By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - who is the icon of gaming?

The only two developers that have even the smallest claim to the title are Miyamoto and Will Wright. No other developers come close in terms of renown. Maybe Sid Maier, but only because he started getting billing. A super, super distant fourth would probably be Kojima. Beyond that very few developers have celebrity status at all. We may know their names, but they aren't really icons in the same way.

If you want to go with a console guy, you'd probably say Miyamoto. If you want a PC guy, you'd say Wright. Miyamoto is probably more THE guy, but Wright isn't exactly a bad choice.

My consoles and the fates they suffered:

Atari 7800 (Sold), Intellivision (Thrown out), Gameboy (Lost), Super Nintendo (Stolen), Super Nintendo (2nd copy) (Thrown out by mother), Nintendo 64 (Still own), Super Nintendo (3rd copy) (Still own), Wii (Sold)

A more detailed history appears on my profile.

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
Andrex said:
Miyamoto easily.

And why is it unfortunate Mario dethroned Pacman? Mario has always been superior.

Because Pac-Man is a pleasant character, while Mario is extremely annoying.

Nah I don't think so. Besides Pacman IS obnoxious if you play his later game or watch the cartoon.

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles fan for life. <3

Character: Mario san
Game Developer: Miyamoto sama

I'm just thinking, i'm quite sure just as many people would know who pacman is as those who know who mario is.. i just can't imagine asking a person in melbourne (where i live) who is under say 40 who wouldn't know who either of those two icons are

Pac-Man, Donkey Kong and these days Mario.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Around the Network

Mario is better then known then Mickey Mouse even. So if Mickey Mouse is synonymous with cartoons, you can bet you're sweet ass mario is the same to videogames.

The Doctor will see you now  Promoting Lesbianism -->

Mario easily.

I hope DK makes a spectacular comeback soon.. Screw the truce it's time to crack out those barrels and show Mario who's boss.

Mario of course.

Nintendo Network ID: Sherlock99

It depends. Miyamoto is obviously the most popular. Beyond that Sid, Wright, John Carmack and Lord British come to mind.