By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will Microsoft Dominate after E3?

trestres said:
Is this thread a joke one?

I almost never agree with you, but I have to this time. This thread is a joke right?

The 360 had a huge year last year, was cheaper and had a far superior online strategy and it was still being outsold most of Q4. Since then, with all those games and price and online it has been outsold for 6 months, almost 7.

You really think that a neutered E3 will change that so much as to bring them not only from being outsold, but outselling the PS3 by a signifcant margin? Thats a what? 30 to 40% increase in sales? Rediculous.

Banjo has been almost universally met with critism from the critics and fans, Gears of War 2 will do well, but an entire company strategy does not equal the release of one game.

Fable 2... I wouldnt add that to tell you the truth. Right now its still an unknown quantity that is being rumored of being pushed to 09. Even if it comes out this year the first one got enough bad press and bad word of mouth (not on the game, which was fun for the whole 7 hours and 40 minutes it took me to beat it) but because Peter couldnt pull his head out of his ass and stop talking. Not to mention that early critic reaction to the game is basically, "Meh."

The rest of your "ace's" are un proven IP's with zero history to go on besides some screens a video or two. Halo Wars will not sell halo numbers. Its an RTS, and they dont work on Consoles, plus HALO fans are not RTS fans, they are SHOOTER fans.

The Xmote is a sad joke I hope, because its not where the 360 needs to go and is just wasted R&D money, if the 360 drops price I would venture to guess the PS3 will do the same within a month since Sony has room to do so (they are currently breaking even/ makeing a small profit on each console), and the 360 is still not profitable per machine.

Its fun to root for the underdog, but really your just rooting for the dead horse. For the 360 to be able to turn their sales around and "dominate" they need to get Japan to buy their systems, get Europe to buy their systems and keep the PS3 from making more Americans buy their system. To do that they need to make a whole lineup for EACH region that will push the system, all you have talked about are three American heavy titles (Halo Wars, Fable 2 and Gears of War 2) and one European aimed title with America as an afterthought (Banjo) and a JRPG that will follow every other JRPG on the 360 into obscurity in Japan.

Also you obviously forgot about firmware 2.40 which will be a "huge" PS3 update all "confirmed" by an official press source. Thats just a point of nit picking, I dont know if I think it will actually have everything they say it will.

Forget the future games section if you are going to make an arguement, I can sit and make a giant list of future titles for the PS3 to rival yours and then we would just fall into a bitter arguement of opinion.

I own all three current consoles and a great gaming rig, now thats out of the way.

This space Reserved for the Nuggets of Wisdom dropped by Bladeforce:

"Why post something like this when all it will get is PS3 owners blinded to reality replying? BOTH THE PS3 AND BLUE-RAY WILL NOT LAST 3 YEARS! TECHNOLOGY CHANGED TOO FAST!"

"is it Wii FIt that has sold as many as PS3's sold? Thats a LOL Look at the total sales of software is it just me that sees Nintendo titles hitting 10m+ and you say they arent making a difference? Another LOL!"

"Hell, with all the negative hype Sony spin, people just aren't interested cost is too high and to get the true HD experience (1080p, 7.1 surround) you will need a $1000+ system. THAT IS GOING TO DO IT IN A RECESSION! PS4 will not happen"

Around the Network

I do not agree that the 360 will "dominate" but I do think it will continue to see increasing sales.

I also do believe that the RPG splurge will fail hardcore in Japan where the 360 is a;ready dead.

If the 360 can regain some momemtum in late 08 it has a chance to beat the PS3 in NA this generation... A huge upset that would be.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

|_emmiwinks said:
trestres said:
Is this thread a joke one?

I almost never agree with you, but I have to this time. This thread is a joke right?

The 360 had a huge year last year, was cheaper and had a far superior online strategy and it was still being outsold most of Q4. Since then, with all those games and price and online it has been outsold for 6 months, almost 7.

You really think that a neutered E3 will change that so much as to bring them not only from being outsold, but outselling the PS3 by a signifcant margin? Thats a what? 30 to 40% increase in sales? Rediculous.

Banjo has been almost universally met with critism from the critics and fans, Gears of War 2 will do well, but an entire company strategy does not equal the release of one game.

Fable 2... I wouldnt add that to tell you the truth. Right now its still an unknown quantity that is being rumored of being pushed to 09. Even if it comes out this year the first one got enough bad press and bad word of mouth (not on the game, which was fun for the whole 7 hours and 40 minutes it took me to beat it) but because Peter couldnt pull his head out of his ass and stop talking. Not to mention that early critic reaction to the game is basically, "Meh."

The rest of your "ace's" are un proven IP's with zero history to go on besides some screens a video or two. Halo Wars will not sell halo numbers. Its an RTS, and they dont work on Consoles, plus HALO fans are not RTS fans, they are SHOOTER fans.

The Xmote is a sad joke I hope, because its not where the 360 needs to go and is just wasted R&D money, if the 360 drops price I would venture to guess the PS3 will do the same within a month since Sony has room to do so (they are currently breaking even/ makeing a small profit on each console), and the 360 is still not profitable per machine.

Its fun to root for the underdog, but really your just rooting for the dead horse. For the 360 to be able to turn their sales around and "dominate" they need to get Japan to buy their systems, get Europe to buy their systems and keep the PS3 from making more Americans buy their system. To do that they need to make a whole lineup for EACH region that will push the system, all you have talked about are three American heavy titles (Halo Wars, Fable 2 and Gears of War 2) and one European aimed title with America as an afterthought (Banjo) and a JRPG that will follow every other JRPG on the 360 into obscurity in Japan.

Also you obviously forgot about firmware 2.40 which will be a "huge" PS3 update all "confirmed" by an official press source. Thats just a point of nit picking, I dont know if I think it will actually have everything they say it will.

Forget the future games section if you are going to make an arguement, I can sit and make a giant list of future titles for the PS3 to rival yours and then we would just fall into a bitter arguement of opinion.

Aaaa, I have been waiting for a PS3 fan to blow a fuse and lone behold, here one is.  First off sir, if you turn your attention to the actual numbers that the PS3 has outsold the 360 you will see that it is really not that high.  In fact, it is a mere 1,078,998 consoles to date. (Refer to VGChartz Data).  So seeing that holiday season is the time to buy consoles and we are not there yet, I find it very tangible that the 360 could sell this amount of consoles during that time.   

Secondly, you state the following, "Banjo has been almost universally met with critism from the critics and fans, Gears of War 2 will do well, but an entire company strategy does not equal the release of one game."

Ok so prior to playing a demo or seeing some quantitative footage the game community is making a judgement?  Wow this sounds familuar doesn't it?  Of course people are critics, I am a critic of every game prior to actually playing but can you really state that it looks bad?  To me having been a fan of the Banjo franchise, I feel that it looks like the best one at first glimpse.  Secondly, Gears 2 and an entire company strategy being placed on 1 game.  Well sir you are stating this about the wrong console.  How many epic games has the PS3 released this year?  How many top-tier games does it have in its stable?  What else are you expecting in 2008 for the PS3?  One game equals MGS4...you have so much more to wait for dont you...

Now Fable 2 and your banter.  Again you state, "Even if it comes out this year the first one got enough bad press and bad word of mouth (not on the game, which was fun for the whole 7 hours and 40 minutes it took me to beat it) but because Peter couldnt pull his head out of his ass and stop talking. Not to mention that early critic reaction to the game is basically, "Meh.""

Well I really dont think you have been reading the right previews of the game or have looked at proper gameplay footage.  This game looks brilliant plain and simple.  You have your opinion and so be it, but for you to provide such a propogandic view is ridicuclous.  From what I have read and seen I dont understand where you are getting such a negitive connotation from but again, you are a PS3 fan and thus I am not surprised. 

Its fun to root for the underdog?  Well I guess that is why you are rooting for the PS3?  See I have a PS3, really I do and I like the machine.  But when a fanboy such as yourself relates so many stupid comments pertaining to the 360 it is really rather comical.  I mean where is Killzone 2?  OOOO yea firmware 2.40, is that a replacement for Home?  Wasn't that suppose to be the big thing coming for the PS3 this year?

You keep looking forward to the BIG PS3 games that are SUPPOSE to be coming out.  I am not saying that the 360 doesnt have its delays but again, at least have a plentora of games to play.  Like I said, E3 will be the deciding factor and I believe based on the points that they will gain some significant ground this year. 

If you are going to try to disprove my point at least provide some sourcing or something that makes some sense.   

Sorry 1 more thing.  If the 360 drops price I would venture to guess the PS3 will do the same within a month since Sony has room to do so (they are currently breaking even/ makeing a small profit on each console), and the 360 is still not profitable per machine.

You my friend, need to re-investigate the facts of which machine is more profitable.  If not use some common sense mmk.  PS3 release 2006, 360 release 2005.  PS3 Blu Ray, 360 DL-DVD, PS3 Blue-tooth, 360 Wireless, shall I go on?  PS3 is still loosing money on there machine while the 360 has been attaining profit for quite some time.

Thanks for coming to the party.

Ive said it before- the x-mote can suck my balls.

And to the OP: the 360 is cheaper now yet comes last every week in sales....so....

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

The 360 is already half the price of the ps3 in the EU, so a price drop there (they technically already had one in March) won't do any good.

The only territory in which a price drop would be effective is the US, but I don't think that would be enough to turn the tide globally or anything.

Also, you left off quite a few ps3 games from your list. :P

Around the Network
disolitude said:
I agree that xbox christmas lineup may have more ZING! than PS3's.

Sony has pretty much blown its load with MGS4 for they year...but damn, what a load it was. I still got goo on my pants...

Im sorry the PS3 came all over you sir...also Im sorry you were in the way to catch the load...lmfao

solojohlo said:
Fanatical111 said:

Banjo>LBP anyday

Gears>RFOM anyday

The rest are all much smaller releases in comparision to the 360 lineup IMO.

LBP has gained an almost universally positive reception from everyone who has ever touched or seen it, Banjo has had a mixed reception from both gaming websites who had hands on time and even its fans (me included). Rare have lost their way, and I feel that your placement of banjo above LBP has more to do with its platform than its actual quality (but I do agree with you about gears, it was a far better game that resistance, I think it will be a closer battle this time qualitywise though as what I have so far seen of resistance 2 is very interesting)

Gears of War 2 ≥ Resistance Fall of Man 2

Little Big Planet > and ≠ Banjo Kazooie

kowenicki said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Is M$ couldn't DOMINATE over S3 at XMAS in a "HALO" year with a LOWER PRICE

their NEVER gonna be able to do it...

I hope you are re-sitting your English exam.... Jesus.  Grammar and spelling is all over the place... as usual.

lmfao

1. 360's already cheaper and being outsold.

2.Gears, Fable, and Halo are all million sellers but so are Socom, Tekken 6, and Resistance 2. No major advantage there...

3. Ill post this in depth in a minute.

4. That was a joke right? If anything IF that did happen it would hurt 360 sales and they'd probably get hit with some sort of lawsuit from Nintendo somehow.

5. This is entirely wrong. First, no ball has been dropped on home, every sensible ps3 owner cares about/cant wait for it most likely and the PSN becomes better with each update and oh yea its free.

rocketpig said:
leo-j said:
Dude..

resistance was a better game than fable, you only have 1 proven IP coming for the 360 this year and thats GEARS OF WAR( dont mention halo wars, strategy games on consoles dont mix)

Also you act as if resistance 2 and LBP are the only games coming exclusively to the PS3 this year =/

You completely forgot about 2.40 as well.

Also you have no proof of a price cut nor that the XMOTE is coming.. (I price cut would hurt microosft in the US, the dollar is droping in value)

1. I disagree. I thought Fable was a more interesting game.

2. Again, this is like comparing Caddyshack to Deliverance. I will never understand why people insist on comparing vastly different games.

3. How is Resistance a proven IP yet Fable isn't? Does not compute. 

fable is a very linear game, a very bad clone of zelda