By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Can you tell me the pros and cons of PSP?

Now I'm thinking about PSP now that I spent my PS3 money on set of golf clubs.

http://kotaku.com/tag/ikkitousen/

This game interests me.  jk

I'd appreciate your input.  I don't see many people playing PSP these days, but I remember being very impressed by it.

thanks 

Around the Network

Guess nobody here are excited for PSP.
conclusion: don't buy it!?!

Pros:

Great games.
Best graphics of any handheld.
Online.
Music, Video.
Take pictures or use as a phone.
Cheap
Etc....

Cons:

Waiting for the next MGS game. :(

MGS4!

There aren't really many disadvantages of buying a PSP considering there is no real alternative to it unless you want to buy a Phone , MP3/MP4 , Web browser , Pocket PC all individualy.

Do you commute by bus/train? Then yes, a PSP might be good for you. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother. I don't have any time for my PSP. When I'm at home, I'd rather play games on my TV. When I'm commuting, I'd rather concentrate on the cars in front and around me, than on my PSP. If you are still in school/college, it might be a good fit. Play between classes/during breaks. I thought my PSP would get a ton of use. But I've only played it maybe 10 hours in the 1.5 years I've had it. I would sell it, but I keep trying to convince myself that I have a use for it. I just haven't found that use yet.

Around the Network

Isn't the battery weak?

Pros
Graphics
Multimedia Device
Some good homebrew apps
Large Screen
Alot of good games

Cons
Not as much 3rd party support as the ds is getting
Battery Life
Size
Price compared to other handhelds

Overall it is good for multimedia more than games, but games are good too.

Pro- lots of great and cheap games out right now (about 45 or so)
Pro- works great as a movie player
Pro- you can mod it and play old games (up to PSX, but N64 and saturn don't work to well)
Pro- works well as an MP3 player/podcast and you don't need headphones
Con- not all that many great games are going to come out in the future ( I would guess that about 25 more really good games will come out throughout the rest of PSPs life)
con- battery life is 5 hours
con- old games have long loading times (5-20 seconds). Newer games have loading times that last a few seconds.

The only con I would add is games/movies on the UMD disc consume the battery much faster. I like to view movies from the memory stick but you do run into some formatting issues.

I like the remote play features with the PS3. I really used this for Pixel Junk Monsters. The screen size and graphics are definately the best on the market.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Yeah, I have been really impressed with the PSP, a lot more impressed than I thought I would be. Memory Sticks are still kind of expensive, but if you buy one of the bundles you get a 1 gig one for essentially $10. I paid $70 for an 8 gig, but you can find a 4 gig for around $30+.  If you are really feeling saucy they just came out with 16 Gig ones, but those are over $200.  Upside is that I can plug my memory stick into my Laptop, which is a little bit easier than syncing up the PSP with the PC, which is by no means hard once you have done it for the first time.

The graphics on the thing have really impressed me. The screen is absolutely beautiful, and playing it is just so, dare I say, fun. I have found several games that have just blown me away, and there is a large list of games, both western and eastern, which are top notch. The ones I own include Patapon, Crisis Core, Killzone: Liberation, Loco Roco, Jeanne D'ArC, Silent Hill: Origins, and Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles. Jeanne D'Arc has been my favorite so far.

It is also a PHENOMENAL media device. It is great as an MP3 player, and in my opinion a better option than many IPods because it has flash memory and is a dedicated game player, so you get the best of both worlds since the HDD won't crash like a 30 Gig Ipod or Zune.

If you ever do buy a PS3, syncing up with the PS3 is one of its absolute coolest features. Some of the stuff you can do is just insane, like watch or listen to anything you have stored on your PS3 HDD from any Wifi access point. Damn!

At launch or about a year or two ago I would have given the console a 7/10 or an 8/10, but at this point in time given the game library, the decent cost of the console and memory sticks, as well as the features that have been added through firmware I can give it an unbiased 9/10.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson