By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii HW architechture.

Sky Render said:
Interesting. So it's "Starlet" that does all the routing work. It seriously uses an ARM926 for that, though? I shouldn't be surprised; they're used in a lot of devices, and thus are quite affordable...

Incidentally, that diagram is all of the "Hollywood" chipset, from the looks of it. That's a pretty impressive chipset, all things considered.

Could you please explain what is impressive and good or bad so that I and others could understand?

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

Around the Network
Chrizum said:
ssj12 probably doesn't know shit about hardware architectures. He just assumes the Wii's sucks because it isn't a PC (which, ironically, has the worst architecture imaginable for obvious reasons).

wtf are you talking about?

That is a much cleaner GPU architexture. (Radeon HD2xxx Series)

Xbox 360's architexture. Much cleaner design.

The problem with the Hollywood is that the data routes don't seem to allow a smooth transfer fo data throughout the chipset.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

ssj12 said:
I thought the Hollywood was an upgraded Flipper but the Flipper had a better design..... wow honestly that architecture sucks.

How could you say it sucks when the OP himself said he's not completely sure about it. I don't know how learned you are about specs and stuff, but Nintendo hasn't even released much info about the specs, so whether they suck or not remains to be seen.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Isn´t there anyone that can explain this to us mortals?

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

This is one of those topics where "you can remain silent and appear to be an idiot, or open your mouth and remove all doubt." I'll admit i have had a class on CPU architecture but it mostly dealt with the ancient 8085 and not the new stuff.

Kickin' Those Games Old School.       -       201 Beaten Games And Counting

Around the Network
Nickelbackro said:
This is one of those topics where "you can remain silent and appear to be an idiot, or open your mouth and remove all doubt." I'll admit i have had a class on CPU architecture but it mostly dealt with the ancient 8085 and not the new stuff.

Yeah, I'm in a similar boat ... I did several classes in hardware based on the Motorola 86000 (which was an excellent processor to learn for conceptual purposes) but I'm not qualified to say much beyond "It looks pretty clean"

To sum it up, the "Hollywood" relies on an ARM926 processor, clocked at somewhere close to 200MHz (which, by modern GPU standards, isn't that fast). Said processor, the "Starlet", acts as the go-between for almost all graphics-related operations. Since it's a dedicated graphics processor instead of a series of processors for different tasks (most GPU have multiple processors these days), that means that the Wii has more limited graphics-rendering capabilities. I'd put it about on par with what PC graphics cards could do circa 2001 or 2002.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.