost, cost, cost.

How much was the PS2 when those games released? Compare that to the price of the PS3 and that's part of your answer. It's a lot easier to drop $150 for one game than it is $400. There's also a lot more doubt surrounding the PS3 than there ever was around the PS2.

In the UK the PS2 was £300 when those games were released. Same price as the PS3.

Yes but in Japan and the US the PS2 was cheaper. The PS2 launched at $299.99 here. The PS3 is still above the PS2's launch price.

Could it be that the PS2 was selling far more units per week than the PS3 is now?

It's one thing to say "b-b-but the Playstation 3 has the same number of users the PS2 did when game X launched!" when you take into consideration the PS2 sold very well throughout it's lifetime, allowing for many more new users to adopt a game than PS3 users are.

Go look at GTA3 for the best example of what really matters: user base, or console growth.

If the PS2 was growing at...oh...a 50% higher rate the PS3 currently is, it's very safe to assume then, that games will sell better on the system with the bigger potential install base.

Go look at DMC4 and DW5 for good reasoning.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

PS2 was selling far more in Japan, somewhat more in NA.
PS3 is actually selling far more units/week in Others than the PS2 was.

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Around the Network
daactualfact said:
Dno, that is a bald-faced lie right there! Mgs4 had over 30 tv commercials in just 4 days. It's no way a game can sell big if there are no advertisements.

Oh, I almost forgot the other disadvantage for the Ps3 when it comes to game sales. When the Ps1 and 2 were released, they were priced at a pretty good range. (only about 50 bucks more than the Wii in the Americas.) The ps3, instead is 200 bucks more than that. (100 bucks if you count the 40 gig models.)

o well i didnt see them not one TV ad yet...... but i never said they werent there lol. anyways my bad but i didnt see it which is what i said so its not a lie lol

reptile168 said:
We're living in a different gaming generation.

Racing games sales have staggered in America. GT4 probably did half of what GT3 did with double the user base. GT5 prologue sort of failed in America.

Hm... that's funny... it already outsold GT4P in others.

GT5P - 550k

This was released 2 months ago. And the numbers are 2 months old

GT4P - 410k

And I couldn't tell you how long they sold GT4P for...

Hm... weird... I thought racing games were more popular in Europe...

http://www.polyphony.co.jp/english/list.html

EXACTLY

GT 5 prologue has been UNIVERSALLY successful....its only in Japan where I think it fell short of GT3

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

.......But I wonder if good GT5p sales will translate to higher GT5 sales?

Maybe I'm the only one that thinks that the weaker PS3 userbase will force GT5 to not sell as well as GT5p would have one believe..

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

The GT 4 Prologue VS GT 5 Prologue seems a bit stupid though.. No offense but why buy a Prologue when your console has tons of game, even in the same genre and probably some platinum titles at that time as well..

I mean, GT 6 Prologue will probably see less sales then GT 5 Prologue did for the same reason..