By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Final Fantasy XIII Is Going To Be Amazing!

Not being a pessimist or something.. I'm just worried at how XIII gameplay will be. I'm hoping they'd be on E3.

Around the Network
Soriku said:
Vaan is the best FF main character. She's so hawt--

Uh...I mean...
Did you play FFXII?  Vaan wasn't really all that interesting and is quite dull.  Don't get me wrong, I like FFXII.

And the battle of the fanboys continues... *sigh*

FFXIII will sell really well, specially in Japan. But it won't reach the high numbers all fanboys expect. 6 -7 million in it's lifetime in fact it's very reasonable and will change the balance of HD RPG dominance in favor to Sony. However, this time it won't be as remarkable as you might wish to make PS3 No.1. The impact it will create will be less than what FFX did, which was less thanwhat FFVII did.

And no, I'm not talking about install base. It's because right now, there are more companies as talented as SE in making RPGs as SE than before and they can make any other platform a system seller as well. And there are gamers that grew tired of the FF series (like me) and rather explore other RPGs.

FF games are not in the same position as in the past. On PS1 you could say that FF games were the best (not me, I like Xenogears a lot more) with litte arguements. On PS2, there were games that were stepping on the FF's toes or even surpass them (but weren't as succesful because FF is a far better known name). On PS3, the path is far more difficult.

I don't know why people are saying Final Fantasy VII female characters were good characters. One of the things that really disappointed me in that game was the female character development. If you take a careful look at them, they just have terribly boring personalities.

Of the playable characters, Tifa is the most developed. That's unfortunate since her personality is that of a submissive female, a classic gender stereotype still entrenched in Japan. Square tried to cover the shallowness of her personality by making her a physical fighter in combat...and apparently it worked for many people. Sure she has backstory, but past doesn't DEVELOP a character if the character is almost exactly the same and doesn't have any more depth after the events in the past.

By implication, Aeris is worse. This is because Aeris doesn't even seem to have a personality I can pinpoint. She just DOES stuff throughout the game. I've never seen her show any form of strong emotional display really, so if she had a personality, she sure did a good job of hiding it. Of course, in this case I could be wrong as I may have just missed a remarkable personality, but this is just how I feel.

I'm quite sure the other female characters did not do much better than these two either. Really, it was sad as it showed a significant regression from the deep and interesting female characters of Final Fantasy VI. And the even had a longer game during which to develop them!

the_bloodwalker said:

And the battle of the fanboys continues... *sigh*

FFXIII will sell really well, specially in Japan. But it won't reach the high numbers all fanboys expect. 6 -7 million in it's lifetime in fact it's very reasonable and will change the balance of HD RPG dominance in favor to Sony. However, this time it won't be as remarkable as you might wish to make PS3 No.1. The impact it will create will be less than what FFX did, which was less thanwhat FFVII did.

And no, I'm not talking about install base. It's because right now, there are more companies as talented as SE in making RPGs as SE than before and they can make any other platform a system seller as well. And there are gamers that grew tired of the FF series (like me) and rather explore other RPGs.

FF games are not in the same position as in the past. On PS1 you could say that FF games were the best (not me, I like Xenogears a lot more) with litte arguements. On PS2, there were games that were stepping on the FF's toes or even surpass them (but weren't as succesful because FF is a far better known name). On PS3, the path is far more difficult.

FF has too much competition to be considered a top-tier RPG series anymore for a lot of people.

Around the Network

@Riachu

I agree. Some even say (including me) that FF lost its touch.

--Edit--

Maybe FFIV on DS can make me believe again

I hope FF13 is as good as FFX.

the_bloodwalker said:
@Riachu

--Edit--

FFXII is a great game but it just doesn't have the same magic that previous FF games.  Hopefully, FFXIII could finally bring the series(and S-E) back to its glory days.  It also doesn't help that they keep milking the franchise.  KH is really popular but you don't see that series getting milked(I am aware of the DS and PSP game).

Final Fantasy XIII will sell between 12 to 15 million copies.
Final Fantasy XIII Versus will sell over 8 million copies.
PS3 hardware sales will sell through the roof.

Riachu said:
the_bloodwalker said:
@Riachu

--Edit--

FFXII is a great game but it just doesn't have the same magic that previous FF games. Hopefully, FFXIII could finally bring the series(and S-E) back to its glory days. It also doesn't help that they keep milking the franchise. KH is really popular but you don't see that series getting milked(I am aware of the DS and PSP game).

You got some pretty positive predictions there :D