By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is he 360 doing great?

K my last post was a joke. But in all seriousness, no it is doing poorly.

For a console that has
- The Best Online Ever For A Console (Yes admit it PS3 boys)
- $200 cheaper than a PS3
- Halo 3 (Biggest Game For It)
- Best Line Up of Games

It cant outsell the PS3 or Wii, which is poor in my eyes. Not to mention that it has had nearly 3 years to fix RROD which it hasnt, which is appualing.

Around the Network

It's making money and it's outselling its predecessor. That's good! However, it isn't igniting the sales charts and is out of the battle for the first place. Depending on which side you are sitting, one factor will weight more than the other.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

@ Gamer4eva

The Best Online Ever For A Console (Yes admit it PS3 boys)

The need to pay/subscribe for online gaming IMO degrades the experience and hinders potential. A majority of 360 owners aren't subscribed to gold to play online. On the PS3 you can expect all your internet connected friends to be able to play online games together.

Also the online gaming experience differs on a per game basis, there are dedicated servers for many great online PS3 games like Resistance, Warhawk, Motorstorm, etc. With regard to game lag I think the PS3 experience for such games beat 360 games, Also for instance Singstar sports a really great online SingStore. So 2 very important strongpoints, new firmware updates and Home will probably take the overall experience well beyond what the 360 can deliver. (the 360's 32 MB firmware memory is as good as full, this while the two 128 MB firmware memory chips still provide lots of free space for significant improvements, also no default harddrive).

On topic: The 360 currently performs as expected, maybe a little worse as Halo 3 did not have the profound impact as expected and neither did the recent European pricecut. This year with games like Star Wars, Fable 2 and Gears 2 I think the 360 will do OK (however selling many millions of units less than the PS3), there are still millions of XBox owners in Europe and North America who still haven't upgraded towards the 360 despite the complete lack of support for the original box.

Next year I think the 360 platform will really hurt in terms of sales. Market saturation kicking in (the pool of upgrading XBox fans dying out) and far more profound competition with the PS3, etc. I think the PS3 will become the most interesting console for FPS games, a market segment the XBox was far more suitable for than the PS2.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

its doing good

Considering even with the older X360 failure rates prior to the falcon design it continues to keep a good sales pace. MS is making a profit in its Games Division for the first time ever, whereas Sony, unfortunately, is quickly depleting its PS2/PSP profits to keep PS3 afloat. People scream for price cuts, but investors could care less about sales numbers unless they turn a profit, which Sony is not. MS has nowhere to go but up, and even 1-2 years from now (IF) they finish 3rd, they will have a significantly large user base that will continue to provide MS with profits for a future designed consol. XBox360 is doing good, and regardless of fanboy opinion, XBox360 success = a win, win for all gamers!

Around the Network

Wii is doing great.

PS3 and 360 not so great in comparison...

It's not doing great, but it will be good if 360 reaches 40 million lifetime (which seems likely).

MS is increasing it's sales, and building a strong console community with Xbox Live, which will help maintain it's userbase and keep getting stronger.

ToastyJaguar said:
Wii is doing great.

PS3 and 360 not so great in comparison...

IMO it would have been unthinkable for the PS3 to do Wii numbers at this point of time, even if there would be such demand I think Sony simply wouldn't have produced the amount needed to meet demand or keep pricing up and games releases down until cost reduced enough. The PS3 is a console built for the near future, if the PS3 would have done Wii-like numbers it would have posed serious short term financial risks for Sony.

Nintendo and Sony have very different strategies, Microsoft seems to try to take middle ground but receives huge competition from Nintendo regarding the lowend market as well as strong competition from the PS3 with regard to the high-end market.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

shio said:
It's not doing great, but it will be good if 360 reaches 40 million lifetime (which seems likely).

IMO the 360 will certainly beat the original XBox in terms of sales, but that console didn't fare too well IMO. Prematurely discontinued and unsupported. However the gaming market is expanding and the 360 probably stays a few years longer on the market. But I don't think the 360 will reach a 40 million install base before being discontinued.

Ironically the RRoD issues may help to increase 360 sales, I know various people who bought an Elite in the hopes it's better and for HDMI and they are closely following if a new more sturdy Blu-Ray equipped version comes out. People buying many units allows for the second hand refurb market to develop. I do think a new Microsoft console may receive more scepticism and restraint from current fans, if they evaluate all the headache issues and costs involved with regard to the current platform.

PS3 vs 360 sales

Last gen Europe/others:

ConsoleXBoxPS2
Total Others

This gen Europe/others:

ConsoleX360PS3
Total Others

Yes, the X360 is doing great.