By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - what game will challenge OoT for top spot?

brute said:
Kenology said:
Honestly, I don't know if anything can dethrone OoT. One day maybe, but when OoT was released the stars were synchronized, the moon was blue, and the game was hyped beyond anything released today and it actually *exceeded* those expectations.

For that to happen again would be one in a million.

what about halo3 and GTA4 they got more hype then OoT

I edited! 

But I don't know.  We can't really quantify hype, but OoT was riding a hype-train or enormous proportions back in 1998.  But then again, given how much bigger the industry is today and the retardedly huge marketing budget of Halo 3 and GTAIV, I guess we could say the latter two were more hyped.

Around the Network

These are only suggestions of games that may challenge it, i'm not saying they will pass it:

- Gears of War 2 - The first one got a 94, so if they improve it it could get higher in the 90's

- Resistance 2 - A longshot considering the first one got an 86, but it could be a dramatic improvement

- Gran Turismo 5 - This series has a history of scoring 90's. Prologue got an 80 but only b/c it wasn't the full version

- Killzone 2 - Miracles can happen

- Final Fantasy 13 - I don't know what scores this series usually gets, but this game will be hyped

- Halo 4 - They obviously aren't making #3 the last in the series, its Xbox's big game.

- Little Big Planet - Could go either way really, but its a fresh new IP.

Thats about all i can think of. But i don't see any game passing it in the near future. The game with the best chance i'd say is GT5, it will have stunning graphics, great online, great gameplay/physics, etc. And will be the best driving game of all time.

@ coolestguyever - No way any of those will come close to dethroning OoT.

Spore, no way. Previews already say it's too shallow. Groundbreaking, innovating and lots of fun, but each gameplay "section" is very shallow.

Super Mario Galaxy 2? Needs a better story and camera and multiplayer and 1 or 2 big free roaming super mario sunshine ish levels, and then it would be a 10/10 in my book.

Around the Network

Fable 2, if it is flawless.... but on a more rational hope, I think spore.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

you seemed to be obsessed with this thing, does it really matter?

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

Zelda OoT 2.

leo-j said:
Nothing will, you give any game an 8 and its out, even if it deserves an 11(MGS4).

Is this like how you declared FF7 the best Final Fantasy every despite not ever playing any Final Fantasy?

Spore could do it... but i gotta feel it get some hate from someone just for coming out what feels like years late since they were showing this game off a long time ago.

Is really hard to dethrone Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of time, but not impossible.

The real challenge is not how better the game looks or plays or sounds or.... is how much more "groundbreaking" the game really is. A groundbreaking game is one that clearly shows achievements in game design and development in ways no other develper could ever imagine and set a new standard in the process. Oh and before any fanboy attacks:

achievement in design =/= achievement in technology

Is not about how much more polygons is put on screen, or the tertures, or the soudtrack, or the gameplay. Is how all these elements are put together in balance and to fulfil the vision of the game like no other company ever could imagine.  And the games made with that vision set a new standard point from all following games should follow.

i will give you examples that explain this better.

-MGS4 nor Splinter Cell could be what they are now if it werent for the original MGS for PS1 --> MGS1 is more groundbreaking

-GTA4 could never be like it is now if GTA3 werent the way it was back then. GTA3 is more groundbreaking.

-WW not TP could be the way they are if OoT wasn't made like it was back then.

-3D platform games could not evolve like thay did if it weren't for Mario 64.

Any platform (and PC) can have a groundbreaking game that will surpass OoT. But is up to the game developers and NOT the platform the game will be on