By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - does MGS4 have better graphics then crysis?

Here is your thousands dollars Personal Computer. With Blu-Ray.

For less than $500.

I can't believe this thread is still going. I go to sleep, come back, and the thread is still going. Sheesh. 

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
Musouka said:
shio said:
JaggedSac said:
Once I saw this thread I knew I would encounter a person claiming to run Crysis on high(depends on what we are referring to as high) on a $500 pc. All lies, do not believe them. LOL. Crysis is probably the most unoptimized game I have ever seen.

$500 gaming PC plays Crysis on High

The article is 2 months old, so it may be even cheaper now.

But you will have to do some overclocking and volt mods, which is not always safe for your equipment.

And I won't call 17.5 fps with no AA (and 5.3 with 4xAA) playable.

Why are you quoting the results for 1680x1050 resolution?

Since this is a MGS4 vs Crysis thread, it makes more sense to quote the 1024x768 results, which are 37.1 fps without AA on High quality. Without overclocking.

Well, it is just a personal viewpoint so don't take it as science: the way you play on the PC is usually up close. Not even half a meter separates me from my 24" monitor compared to 1.5-2 meters from my 32" LCD TV. Hence, you will need more details to get the same garphical juice.

Besides, MGS4 can be upscalled to 1080P

No foreign sky protected me,
No stranger's wing shielded my face.
I stand as witness to the common lot,
survivor of that time, that place.

- From 'Requiem' by Anna Akhmatova

Musouka said:
NJ5 said:
Musouka said:
shio said:
JaggedSac said:
Once I saw this thread I knew I would encounter a person claiming to run Crysis on high(depends on what we are referring to as high) on a $500 pc. All lies, do not believe them. LOL. Crysis is probably the most unoptimized game I have ever seen.

But you will have to do some overclocking and volt mods, which is not always safe for your equipment.

Since this is a MGS4 vs Crysis thread, it makes more sense to quote the 1024x768 results, which are 37.1 fps without AA on High quality. Without overclocking.

Well, it is just a personal viewpoint so don't take it as science: the way you play on the PC is usually up close. Not even half a meter separates me from my 24" monitor compared to 1.5-2 meters from my 32" LCD TV. Hence, you will need more details to get the same garphical juice.

What? You don't connect your PC to your LCD TV? :/

Hell no. Its not even the best technical looking console game, and better than Crysis? No. Screw this thread, lol.

Topmac said:
Some of us-most of us-99.9% of us prefer to play our games out the box without hacking/moding/soddering shit to our system.

And wtf are the specs for "$500 PC" on toms hardware? Sounds pretty vague. Send me a link for any pc with a BD drive and cell equivalent for $500..... Aint gonna happen. But please try I want you to prove me wrong.

Right on man. I just love the ability to pop in a disc and start playing right away, no need to install or anything....

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Around the Network
sieanr said:
Topmac said:
Some of us-most of us-99.9% of us prefer to play our games out the box without hacking/moding/soddering shit to our system.

And wtf are the specs for "$500 PC" on toms hardware? Sounds pretty vague. Send me a link for any pc with a BD drive and cell equivalent for $500..... Aint gonna happen. But please try I want you to prove me wrong.

Right on man. I just love the ability to pop in a disc and start playing right away, no need to install or anything....

...because you don't need to install MGS4 before playing.... and between every act......

And by the way, PC games always need to install, but this generation you don't necessarily need to pop in the disks to play them (Steam + EA's copy protection + cracks = Disk Free PC games) 

Topmac said:

BD drive unimportant when you talk about PC's.  PCs run all of the game data off of the hard drive, taking advantage of the access to cheaper large capacity drives.  The Cell processor hasn't yet shown itself to be greater than current PC processors at games, so keep that little fanboy card off the table.  The graphics cards that can be bought for PCs in the medium price range are now 2 generations past the RSX chip and the 360's ATI chip.  PC's not as expensive as they used to be to run good looking games.

The thread asked if MGS looked better than Crysis.  The answer is clearly yes.  Consoles, however are a different world.  Hardware is locked for the life of the system and the games are different.  PC games revolve around the keyboard and mouse and take advantage of he constant release of new PC hardware.  Just because PC games look better (as they always will), doesn't mean that people will flock to PCs.  Many people prefer the console gaming experience of sitting on the couch in their living room.  If we lived in an alternate universe where people found computer chairs more comfortable, maybe it would be the other way.  Arguing console over PC and vise versa is an apples and oranges argument.  However, if you argue graphic comparisons, 999 times out of 1000, the PC is going to win.  If you are a console fan and haven't gotten used to this by now, you have been living in a cave.

I give that post a 9.0. 

Thank god for the disable signatures option.

wow you fanboys are ridiculous do you guys just throw logic and reason out of the window when it comes to your console of choice? sheesh

davygee said:
NJ5 said:
davygee said:
It should be:

Does MGS4 on a $399 PS3 look better to Crysis run on a $399 PC?

And I think the answer would more often than not be yes.

Even if you're right, it's a bit unfair to put it that way, since most people NEED a PC anyway. A PC does much more than a PS3, so let's not pretend we can set equal prices for both and expect to be doing a fair comparison of PC+Crysis versus PS3+MGS4 performance.

What more does a PC do, that a PS3 cannot? I'm pretty sure, you could create programs for the PS3 that would operate similarly to what works on a PC. Also, I have not even mentioned the BR drive either.

Crysis is a beautiful game that requires an expensive PC to run at it's highest settings. MGS4 is a beautiful game that probably isn't as nice looking as Crysis on Ultra High, but certainly looks better than what a $400 PC can offer.

Anyway, this is a stupid thread anyway. We should be comparing games in this generation and PC's aren't part of this generation.

Play Crysis. :D

Seriously though, do you really need an answer to that question? 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

fazz said:
Musouka said:
NJ5 said:
Musouka said:
shio said:
JaggedSac said:

What? You don't connect your PC to your LCD TV? :/

Nope, it is connected to my Dell 2408 monitor. My consoles are connected to a 32" LCD TV. I was comparing the two setups.

No foreign sky protected me,
No stranger's wing shielded my face.
I stand as witness to the common lot,
survivor of that time, that place.

- From 'Requiem' by Anna Akhmatova