By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii HW architechture.

Wii HW architecture diagram

June 15th, 2008 by bushing · 5 Comments

Inspired by henke37’s idea of making a diagram that shows how the different processors on the Wii relate to each other, I took a stab at it.  I got a little carried away I guess.

I can’t promise everything here is right — there are just too many things we don’t know, and even some of the things we do know, we don’t all agree on.    So, here’s my first attempt at summing it all up:

http://hackmii.com/ Any one with knowledge about theese things please post and spread your lnowledge.

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

Around the Network

Does the Wii use software emulation to play Gamecube games or does it have the Gamecube's CPU/GPU?

I thought the Hollywood was an upgraded Flipper but the Flipper had a better design..... wow honestly that architecture sucks.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Do we have an architecture expert here?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

ssj12 said:
I thought the Hollywood was an upgraded Flipper but the Flipper had a better design..... wow honestly that architecture sucks.

Please explain as I am no good at this

Around the Network

To be honest: A very powerfull architecure. Nintendo and Ati tried something new with flipper/hollywood.

You guys who are saying it either sucks or is great need to elaborate. WHY is it good or bad?

We all know the GC had untapped potential only glimpsed in titles like Rogue Squadron II and III and that the Wii is more powerful GC hardware, but there are so many secrets still about it, we don't know what it's limitations or possibilities truly are. ELABORATION would be nice.

ssj12 probably doesn't know shit about hardware architectures. He just assumes the Wii's sucks because it isn't a PC (which, ironically, has the worst architecture imaginable for obvious reasons).

The design looks very clean and well laid-out ...

Interesting. So it's "Starlet" that does all the routing work. It seriously uses an ARM926 for that, though? I shouldn't be surprised; they're used in a lot of devices, and thus are quite affordable...

Incidentally, that diagram is all of the "Hollywood" chipset, from the looks of it. That's a pretty impressive chipset, all things considered.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.