By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Confirmed: Star Ocean: Last Hope 360 exclusive

Pristine20 said:
starcraft said:
Pristine20 said:

I don't know about that one because all the people I know who bought PS3s including myself did so for reason #1:Backwards compatibility. I've finished Parasite Eve 2 21 times and I still play it every now and then. I wouldn't want a system thats unable to play my old library of classics along with a couple nex-gen releases. There you have it.

Thats also why I can't understand why the PS3 80gb won't stay on store shelves. my cousin's been trying to get one but it is sold out again

Also, since you admit that many people bought the PS3 because of JRPGs, you also have to admit that any JRPG release on both PS3 and 360 would sell better on PS3 hands down. Kind of like how any FPS released on both systems would sell better on 360 even if the console userbases were equal.

In my country, there is NO BC option for PS3 purchases and hasn't been for months.

If you look at what I actually said, I said PS3 owners in general thought it would get all the good games. The JRPG comment was seperate. At this stage we have no proof either way about the PS3's ability to sell JRPG's.

All I know is the PS3 can't sell them if developers arn't making them for the system.

Sony had better fix that. In my opimion, BC is the biggest issue slowing PS3 down (not a late MGS4 bundle or price) because many gamers want to retain the ability to play their old games. BC has always propelled the playstation brand name forward and is also the reason many gamers didn't even look anywhere else despite the superior game line up on 360. M$ blundered big time when they said that people don't want to play old games. Why else would Konami be able to release essentials collections without worrying that gamers would have moved on? on a side note, MGS1 is still awesome even by todays standards!

Ummm...did you mean Sony? Sony really screwed up by doing that. PS3 sales in Japan dropped like a rock after the 20/60gb BC PS3's were discontinued.(leaving only the non-BC 40gb) MS still has their incomplete BC on the 360, but most of their popular Xbox 1 games are playable(as long as you have the hd). 

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

Around the Network
starcraft said:
Pristine20 said:

Its great for microsoft? Thats debatable. If you speak through economics, M$ may actually be losing money by acquiring all these JRPG exclusives and timed exclusives. LO is the best JRPG this gen hands down, it even gives some FFs a run for their mone. hell, its made by Sakaguchi himself. yet, it hasn't even sold a million copies yet despite the big budget and advertisin thats sad. M$ is lucky that they have the world's richest shareholder behind them because otherwise, they couldn't afford to keep this up.

It is bad for Sony? In the short term and for the impatient probably. However, insulting Sony for not fighting back is blindness to economics because they have to make profits first before buying exclusives that are not guaranteed to provide any boosts whatsoever. Also, timed exclusives especially in a genre like JRPGs are likely to be superior on their second release. Kind of like how FFX was released late in EU and they complained but ended up getting the vastly superior international version. P3:fes vs P3, etc Looks like the PS3 would be getting these extended version this time perhaps for a cheaper price too.

Over 700,000 people have now purchased Lost Odyssey.  Shipments would be approaching 1 million.  Now make it a well-known franchise from a company like Square Enix thats making its first foray into the next generation and all of a sudden SO4 being profitable in its own right (not including extra console sales Microsoft could get because of it) looks very possible.

Extra console sales? If Halo 3 didn't do it and Gears of War 2 doesn't do it, SO4 won't come close to doing anything so it sounds like a waste of money for a game that would have been multiplat anyway. 

SO4 is not developed by S-E. Those familiar with JRPGs would know that there's a huge difference b/w games just published by S-E and games actually developed by S-E. That said, many people would probably buy the game just from reading S-E on the case (I don't know about new systems though) but the well informed would realize that S-E doesn't hold as much weight as Square did in the PSone days. Back then, I couldn't name any of their games that wasn't a classic. In fact, the only PS1 games I still have are all developed by square.

From your posts though, you sound like you have just been disappointed with sony this time aroud so you switched. However, there are many who are too invested in the PS brand to switch (myself included). I find it difficult to even play with a non-dualshock controller lol.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

ItalianBoyPhil said:
I haven't purchased LO... YET
This is going to be a good game, but hey, you never know it might fail like Haze, my friend says that the PS3 is everything and better than the X360 hands down, yet he hasn't even played the 360. He thought that Battlefield - Bad Company was coming out in december... I hate him...

Haze failed because the game sucked.  There have been bad games that sell well. i.e.Killzone, 50 Cent Bulletproof

Star Ocean 4 will sell well if it gets decent marketing like LO did and it will be a good game.  In fact, it will probably be better than SO3

Pristine20 said:
starcraft said:
Pristine20 said:

Its great for microsoft? Thats debatable. If you speak through economics, M$ may actually be losing money by acquiring all these JRPG exclusives and timed exclusives. LO is the best JRPG this gen hands down, it even gives some FFs a run for their mone. hell, its made by Sakaguchi himself. yet, it hasn't even sold a million copies yet despite the big budget and advertisin thats sad. M$ is lucky that they have the world's richest shareholder behind them because otherwise, they couldn't afford to keep this up.

It is bad for Sony? In the short term and for the impatient probably. However, insulting Sony for not fighting back is blindness to economics because they have to make profits first before buying exclusives that are not guaranteed to provide any boosts whatsoever. Also, timed exclusives especially in a genre like JRPGs are likely to be superior on their second release. Kind of like how FFX was released late in EU and they complained but ended up getting the vastly superior international version. P3:fes vs P3, etc Looks like the PS3 would be getting these extended version this time perhaps for a cheaper price too.

Over 700,000 people have now purchased Lost Odyssey. Shipments would be approaching 1 million. Now make it a well-known franchise from a company like Square Enix thats making its first foray into the next generation and all of a sudden SO4 being profitable in its own right (not including extra console sales Microsoft could get because of it) looks very possible.

Extra console sales? If Halo 3 didn't do it and Gears of War 2 doesn't do it, SO4 won't come close to doing anything so it sounds like a waste of money for a game that would have been multiplat anyway.

SO4 is not developed by S-E. Those familiar with JRPGs would know that there's a huge difference b/w games just published by S-E and games actually developed by S-E. That said, many people would probably buy the game just from reading S-E on the case (I don't know about new systems though) but the well informed would realize that S-E doesn't hold as much weight as Square did in the PSone days. Back then, I couldn't name any of their games that wasn't a classic. In fact, the only PS1 games I still have are all developed by square.

From your posts though, you sound like you have just been disappointed with sony this time aroud so you switched. However, there are many who are too invested in the PS brand to switch (myself included). I find it difficult to even play with a non-dualshock controller lol.

That's because when those games came out.  Shooter fans already had a 360 so I am not seeing your point.

Riachu said:
Pristine20 said:
starcraft said:
eliasg said:
why PS3 fanboys always get mad about 360 exclusive games???
When they bought their system, many of them believed the console would dominate sales and by extension game's libraries like its predecessor did. Now that that hasn't happened, its obviously annoying to have paid so much for a console that, whilst very viable, is far from dominant and is losing many exclusives, particularly in the JRPG genre.

I don't know about that one because all the people I know who bought PS3s including myself did so for reason #1:Backwards compatibility. I've finished Parasite Eve 2 21 times and I still play it every now and then. I wouldn't want a system thats unable to play my old library of classics along with a couple nex-gen releases. There you have it.

Thats also why I can't understand why the PS3 80gb won't stay on store shelves. my cousin's been trying to get one but it is sold out again

Also, since you admit that many people bought the PS3 because of JRPGs, you also have to admit that any JRPG release on both PS3 and 360 would sell better on PS3 hands down. Kind of like how any FPS released on both systems would sell better on 360 even if the console userbases were equal.

You shouldn't sterotype what genre PS3 and 360 owners prefer.  Lost Odyssey sold 700K on the 360.  Haze would have done better if it wasn't for the fact that the game was a huge disappointment.

I know it isn't just as clear cut as I seem to have stated. however, I have never come across anyone who owns a 360 and doesn't play FPS games period and I live in the US where the 360 dominates hands down. Gamestop employees even seem to get mad at me for requesting PS3 versions as was the case when I bought COD4 and Condemned 2. There are definitely many 360 owners who don't care for FPS games but I can bet money that they are in the minority. Xbox live is sucessful for polishing the online multiplayer FPS experience.

Would you agree that LO is better than dead rising? If you do, can you explain how dead rising could achieve 1.5 mil sold while LO can't even reach a mil?

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Around the Network
eliasg said:
why PS3 fanboys always get mad about 360 exclusive games??

Who wants to deal with RRoD just so they can play a couple great JRPGs?  The PS3 has a better exclusive lineup (IMO.. this is always a personal statement), and the 360 is unreliable, in addition to charging for online.  No one wants the exclusives to be split if they are into genres (rather than platforms), like many folks are into JRPGs.  I would prefer that one console gets all the good stuff, and as a triple-owner... I prefer the PS3, honestly.  It just feels better than the others... its a more likable toy in my livingroom, than the overheated junker I am constantly worried about sending back for RRoD repairs.  The Wii would rock too... if only there were any games besides Zelda and SMG that I actually would play on it.

FilaBrasileiro said:
Pristine20 said:
starcraft said:
CrazzyMan said:
Anyway, WHAT the point of THIS thread?

NOBODY except x360 owners and fanboys believe that SO4 will stay exclusive for x360.
SO, AGAIN, WHAT the POINT? =))

With virtually every game this generation that was timed exclusive, the second console saw NO hardware increase and few software sales.

Timed exclusive for the Xbox 360 is great for Microsoft and BAD for Sony.

They don't. 

Whom does "they" refer to?

ItalianBoyPhil said:
I haven't purchased LO... YET
This is going to be a good game, but hey, you never know it might fail like Haze, my friend says that the PS3 is everything and better than the X360 hands down, yet he hasn't even played the 360. He thought that Battlefield - Bad Company was coming out in december... I hate him...

LO is already out. It and Ninja Gaiden 2 are the only games I'd love to try out on 360

smbu2000 said:
Pristine20 said:
starcraft said:
Pristine20 said:

In my country, there is NO BC option for PS3 purchases and hasn't been for months.

If you look at what I actually said, I said PS3 owners in general thought it would get all the good games. The JRPG comment was seperate. At this stage we have no proof either way about the PS3's ability to sell JRPG's.

All I know is the PS3 can't sell them if developers arn't making them for the system.

Sony had better fix that. In my opimion, BC is the biggest issue slowing PS3 down (not a late MGS4 bundle or price) because many gamers want to retain the ability to play their old games. BC has always propelled the playstation brand name forward and is also the reason many gamers didn't even look anywhere else despite the superior game line up on 360. M$ blundered big time when they said that people don't want to play old games. Why else would Konami be able to release essentials collections without worrying that gamers would have moved on? on a side note, MGS1 is still awesome even by todays standards!

Ummm...did you mean Sony? Sony really screwed up by doing that. PS3 sales in Japan dropped like a rock after the 20/60gb BC PS3's were discontinued.(leaving only the non-BC 40gb) MS still has their incomplete BC on the 360, but most of their popular Xbox 1 games are playable(as long as you have the hd). 

Definitely true

NOW You WASTING your time.
WHY? =)

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far