By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How much will the PS3 outsell the Xbox 360 by next week?

MikeB said:
@ starcraft

Sony had a marginally higher shipment rate because Microsoft stuffed the supply chain in late 2006 and didn't have to refill shipments till a third of the way through the year in any major way.

Apart from Sony selling 1 and a half million more PS3s than Microsoft sold 360s last year, Sony also sold 1 million more units for the first quarter of 2008 (excellent for a relatively slow period of the year), maybe Microsoft stuffed the chain during holiday season 2007 as well.

Now you're just ignoring history. It's well documented that MS stuffed the channel in 2006 to hit that magical 10m number. They shipped virtually no 360s in the first half of 2007.

Yet again, you're twisting numbers and facts to suit your purposes, Mike. The 360 outsold the PS3 in 2007, end of story. They were pretty close but not close enough to confuse the issue. 360 sales were higher right until the end of the year.

Now the PS3 is poised to outsell the 360 in 2008.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network

- How much will the PS3 outsell the Xbox 360 by WW next week?

Normal. It wont crush the 360 as everyone hopes as this will not be a system seller or the savior everyone wants

- How much will the PS3 outsell the Xbox 360 by one month from next week? (Edit:  I mean for that one week)

Again, same

- Will the PS3 sell more than the Wii next month?

Definatly a no. The Wii is sitting on Mario Karty and Wii Fit, games that are really pushing systems, not to mention the Wii steller momentum. MGS4 will not help the PS3 to compete with the Wii 

@ RocketPig

FYI, back when the 10 million announcement was made I stated I believed Microsoft overstocked retailers. I also think that happened for when they announced 19 million sales to retailers.

I am just stating facts regarding 2007 and first quarter 2008 sales, like them or not. And still Sony sold well more PS3s than Microsoft sold 360s for last holiday season, despite the release of Halo 3 one week before the last quarter of 2007 began.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:

@ RocketPig

FYI, back when the 10 million announcement was made I stated I believed Microsoft overstocked retailers. I also think that happened for when they announced 19 million sales to retailers.

I am just stating facts, like them or not. And still Sony sold well more PS3s than Microsoft sold 360s for last holiday season, despite the release of Halo 3 one week before the the last quarter of 2007 began.

I'm not arguing your shipment numbers.

What I'm arguing is the fact that shipment numbers are virtually useless. They don't account for channel-stuffing, shortages, etc. There are a load of other factors that you leave out of the argument to make your point look better.

As usual, you're bringing up numbers that make the PS3 look good while conveniently failing to mention how the 360 shipped very few units in the first half of 2007 to make up for channel stuffing in 2006, which you even admit.

This is the same thing as the 1080p argument. You throw out a number without any explanation behind it and often leave out details. Your arguments misleading and disingenuous.

I will LOL at doubters, if alone in Japan PS3 will outsell x360 by 120-150k. =))

Anyway, next week it will be interesting to reread posts in this thread. =))

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Around the Network

100k-first week
40k-next month
Won't outsell the wii
Job done

Hi, i'm solojohlo and i'm pretty fucking awesome

CrazzyMan said:
I will LOL at doubters, if alone in Japan PS3 will outsell x360 by 120-150k. =))

Anyway, next week it will be interesting to reread posts in this thread. =))

Yes, it will be very interesting to come back and read your posts, Crazzy.

120k in Japan? Don't you think you're setting your sights a little low for this one? 

MikeB said:

Like I said before once MGS4 hits I don't see much chance of the 360 outselling the PS3 worldwide again. However the 360 still has millions XBox fans in North America and Europe who still haven't upgraded towards the 360, this despite nearly all popular XBox games already received sequels (only Fable 2 and the multi-platform game Starwars remaining, coming out this year and there's GeOW 2, so this year should still be fine overall).

- I think about 250 first week sales for Japan, over 1 million lifetime sales.
- For the North America, about 500K first week sales, but this depends greatly upon the amount of available bundles, lifetime sales over 1.5 million lifetime sales.
- For Europe I expect about 550K first week sales. lifetime sales over 2 million.

Worldwide PS3 hardware sales for the first week will IMO greatly depend on bundle availability. I expect hardware sales to be of about double that of 360 hardware sales.

@ starcraft

Seems I have been a bit too conservative with regard to Europe and especially Japan where 1 day sales have been much better than my first week estimate. I now think worldwide PS3 hardware sales will probably be closer to triple that of 360 hardware sales.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

@ RocketPig

What I'm arguing is the fact that shipment numbers are virtually useless. They don't account for channel-stuffing, shortages, etc. There are a load of other factors that you leave out of the argument to make your point look better.

There are limits as to how many consoles will be left in stock at retailers worldwide and it's not like the PS3 was sold out everywhere worldwide for any period. Company sales to retailers are the most objective measurement, if the PS3 signifincatly outsells the 360 this year as well you cannot repeatably claim they were still selling the overstock from last year. It nearly makes no difference, if retailers are almost out of stock they order new units. So sales to retailers should be roughly on par with the ratio of sales to consumers.

But I agree for last year and especially this year for most shops around here the 360 seems and seemed relatively overstocked.

PS3 vs 360 sales

Bump now that numbers are coming in.