By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - does MGS4 have better graphics then crysis?

my point is medium to high settings is the way most people play the game anyway, so what would be so different?

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network

Crysis is significantly better in several areas, not least of which is outright graphics.

One thing that struck me as funny about MGS is how bad most of the facial animations are. Some of them even appear to be synched to a japanese track - the lip movements are just that out of synch.

The game is also incredibly linear, so spaces are confined and where the player can go is limited, often in the most obvious way possible. On the other hand Crysis gives a lot of leeway and allows you to go all over the place, in addition to shooting down trees and the like.

Where you consistently see the best graphics in MGS are the cutscenes, but thos should be taken with a heaping grain of salt. I've noticed considerable macroblocking and posterization in several of them, which means that their actually pre-rendered videos (probably why the game needs a 50gb BR). Now these cutscenes do use in-game assets, although I think they may be using better character models. Also keep in mind that all the environments seen in them were babied, unlike the rest of the game which can look pretty shoddy and half-assed in parts. But most significant is how much action and effects are present in many of the cutscenes. Based on frame-rate drops I've experienced with a moderate amount of action on screen there is just no way the game engine could pull those things off in real time. Also, there are some effects that are only present in cutscenes.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

yup this is some funny shit you guys are hilarious

psrock said:
my point is medium to high settings is the way most people play the game anyway, so what would be so different?

Then you are off topic, this thread is about the Visuals of two games, Crysis eventually will be played on very high by almost every semi-decent setup, MGS4 will no go any further, still, there is no small gap or anything, Crysis shows the best graphics out there rigth now, so I still can't see your point...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."
leo-j said:
sc94597 said:

The cell was good for physics 3 years ago. Now the cell is far inferior to pc cpus. Not to mention that the cell is running in-order while all pc cpus since the pentium 2 were running in an out of order excustion, which isn't advicable for applications. It causes far mroe delay when processing.So for most code you shoudl cut the clock speed of the cell in half. It also loses some of its advantage in multi threading in this. I would say as a processor for gaming the cell is just as good as the xenon, but as a processor for other things it surpasses many modern pc cpus. For the cell being good for physics, out of all of the consoles yes, but compared to pc cpus not at all. This is without factoring the use of physics cards.

No, I need actual evidence of this information, Saying its far inferior to PC cpus is a lie. Also saying its as powerful as the XENOS is false.

Benchmarks

http://www.geekpatrol.ca/2006/11/playstation-3-performance/

That proves that the clock speed of the cell is about 1.6ghz if you compare it to another cpu that runs in order. I also never said that it equaled the xenos. Its significantly better in than the xenos in many things, but games aren't one of them. Its just a little bit better in that area. 

Around the Network
FJ-Warez said:
psrock said:
i just want to know what are guys going to say when Crysis is announce for the consoles, i cant wait.
And as i said before Crysis looks better than MGS4, but only in high settings which 90% of people computer cant even handle.

Most of us already know that eventually it will come to consoles, but almost all of us agree that the consoles can not run it on high or very high, and it will fall between medium and high (With a trend to medium and probablu sub-hd) and with less details and things on screen...

bolded part will probably not be true.

Loud_Hot_White_Box said:
FJ-Warez said:
psrock said:
i just want to know what are guys going to say when Crysis is announce for the consoles, i cant wait.
And as i said before Crysis looks better than MGS4, but only in high settings which 90% of people computer cant even handle.

Most of us already know that eventually it will come to consoles, but almost all of us agree that the consoles can not run it on high or very high, and it will fall between medium and high (With a trend to medium and probablu sub-hd) and with less details and things on screen...

And  you came to that conclusion how?

sc94597 said:
leo-j said:
sc94597 said:

The cell was good for physics 3 years ago. Now the cell is far inferior to pc cpus. Not to mention that the cell is running in-order while all pc cpus since the pentium 2 were running in an out of order excustion, which isn't advicable for applications. It causes far mroe delay when processing.So for most code you shoudl cut the clock speed of the cell in half. It also loses some of its advantage in multi threading in this. I would say as a processor for gaming the cell is just as good as the xenon, but as a processor for other things it surpasses many modern pc cpus. For the cell being good for physics, out of all of the consoles yes, but compared to pc cpus not at all. This is without factoring the use of physics cards.

No, I need actual evidence of this information, Saying its far inferior to PC cpus is a lie. Also saying its as powerful as the XENOS is false.

Benchmarks

http://www.geekpatrol.ca/2006/11/playstation-3-performance/

That proves that the clock speed of the cell is about 1.6ghz if you compare it to another cpu that runs in order. I also never said that it equaled the xenos. Its significantly better in than the xenos in many things, but games aren't one of them. Its just a little bit better in that area.

To be fair, that bench was generated using a linux bench program that probably didn't take into account any speed the spu's would offer if you were running a game that was programmed to use them.  Most linux programs just use the main core. For virtually all PC programs the bench has merit for comparisons, but the spu's help out if specific programs are tailored to use them.

Crysis grahpics sucks compared to this.

Loud_Hot_White_Box said:
FJ-Warez said:
psrock said:

GO back a look for the pic of sc94597, it says 900 mb (Rounded) of ram used by the game (Is not counting vram), so how much ram does the 360 and the PS3 have??

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."