By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The most promising energy generation technology

There is a lot of debate over where the energy will come from after fossil fuels run out. All of the current 'environmental' technologies like wind, wave, tidal, biomass and solar produce unreliable and low outputs as well as using up valuable land. The only major renewable technologies capable of producing large amounts of energy are geothermal and hydroelectric - both of which can only be used in certain areas. Hydroelectric also damages local ecosystems and uses a lot of land.

So, where do we go?

Nuclear fusion. While not commercially viable, research into it is already taking place. Estimates put the first commercial station in 2050, but a research station (specifically D-T fusion in tokamak confinement) that will produce net power has a final design and is beginning construction.

Nuclear fusion is:

- Safe. A failure at the plant that breaks plasma containment would make the reaction stop by itself and no dangerous substances would enter the environment. The plant itself may be damaged, but this is true of conventional power stations too. As for terrorist threats, none of the material needed for a fusion bomb can be derived by breaking into a fusion power plant or storage facility - there is no additional danger by building one.

- Cheap. Once the reaction is contained and started, it is self-sustaining. The fuel quantities needed are small compared to fossil fuel stations, and there are no extraordinary decomissioning costs that cause nuclear fission plants to be expensive to build.

- Reliable. The reaction need never stop.

- Clean. The solid waste products are primarily safe, and though some of the reactor may become radioactive after many years of use, it is low-level waste that vanishes in tens, not millions, of years. It produces no greenhouse gases or acid rain causing chemicals.

- Sustainable. While the reaction is not renewable, all of the main fuels are found in abundance on Earth and are not concentrated in unstable regions like the Middle East. The deuterium can be derived from seawater, for example.

- Scalable. There is no reason why fusion power cannot expand to fulfil the Earth's needs. A single plant will produce more energy than a similar size fission installation, so if all current power station sites are replaced with fusion, no additional land is needed.

There is only one problem - funding. Few bodies seem willing to invest the billions of dollars needed to create a viable power plant. The returns, not only in power but in new science and technology, are great enough to justify it in my view. The ITER project, involving  the EU, India, Japan, People's Republic of China, Russia, South Korea, and the USA, is the most promising route to fusion power at present.

With all of the advantages of fusion power, the USA, in its infinite wisdom concerning the environment and oil running out, has cancelled all funding for ITER. The project will be delayed and will miss out on US technology expertise because of this brilliant decision. Thanks, America.

Around the Network

lol, did you say Nuclear Fusion??

no offense, that technology is at least 200 years away. The nature has been doing it for day one (over 13 billion years ago) and we are nowhere near even making that work, much less perfect it.

Heck, we aren't even ready to make Hydrogen cell commercial in cars, I will wait and see.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

We should just use a solar array like in Mobile Suit Gundam 00

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Dilithium

kingofwale said:

Heck, we aren't even ready to make Hydrogen cell commercial in cars, I will wait and see.

Hydrogen fuel cells don't make energy. It takes as much energy to get the hydrogen from the water as it does to burn it and form water (otherwise the conservation of energy would be violated).

"Dilithium"

Yeah, that doesn't exist. Deuterium does (Hydrogen with 1p and 1n), as does Tritium (Hydrogen with 1p and 2n).

"We should just use a solar array like in Mobile Suit Gundam 00"

Unreliable and requires very, very large areas of land to generate enough energy to match a conventional power station.

Around the Network
Soleron said:
kingofwale said:

Hydrogen fuel cells don't make energy. It takes as much energy to get the hydrogen from the water as it does to burn it and form water (otherwise the conservation of energy would be violated).

"Dilithium"

Yeah, that doesn't exist. Deuterium does (Hydrogen with 1p and 1n), as does Tritium (Hydrogen with 1p and 2n).

Unreliable and requires very, very large areas of land to generate enough energy to match a conventional power station.

It would take just about as long to create a fully 100% working Nuclear Fusion Reactor as it would setting up a solar array around the world like in MSG00. In the end at least there would be no negative environmental effects from the energy or plants, just a ton of land used.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Is this just to bash the US?

Realistically Fusion is a long ways away if it is possible. By possible i mean sustanible bc the physics dictact that fusion needs constand source of energy and huge pressures only done on large planets and that isnt event the hard part namely that whole thing with being able to control it...

"Like you know"

ssj12 said:
Soleron said:
kingofwale said:

"Dilithium"

It would take just about as long to create a fully 100% working Nuclear Fusion Reactor as it would setting up a solar array around the world like in MSG00. In the end at least there would be no negative environmental effects from the energy or plants, just a ton of land used.

Haha, I'm loving the push for an energy source that powers gundams :D

I would personally go for hydrogren power because it seems to be the most advanced technology (by advanced i mean, they are on the verge of breaking with fully functioning production and this is a number of car companies).

Soleron said:
kingofwale said:

"Dilithium"

ever heard of humor?

CAL4M1TY said:

I would personally go for hydrogren power because it seems to be the most advanced technology (by advanced i mean, they are on the verge of breaking with fully functioning production and this is a number of car companies).

Hydrogen fuel cells DON'T PRODUCE POWER!

"In the end at least there would be no negative environmental effects from the energy or plants, just a ton of land used." 

There are NO negative environmental effects. The waste is very short-lived and can be contained, while the chemicals used to make solar panels DO damage the environment and consume a lot of energy to make.

"physics dictact that fusion needs constand source of energy and huge pressures only done on large planets and that isnt event the hard part namely that whole thing with being able to control it..."

A fusion plant that contains it and produces net power has already been built. All we need to do is expand the time it continues by itself. All of the hard science is done: they will actually begin consruction in a few weeks.