By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Comments on Next Xbox Could Xbox 720 be completely digital?

This is most definitely the way the industry is going. And I think I heard all of these arguments before, let me think about where....Oh yeah, the music industry, and lets look at the transition they are making now. Hopefully Microsoft has learned from their mistakes and can capitalize on the extra knowledge.

Around the Network
Galaki said:
One misconception that people have is that the next Xbox won't be called "Xbox 720".
Xbox 2 is called "Xbox 360". Compared to Xbox 1, which is simply called "Xbox", Xbox 2 is 360 times more than Xbox 1.
Now, it only make sense that Xbox 3 is also 360 times more than Xbox 2.
And that makes "Xbox 129600" for the next Xbox, namely Xbox 3.

? what are you talking about. Either your joking or you havent got a clue.

What do you mean, exactly, by a "digital system" rather than a "traditional expensive piece of hardware"?

Either way, I'm not paying $60 for a game that I can't resell, so if that's the way the industry is going, then count me out, I suppose.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Any system based on digital distribution is either based on a huge investment in next gen broadband by both the cable companies in consumers (a hard sell especially outside the coasts) or huge hard drives that would let you play games PC style with large installs (think 1TB+ to really hold enough). Either seems like a pretty bad idea given that a lot of games like MGS4 push 50GB and with more graphics and textures that will only get higher. I am almost positive 100+ GB 4-6 layer blu rays are the wave of the video game future unless there's some amazing unforeseen revolution in US broadband or Hard Drive technology. Hard drives seem to be headed towards speed (solid state) rather then capacity since 1TB is enough for almost all other applications.

PSN ID: ChosenOne feel free to add me

Good luck to them! They'll really need it when the piracy goes full bloom

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Around the Network
SnowWhitesDrug said:
hahahahaha @ galaki

OT: im fully against complete digital distripution. Im all for it for live arcade and wii ware and for demos and stuff but nothing beats a killer game case display stacked up next to your console. full digital distribution would take away the trophies (game cases)

I feel this way too. If I buy old games off ebay or whatever, I try to buy the box wth it, unless it doubles th games price or something.

Hawkeye said:
SnowWhitesDrug said:
hahahahaha @ galaki

OT: im fully against complete digital distripution. Im all for it for live arcade and wii ware and for demos and stuff but nothing beats a killer game case display stacked up next to your console. full digital distribution would take away the trophies (game cases)

I feel this way too. If I buy old games off ebay or whatever, I try to buy the box wth it, unless it doubles th games price or something.

On top of that - and I've brought up this point before in digital distribution discussion threads - the secondary market acts as a check against publishers. Being able to buy and sell used games ensures that prices drop faster, that consumers have a "safety net" for when they buy bad games, and that publishers take a hit for releasign subpar games. Absent that, publishers can set whatever price they want without having to worry about competing against the secondary market, early-adopter gamers are stuck with $60 piles of crap when a game turns out to be bad, and budget-minded gamers no longer have the option to purchase used.  That's not a big deal for $10 games, but for full-priced games, you bet it is.

In other words, in a full digital distribution scenario, everyone loses but the publishers.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Gazz said:
I always believed that MS will drop their Xbox project. This some way conforms that theory by stating they will release all games digitally. Games for Windows evolved. If and how they release the new Xbox however really isn't that much of a concern to me as a stockholder. The firm uprising of Mac and Linux and the failure of many live services (pc that is, before I get jumped by twelve year olds who don follow other tech news) makes me worry about the total financial picture more then a few billion more in losses in hardware. Losses in revenue for Windows is all the more concerning.

this guy honestly thinks MS will give up their next xbox project...

your opinion is destroyed by your bias, you know.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

The problem with a completely digital kind of console would be that many X's more people just play by themselves or w/ a friend/relative/etc than do the online console-gaming thing. If MS ever tries to do this, they would be laughed out of the gaming business as the PS3 almsot was

Wasn't some junk of a console called the Phantom supposed to do that?