By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - TOV or TOS; Which do you think will be better reviewed?

sc94597 said:
Andrex said:
They'll both probably be average, however the difference is that Tales of Symphonia will fill the "good" RPG void in the Wii's library nicely, while Vesperia has to compete with much much better RPGs.

So I say Symphonia.

I wouldn't calle the 85.7 average that the first ToS had on the GC average.

Below 90 is crap.

Didn't you get the memo? 

Prediction:
Disney will make KH3 with Nintendo.Yes,KH3 will be a Disney/Nintendo crossover.

Save the industry,Kill a Hardcore gamer

Stopped buying Ubisoft games.Will not buy Red Steel 2.Let them struggle on HD. Click here for a solution:CLICK
ALERT: I have also exposed a UBI'Z'OFT viral marketer in THIS thread.Read my posts, see the set up and watch how everything crumbles on page 8. Please learn from this experience.

Around the Network

ToS might be the most popular title in the West, but not in Japan. ToS is also the ONLY console Tales to be released in Europe, all the rest are ports/remakes of older Tales on handhelds or spin-offs like TotW. ToS is also not the best-selling Tales of title.

Tales of Eternia was named Tales of Destiny II in the U.S. Mattel owns the copyright "Eternia" in the U.S. that´s why they changed the name. Not to be confused with the true sequel Tales of Destiny II.

Words Of Wisdom said:
vdoesntforgive said:
Words Of Wisdom said:

Tales of Vesperia.

Tales of Symphonia 2 will be weighed down by "sequelitis" plus the fact that it's building off of a mediocre game to start with.

You do know that ToS is the most successful title in thw franchise, right?

Offer an entire country of starving people canned spam and see if that doesn't become the most popular food around.

Tales of Symphonia is highly overrated because it didn't have much competition on the Gamecube. You had what... a dreamcast port of SoA, Baten Kaitos which didn't even use a regular RPG battle system, FF:CC (I shouldn't need to comment on this if you've played it), a Megaman RPG, and a couple others. Gamecube owners were STARVING for RPGs. Tales of Symphonia filled that void on the Gamecube, but put it in the PS2 lineup of dozens of RPGs and watch it get slaughtered.

Star Ocean 3 was on the PS2 and that game managed to get decent reviews

Kasz216 said:
Words Of Wisdom said:

Offer an entire country of starving people canned spam and see if that doesn't become the most popular food around.

Tales of Symphonia is highly overrated because it didn't have much competition on the Gamecube. You had what... a dreamcast port of SoA, Baten Kaitos which didn't even use a regular RPG battle system, FF:CC (I shouldn't need to comment on this if you've played it), a Megaman RPG, and a couple others. Gamecube owners were STARVING for RPGs. Tales of Symphonia filled that void on the Gamecube, but put it in the PS2 lineup of dozens of RPGs and watch it get slaughtered.

Isn't that the same case here? 360 has tons of RPGs... this will be the Wii's first big one.

At least read the whole thread:

Words Of Wisdom said:

Actually you're confused as those were separate points.

One is that Tales of Symphonia was mediocre yet able to shine based in the lack of competition on the Gamecube which is actually looking to be the same situation with the Wii. That may or may not be a factor because the Wii has a pitiful lineup of RPGs (even worse than the Gamecube...).

The other point is sequels are generally treated more harshly than the original. Either they deviate too much making people who enjoyed the original game unhappy or they don't deviate enough leaving people feeling like they're essentially playing the same. It's a hard place to be in.

Kasz216 said:
disolitude said:
whatever said:
disolitude said:
lol...you guys crack me up.

Reviewers hating the wii...
Microsoft buying reviews...

Come on, atleast try to make relevant posts. Look at videos of the both games, compare features...etc

You honestly think this doesn't happen? Now that cracks me up.

No, what cracks me up is someone who has "Boycott Ubisoft" in his signature saying that reviewers hate the wii...while at the same time complaining that a Ubisoft isn't releasing any good games for the Wii.

there are like 10 threads live right now on this site that say "Boycott Company A because they are not making good Wii games" or "Company B announces good wii games are coming"

So which one is it? Reviewers hating the wii and giving bad scores or companies making bad games for the Wii?

As far as microsoft buying reviews...they don't do that, otherwise Ninja Gaiden 2 would have been a 9.5 as it should have been.

Both?

It's not like the two are mutually exclusive.  For example.  Trauma Center New Blood is a high quality game that was rated below where it should be... yet ubisoft is still producing horrible games.   

Best you could argue with your point is "Why try your hardest when the reviwers aren't going to give you a fair shake anyway."   

Its kinda pushing it when it comes to scape goats don't you think... Whats next? Game was made on a Friday?

Around the Network

Well I would think ToS would get better reviews considering its an RPG on the Wii and the hardcore reviewers, being as bias as they are, will review any hardcore game better just because of it. Not to mention the first one was well received and this is supposed to be very similar so I would think that. ToV on 360 should get good reviews if its made well but I really don't know right now. I'm thinking ToS 2 but we'll see.

TOV cause of the graphics

I personally think that ToS:DotNW will get better reviews. The original one was the most highly regarded one in the series. I'm sure ToV will also get good reviews though. I don't plan on getting either though

disolitude said:
Kasz216 said:
disolitude said:
whatever said:
disolitude said:
lol...you guys crack me up.

Reviewers hating the wii...
Microsoft buying reviews...

Come on, atleast try to make relevant posts. Look at videos of the both games, compare features...etc

You honestly think this doesn't happen? Now that cracks me up.

No, what cracks me up is someone who has "Boycott Ubisoft" in his signature saying that reviewers hate the wii...while at the same time complaining that a Ubisoft isn't releasing any good games for the Wii.

there are like 10 threads live right now on this site that say "Boycott Company A because they are not making good Wii games" or "Company B announces good wii games are coming"

So which one is it? Reviewers hating the wii and giving bad scores or companies making bad games for the Wii?

As far as microsoft buying reviews...they don't do that, otherwise Ninja Gaiden 2 would have been a 9.5 as it should have been.

Both?

It's not like the two are mutually exclusive. For example. Trauma Center New Blood is a high quality game that was rated below where it should be... yet ubisoft is still producing horrible games.

Best you could argue with your point is "Why try your hardest when the reviwers aren't going to give you a fair shake anyway."

Its kinda pushing it when it comes to scape goats don't you think... Whats next? Game was made on a Friday?

Not really. I think you can point to a number of Wii games that were marked down in part for the system it was on.

In some cases it might be anger at the wii. In most cases i'd imagine it has more to do with critics not liking motion controls or not dealing with games being different then expected. It's easy to compare a FPS to other FPS... what do you compare Wii Sports to... or Wii Fit even?

Who even reviews these games? When your system is set up so that you have the reviewer who likes those types of games best reviews the game.... what do you do when the game is new? When there isn't anything like it? You don't have anybody who is biased towawrds the genre or type of game like JRPG John who's been playing ever since FF1.

I don't think it's intentional, but I do think it's fair to go in expecting wii games to get lower reviews because unlike the HD systems where it's easy enough to say "this looks better then the last one" the Wii's improvements are harder to quantify, and new play mechanics... are well new.

It's hard to judge a peach's quality if it's the first peach you've ever eaten.  Your main instict is probably going to be to put it in the "middle" because from their you'd have plenty of room to adjust up or down as need be.

Kasz didn't respond to my post on page 1.