By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How much will the PS3 outsell the Xbox 360 by next week?

Sullla: Those members arent even on this site anymore.....

Around the Network
Yojimbo said:
Sullla: Those members arent even on this site anymore.....

The point being...? Look, as I said, I'm not calling out MikeB or John_Doe. It's entirely possible that they didn't believe the 2007 Sony lineup would boost sales. But there was a VERY significant number of others who DID expect these games to boost sales. Go back and look at this forum in early to mid 2007. (Everything is archived, if you're willing to go back far enough.) Our sales forum was awash in Sony fans claiming that as soon as ____ game came out, the Wii fad would be over and PS3 sales would explode.

I respect the opinions of others. What I don't respect is revisionist history, that tries to whitewash the past and pretend "no one claimed those games would boost sales." Because that's bullshit.

Thanks for backing me up, rocketpig. You were around a year ago, you know what I'm talking about.

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

fastyxx said:
starcraft said:

So far the only three platformers of this gen have released to awesome, disappointing, decent and mediocre sales respectively for SMG, R&C, Viva Pinata and Kameo. It shouldbe noted that R & C received some EU bundling, and Viva Pinata received a substantial amount of bundling worldwide.

Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts may be the final chance to see if non-Mario/Nintendo platformers can do well on home consoles without being bundled.

Are you calling Viva Pinata a platformer? It's hard to sound authoritative on topics you clearly know nothing about.

How would you describe the game?

I've played it, and I struggle to categorise it. 

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Guys:

My question is: how much do you think MGS4 will reach in Japan, and what boost will it give to the ps3?

@ Sullla

Look, as I said, I'm not calling out MikeB or John_Doe. It's entirely possible that they didn't believe the 2007 Sony lineup would boost sales.

But it did boost sales, just not competition crushing sales. Sony sold more PS3s in 2007 than Microsoft sold 360s. The PS3 won worldwide christmas sales compared to the 360, despite Halo 3 was released a week before the last quarter.

I know many 360 fans who predicted 360 sales would crush PS3 sales over christmas due to the release of Halo 3. Certainly that wasn't the case.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network
MikeB said:
@ Sullla

Look, as I said, I'm not calling out MikeB or John_Doe. It's entirely possible that they didn't believe the 2007 Sony lineup would boost sales.

But it did boost sales, just not competition crushing sales. Sony sold more PS3s in 2007 than Microsoft sold 360s. The PS3 won worldwide christmas sales compared to the 360, despite Halo 3 was released a week before the last quarter.

I know many 360 fans who predicted 360 sales would crush PS3 sales over christmas due to the release of Halo 3. Certainly that wasn't the case.
That bolded comment is very misleading.  Microsoft sold more Xbox 360's to consumers at retail last year than Sony did PS3's.  Sony had a marginally higher shipment rate because Microsoft stuffed the supply chain in late 2006 and didn't have to refill shipments till a third of the way through the year in any major way.

@ starcraft

That bolded comment is very misleading. Microsoft sold more Xbox 360's to consumers at retail last year than Sony did PS3's. Sony had a marginally higher shipment rate because Microsoft stuffed the supply chain in late 2006 and didn't have to refill shipments till a third of the way through the year in any major way.

Actually that's the most objective observation, Sony sold more than 1 and a half million PS3s more than Microsoft sold 360s. As you know worldwide retailer sales are hard to track, so it's hard to come to any worldwide conclusions.

Taking into account that figure, you cannot come to the conclusion the 360 sold more at retail worldwide than the PS3. However you probably agree the 360 did not crush the PS3 in sales with the release of Halo 3 like many fanboys predicted.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:
@ starcraft

That bolded comment is very misleading. Microsoft sold more Xbox 360's to consumers at retail last year than Sony did PS3's. Sony had a marginally higher shipment rate because Microsoft stuffed the supply chain in late 2006 and didn't have to refill shipments till a third of the way through the year in any major way.

Actually that's the most objective observation, Sony sold more than 1 and a half million PS3s more than Microsoft sold 360s. As you know worldwide retailer sales are hard to track, so it's hard to come to any worldwide conclusions.

Taking into account that figure, you cannot come to the conclusion the 360 sold more at retail worldwide than the PS3. However you probably agree the 360 did not crush the PS3 in sales with the release of Halo 3 like many fanboys predicted.

According to VGC there were more Xbox 360's sold then PS3's, and particularly towards the end of last year VGC's numbers proved more accurate than NPD's when compared to shipment numbers.

But I agree it was all fairly close. As for Halo 3, there is no single game that can make a console dominated (save perhaps GTA, an effected that was mooted when it went multiplatform). But then, even for those that thought Halo 3 would be that game, they must have realized otherwise when the console sales boost was over by late October last year.

Its the same story with MGS4. Right now its hailed as the PS3's big NA booster. The reality is, a month after its launch, hardware sales will be back to normal. It could actually work against Sony in a competitive sense. If Sony trounces MS in July NPD's, Microsoft might cut the 360's price earlier than they realistically need to when Sony is clearly in no state to offer a competing drop.

In fact, MGS4 hasn't even seen the lead-up sales increase Halo 3 saw, but that could be partly due to the re-introduction of the 80GB.

1. 100-120k
2. I think by this point the ps3 will be back to beating the 360 by ~50k a month like it was before. I'm not sure why sales dipped so low this past month (especially after GTA), but I can only assume that it was from people waiting for either MGS4 or the return of the 80gb.
3. Hell no.

@ starcraft

Sony had a marginally higher shipment rate because Microsoft stuffed the supply chain in late 2006 and didn't have to refill shipments till a third of the way through the year in any major way.

Apart from Sony selling 1 and a half million more PS3s than Microsoft sold 360s last year, Sony also sold 1 million more units for the first quarter of 2008 (excellent for a relatively slow period of the year), maybe Microsoft stuffed the chain during holiday season 2007 as well.

PS3 vs 360 sales