By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will MGS4 overtake OoT in rankings?

The scores given to games over the past couple years are ridiculous. There have been many good games, but once the game reaches the level of good, the reviews are all over the place and generally what should be considered a B game (this meaning it is a good game) gets higher grades based on how anticipated it was and how big the publisher is. A's and A+'s are handed out all over the place for good games from big names. No smaller developer gets sucked off to that level. If a smaller developer puts out a good game with some quirks, it gets a B or B-. At least Famitsu admits that they give rankings according to what the fans expect (and most likely what the publisher expects). Gaming publications are so dependent on the publishers to get the early gameplay and content exclusives that the industry is one incestuous pile of handjobs with the gaming publications providing most of the hands.

So, taking about small changes in the overall rankings of games versus other games is silly. It's like comparing performance stats on WWE wrestlers.

I give this thread a 9.3.

Thank god for the disable signatures option.

Around the Network
Rock_on_2008 said:

Only Nintendo fans care about OoT hanging onto top place. Sooner or later OoT will fall.

BTW: I had only heard of OoT when I found out about it on VGChartz and the nth threads of it holding top spot, losing top spot. blah blah blah.

About the red:

Plus this, this and this.

Thanks for trying.

No way... maybe pikmin 4? or the new zelda?

We are Wii....Waiting for Pikmin 3! and Pikmin 2 NPC...

Playing:

- Donkey Kong Country Returns

- Minecraft!

-  Venezuela FTW!       

swyggi said:
dnnc said:
umm, no.
Ocarina of Time was a flawless game, with the most important aspect that makes a video game great.
and that is REPLAY VALUE, i'm sure MSG4 is a great game but it'll ended up like all the rest, 1 month playing it, 1 months praising it, 1 more gathering dust, and then at the Gamestop used section

OoT is flawless in the basics of a video game, but lacks a lot in the substance department.  There's no feeling or purpose in the pacing of the game.  You're just kind of there so to speak. 

Replay value is not the most important thing in a game.  It keeps it lasting, but it depends on how rewarding and useful differencials(ways to play the game, sidequests and minigames etc.) in the game are.  

After beating MGS4 I can honestly tell you that this game won't be gathering dust in hardly anyone's collection for a long time.   

replay value is the most important aspect of a game, a game that you play once or twice and then discard is a failure, if a game isn't good enough to bring you back to it again and again, then i guess all it had going for it was good graphics, or in this generation ( achievements ) 

and whatever it is that PSN calls it, this is the reason why gamers nowadays bother to replay their games, to get achievements, not because they actually want to play them, metal gear no matter how good the games are are not revisited the way true good games are. Look at halo 3, great game, but if it wasn't for the online multiplayer, it would have completely faded away by now, check your local used game retailer, and it's garunteed you'll find plenty of halo 3 copies, and 3-4 months after MGS4 is released it will suffer the same fate, But try and find Mario galaxy, or gears of war, or Zelda:TP  

my signature went on strike, it's demanding 3% raise

swyggi said:

After beating MGS4 I can honestly tell you that this game won't be gathering dust in hardly anyone's collection for a long time.   

How long did it take you to beat MGS4?, and after you answer that, tell me if you really do think it won't pick up dust.

and will you still play it once resistance 2 arrives. I still go back to zelda: TP. I put down halo 3 and brought back Gears of War

my signature went on strike, it's demanding 3% raise

Around the Network
dnnc said:
swyggi said:
dnnc said:
umm, no.
Ocarina of Time was a flawless game, with the most important aspect that makes a video game great.
and that is REPLAY VALUE, i'm sure MSG4 is a great game but it'll ended up like all the rest, 1 month playing it, 1 months praising it, 1 more gathering dust, and then at the Gamestop used section

OoT is flawless in the basics of a video game, but lacks a lot in the substance department.  There's no feeling or purpose in the pacing of the game.  You're just kind of there so to speak. 

Replay value is not the most important thing in a game.  It keeps it lasting, but it depends on how rewarding and useful differencials(ways to play the game, sidequests and minigames etc.) in the game are.  

replay value is the most important aspect of a game, a game that you play once or twice and then discard is a failure, if a game isn't good enough to bring you back to it again and again, then i guess all it had going for it was good graphics, or in this generation ( achievements ) 

and whatever it is that PSN calls it, this is the reason why gamers nowadays bother to replay their games, to get achievements, not because they actually want to play them, metal gear no matter how good the games are are not revisited the way true good games are. Look at halo 3, great game, but if it wasn't for the online multiplayer, it would have completely faded away by now, check your local used game retailer, and it's garunteed you'll find plenty of halo 3 copies, and 3-4 months after MGS4 is released it will suffer the same fate, But try and find Mario galaxy, or gears of war, or Zelda:TP  

1. No.  If you play it once and liked it, how is it a failure?  And who said people aren't going to be replaying MGS4 10 times over?  I'm already on a second playthrough.

2.Wrong again.  Gamers for the PS3 don't just play online, and when you say "gamers nowadays only replay their games to get achievements" and that "they don't actually want to play them" is contradicting and doesn't make any sense.  If you're playing it over and over again, you like it.  The single player experience of MGS4 is unbelievably epic, and there is hardly any emphasis on achievement prizes in that game.  There are emblems you are rewarded with after you beat the game and how good you did, but that's it.

3.You've got to be kidding me.  I've seen an ass loads worth of  GeoW and TP used copies.  Not so much SMG, but definitely the latter two.

This will only take a moment of your time. *steals your watch*

no the OoT defense force called eurogamer didn't want MGS4 to surpass it , just kidding

dnnc said:

swyggi said:

How long did it take you to beat MGS4?, and after you answer that, tell me if you really do think it won't pick up dust.

and will you still play it once resistance 2 arrives. I still go back to zelda: TP. I put down halo 3 and brought back Gears of War

1.About 15 hours, and not for at least 2 years will it "pick up dust" in my collection.  2. I'm not really interested in RFom2. GTA4 and LBP are probably my next purchases.

This will only take a moment of your time. *steals your watch*

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/926596.asp

Right now it's not even in the top fifty. Ocarina, Galaxy, and GTA4 have nothing to worry about.

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles fan for life. <3

fazz said:
Rock_on_2008 said:

Only Nintendo fans care about OoT hanging onto top place. Sooner or later OoT will fall.

BTW: I had only heard of OoT when I found out about it on VGChartz and the nth threads of it holding top spot, losing top spot. blah blah blah.

About the red:

Plus this, this and this.

Thanks for trying.

Damn... pwned.