By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Blue Ocean.... then What?

You cannot possibly wait too long to release upmarket games. The upmarket is the least fickle and most reliable market there is, which is why most companies focus exclusively on pandering to it. Nintendo is currently giving the least focus to the market which is most receptive to the idea of video game consoles, because they know that once they do shift their focus to accommodate that market demographic, they'll nab them easily. Whereas nabbing and maintaining downmarket customers requires some serious dedication, as downmarket consumers are much quicker to quit using a product once it stops serving their needs.

That last qualifier should set off alarm bells in the heads of anybody who derides the likes of Nintendogs, Brain Age, Wii Sports, and Wii Fit, incidentally...

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Around the Network

I'll make an assumptions on what the Wii disruption will do in video games:

-Sports games will be dumbed down and make it became casual fare rather than a competitve game, if you see Malstrom's upstream chart, sports games was the lowest dominator.

-FPS will became a social and single player experience rather than a competitive core experience and with ease of use in wiimote why not? CS was supposed to be a mod for casual audience who just wants to shoot anybody which arent in their team. Now it became a competitve game and FPS have became more niche and niche, yeah, most online gamers are playing FPS but with too many FPS out there, COD 4 and Halo was lucky to even compete with Counter Strike. Counter strike was and still is the FPS choice for gamers because it can be casual and competitive game.

-RPGs will rely more on gameplay and exploring rather than reading too much texts and FMV driven, the text and FMV driven rpgs are the norm since Final Fantasy VII but it will change soon and Legend of Zelda will make that example.

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

yushire said:

-Sports games will be dumbed down and make it became casual fare rather than a competitve game, if you see Malstrom's upstream chart, sports games was the lowest dominator.

-FPS will became a social and single player experience rather than a competitive core experience and with ease of use in wiimote why not? CS was supposed to be a mod for casual audience who just wants to shoot anybody which arent in their team. Now it became a competitve game and FPS have became more niche and niche, yeah, most online gamers are playing FPS but with too many FPS out there, COD 4 and Halo was lucky to even compete with Counter Strike. Counter strike was and still is the FPS choice for gamers because it can be casual and competitive game.

-RPGs will rely more on gameplay and exploring rather than reading too much texts and FMV driven, the text and FMV driven rpgs are the norm since Final Fantasy VII but it will change soon and Legend of Zelda will make that example.

If what you're saying is true, then thank god there are two other consoles pandering to my needs as I don't need my sports games dumbed down, and my RPGs leaving behind the story to become more Zelda-like, especially since RPGs don't need to get tips from action/adventures anymore than racers need to get tips from RPGs.

Also how is an FPS going to become a social and single player experience? Are you talking co-op, because it's been done before.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

yushire said:

What the frick are you talking about?   Sports game saren't being dumbed down.  Look at Madden 09.  It includes a simpler, or dumbed down, option but still includes the more complex advanced controls as well. 

Expansion isn't about replacement but inclusion.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

People say dumbed down when really the developers are trying to make games more acessible to everyone to play. However, once it is easier hardcore people think it is too easy and dumbed down the real hard thing is to get the right balance.

"Like you know"

Around the Network

When you go to the movies and chill at the reccesion lounge area waiting for the movie, there is usually an arcade near by, you could play games like Cruisin USA which used a pedal and a wheel to play the game, the enticment of the game wasn't the game itself but the idea of doing what you wanted in a car.

Now your confused because your thinking, "You drive a car in the game!" I'm saying no! You play the game, you don't drive anything as far as the game goes, the interface is what dictates if your driving or not.

In arcade fashion you have your chair, your peddals and your steering wheel also a gear shift, everything a car has. I'd see lines and lines of people waiting to play these games, the idea of controlling a car with no harm done for messing up is what got people into that arcade game.

I hope your intelligent enough to put the rest together and how that aplies to MKWii.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

dib8rman said:
When you go to the movies and chill at the reccesion lounge area waiting for the movie, there is usually an arcade near by, you could play games like Cruisin USA which used a pedal and a wheel to play the game, the enticment of the game wasn't the game itself but the idea of doing what you wanted in a car.

Now your confused because your thinking, "You drive a car in the game!" I'm saying no! You play the game, you don't drive anything as far as the game goes, the interface is what dictates if your driving or not.

In arcade fashion you have your chair, your peddals and your steering wheel also a gear shift, everything a car has. I'd see lines and lines of people waiting to play these games, the idea of controlling a car with no harm done for messing up is what got people into that arcade game.

I hope your intelligent enough to put the rest together and how that aplies to MKWii.
Shouldn't that also apply to the $400 black beast of a console, it's $40 racing sim, a $299 Logitech Racing wheel, and $299 for the Playseat game chair? For $1040 you can have your choice between that or the Cruisn USA machine itself.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.