By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which Final Fantasy is the best?

IX

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Around the Network

Currently I'd say.

1.6 (Even IGN agrees, this one had it all... it's only negative was the Esper system which somewhat robbed chars their originality.)
2.4 (Second best story in the series.)
3.Tactics (I love tactics games.  The story was a horrible Tactics Ogre copy... but so was just about everything else, and a horrible Tactics Ogre copy is still a great game if you like SRPGs.)
4.5  (The Job system rules... the story is bad... but at least it's not as intrusive and time wasting as later games)
6.3 (The job system is ok.  It's not what it is in 5 since you don't get any cross class benefits.)
7.1 (The original.. still fun.)
8.12 (Really fun gameplay... but a story that is not only bad, but wastes your time... a lot.  If there had been no story think probably would of been at the 4 spot.)
9. Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest  (It's extremly easy, has a chilidish story... it's still better then the rest... i mean at least it had no Random Encounters.  For what it is, it's fine.)
10.7 (This doesn't need explaining for half the people, and for the other half... they ain't going to see all the flaws even staring them in their face...)
11.2 (Best story of the NES ones... but the level up system was just so poorly executed... and it took the dragon warrior approach to monster placement but didn't even give you a bridge to warn you when you've moved from "Level 1 starter badguys" to "will kill your party in 1 hit" guys.

Unrated 10,9 & 8. I have disfavorable memories of playing 10 and 8 but how much i dislike them i don't remember... so it could be anywhere between 7 and 11.

I don't remeber anything about 9 except the kickass card game.

Words Of Wisdom said:

I replayed the original Final Fantasy not too long ago and had obscene amounts of fun with it... though I have no idea why. It should have bored me to tears.

Anywho, it's a toss up between 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9. I liked each for different reasons.

Yeah... i have too.  I like the old NES RPGs.  The top down ones anyway.  The ones who tried to be 3-D are PURE HELL.  That is one genre where you need a base level of graphics... it's hard to get around in a town that's nothing but a maze of blue walls.

masterb8tr said:
in order(those i've played)

ff9(best music of them all. graphics and gameplay were the best on ps1 and it had a very good story)

ff7(best story, good gameplay and good graphics at that time)

ffx(nice music, story and gameplay, voice acting(dubbed) was truly horrificly bad

ff12(nice music, gamplay and story, but i didnt fancy the characters)

ff8( nice music and story ,but it had some bugs and gamplay wise it was just to easy, all you had to do was to summon the gods all the time.

but i got to say i think ff13 or ff13versus might be able to knock 9 of the throne. ff versus especially due to the fact that the main character is neither, gay, emo or goofy(according to nomura) nomura even said many people wont like him and that makes me like him, i love to play "evil" characters.

FF7 did not have good graphics for the time.  It would of looked better with the SNES level sprites.  Heck it looks better with NES level sprites.

FF went to 3-D one game too early. 

VII is easily great in many ways, don't be jealous or mad on it's succes, and come with ridiculous arguments for it's succes like 3D, cause Zelda Oot, and Metal Gear and Metroid and others also went 3D, so should we say OoT is so popular cause it was 3D and for many their first Zelda? Grow up, VII is so popular cause it's so good.

''Hadouken!''

Around the Network

Sorry, that chinese FFVII nes remake looks fugly. FFVII had good graphics for its time, I compared it back then to other games and it looked gorgeous, especially in battles.

the pre-rendered backgrounds of the PSX FF's all still look great actually, real clear and detailed

''Hadouken!''

The top five for me is:

1: FF6

2: FF9

3: FF7

4: FF8

5: FF10

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

memory2zack said:
Sorry, that chinese FFVII nes remake looks fugly. FFVII had good graphics for its time, I compared it back then to other games and it looked gorgeous, especially in battles.

So did I. I owned the game at launch... it's the game I bought the system for basically.

It looked horrible... as did most PS1/N64 games. There wasn't much worthy of SNES level until near the end of the generation.

I played it on PC on 1998 and compared it to other games back then and found that it had good graphics.