By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - IGN gives MGS4 10/10

Slimebeast said:
IGN and Gamespot's review scores are bullshit. Only fanboys put merit into getting a 10 from those sites.

Eurogamer, Gametrailers and Gamespy are a lot better. Fair and trustworthy.

I enjoy the Gametrailers reviews (I've watched almost every single one over the past 2 years) but they can be very inconsistant.

Halo 3's story scoring higher than Zelda or MGS for example, or Uncharted: Drakes Fortune quoted as "only having one melee attack" (despite the fact that in the demo alone you could do at least three).

I also often find that on GT the general mood/tone of the reviewer often doesn't match the final score given.

Around the Network

Well this is the one saving hardcore game for the PS3 for a while now so im glad that it is reportably good for me ill be playing it on the weekend. By then ill know whether the praise is deserved or not.

"Like you know"

ZenfoldorVGI said:
jerseyboy609 said:
MGS4 deserves the score it got...that game is one the G.O.A.Ts...but GTA4 was like a 9.8

I don't think it's as good as MGS1, due to its comparitive lack of innovation, derivitive nature, and yes, worse storyline.

I think MGS1 is one of the G.O.A.T.s myself. MGS4 is just really great.

Dude whats going on?

I...umm...agree with your posts lately.

disolitude said:
Yeah...this sounds like a review from someone who is a huge MGS fanboy at IGN. No offence at MGS4 but I've played 4 hours of it now and while its really great, its not a 10. Its a very glossy, well produced and well written 9.1 :)

Story, Visuals, Audio are all 10's...but gameplay is king...and there are still issues galore with controls and camera.

Also, I am worried that sneaking around is no longer the key aspect to this series... as I'm plowing through everything with machine guns. And if the combat is the main gameplay component...I must say that thus far, it is a second rate Gears/Resident Evil 4 hybrid that doesn't work nearly as well as either.

So I'd give gameplay 8 thus far...

That's the beauty of the game. As mentioned in the GT review "there are many ways to play it [MGS4]".

You can sneak by opponents completely, fight a few then hide and wait for them the forget about you, or simple blaze your way through with a machine gun.

I havent found the controls or camera an issue at all. I actually found the controls for GTA entailed a bigger learning curve then MGS4.

I'm about 5 hours in so far, and loving it.

9.7/10 from me.

it's teh bias cuz they did dun review by a PS3 person

Around the Network
Dallinor said:
disolitude said:
Yeah...this sounds like a review from someone who is a huge MGS fanboy at IGN. No offence at MGS4 but I've played 4 hours of it now and while its really great, its not a 10. Its a very glossy, well produced and well written 9.1 :)

Story, Visuals, Audio are all 10's...but gameplay is king...and there are still issues galore with controls and camera.

Also, I am worried that sneaking around is no longer the key aspect to this series... as I'm plowing through everything with machine guns. And if the combat is the main gameplay component...I must say that thus far, it is a second rate Gears/Resident Evil 4 hybrid that doesn't work nearly as well as either.

That's the beauty of the game. As mentioned in the GT review "there are many ways to play it [MGS4]".

You can sneak by opponents completely, fight a few then hide and wait for them the forget about you, or simple blaze your way through with a machine gun.

I havent found the controls or camera an issue at all. I actually found the controls for GTA entailed a bigger learning curve then MGS4.

9.7/10 from me.

Why would you hide if you don't have to? It started off good...lmited ammo and giant robots you cant kill. But then you get so much ammo and that eye thing...it became a slaughter fest after that.

Also, there is nothing wrong with controls but they are clunky for aiming especially until you get the sniper. and camera goes close-far-close far sometimes...especially when you've been spotted and want to see where the dudes are that spotted you.

All in all seems like they upped the visuals and sound by quite a lot but kept the story telling and action the same.

Also, running around in the warzone seems cool at first with shit exploding left and right and bullets flying all over...but the moment i realized those cant hit me and are jsut background FX, i wanted them to stop. That just distracts me from the real action...

Hope no one thinks im dogging this game...i love it...but its not a 10.

It used to be "Wait for IGN review".

Now it's "IGN reviews can't be trusted."

New excuse everyday... I love it!!!

Best part is the ones hating on this game in this thread are ones who haven't even played it, lol. Essentially making their opinions on the game moot.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

as usual many people here talking shit without having played the game or at least 50% of it.

disolitude said:
Dallinor said:
disolitude said:

9.7/10 from me.

Why would you hide if you don't have to? It started off good...lmited ammo and giant robots you cant kill. But then you get so much ammo and that eye thing...it became a slaughter fest after that.

Also, there is nothing wrong with controls but they are clunky for aiming especially until you get the sniper. and camera goes close-far-close far sometimes...especially when you've been spotted and want to see where the dudes are that spotted you.

All in all seems like they upped the visuals and sound by quite a lot but kept the story telling and action the same.

Also, running around in the warzone seems cool at first with shit exploding left and right and bullets flying all over...but the moment i realized those cant hit me and are jsut background FX, i wanted them to stop. That just distracts me from the real action...

Hope no one thinks im dogging this game...i love it...but its not a 10.

Why would he hide?

That is the beauty of it. You can. You have the choice.

I also can't believe you just tried to compare it to Gears of War...not just that, but Gears has laggy as all hell Online play and the single player campaign is 8 hours at best compared to 20+. Second rate? Yeah Gears was good, but I guess to each his own.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

This is the game that really deserved a 10.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."