By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Guitar Hero: Legends of Rock - On Tour - Aerosmith - World Tour - Metallica

Guitar Hero: On Tour impressions
But after a few notes came by, it became natural. After a while I sort of felt like I was playing with a guitar like in the console versions, or at least as close as it could be to that. I played on medium and it wasn’t that challenging. I got used to the feel of the game quite fast. I was honestly surprised at how well the game worked. The whammy bar use was great too and when I shouted “Rock on”, star power was activated and all was good….

Guitar Hero: World Tour leaks
-Guitar Hero 4 = $179.99

GH4 guitar:

- New guitar sets you free: New touch-sensitive guitar Neck Slide opens up the entire guitar neck for unbound solos - shred how you want.

Artists

- Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, Foo Fighters, Smashing Pumpkins, Korn, System of a Down, Ozzy Osbourne, Interpol, Muse “and dozens more”

Wonder how well the GH3 guitars will work. Also, it's awesomoe they got System of a Down. Didn't they do that Zelda song? That'd be awesome for a Wii-only song. =D

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles fan for life. <3

Around the Network

That sliding is gonna be rad-tacular. I just got all pumped up all over again.

soccerdrew17 said:

im sorry but it doesnt make a difference if it isnt as fun. gh2 was miles more fun than gh3. harmonix left and made rock band which even the guitar is miles more fun than gh3. people will not make fun notes to play, they just wont spend the time or have the knowledge of a team like harmonix that knows how to make it fun.

notice the word fun in there a lot. its what was missing from gh3. sure it was gh and all. but that was the only reason it was fun. i went and played it a bit ago (on my ps2 instead of ps3 like rockband is so sorry for an inaccurate comparison) and i just could not get into it. the difficulty is arbitrary, it doesnt make sense, and i didnt have fun. so i stopped playing.

keyword: fun-what guitar hero now lacks.

huh, I am suprised that GH3 the first GH I ever played wasn't fun. I will haver to consider that when GH4 bundle comes out and I'm picking it up.

Seriously, people understand that you like RB more. You feel you are following the spirit of the series. Though if that's the case maybe you should consider that it's just a variant on Guitar Freak. Things evolve, tastse change. As do yours and others. Let it go. GH is a good game have fun with your choice and stop badgering other peoples games they like. It's unbecoming.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

Andrex said:

Guitar Hero 4:

- A new guitar designed by Red Octane that includes a new input mechanic that'll "impact the way you play GH in the future".

To me, the way this is handled will be the most important thing in future releases. Red Octane's original guitar design was great, but that doesn't mean it can't be improved. A substantially redesigned controller has the potential to both increase the fun factor and make the game feel new again. However, it's a double-edged sword; maintaining backwards compatability places severe limits on new designs, while breaking it alienates past customers.

As for the Rock Band trolling in this thread... no. Rock Band is a fantastic party game, and the addition of drums adds something very new to the genre. But Rock Band is still very flawed, and Guitar Hero 3 absolutely destroys it as a single-player guitar game.

- Rock Band peripherals are complete crap. The microphone is the only one that works reliably. My drums were unreliable out of the box; both of my friends who also own the game had the same problem. Two of us got working drums as replacements, but my other friend got another bad set. While none of us has broken a foot pedal yet, reports of snapped foot pedals are all over the internet. Playing fast bass drums on expert in almost guaranteed to break the foot pedal eventually. As for the guitar, my first one broke in four hours, my second one arrived broken. I haven't bothered to replace it again because even if it worked, the Les Paul is far superior anyway. For some reason people like to display their loyalty to Harmonix when they bash Rock Band, but Red Octane was a huge part in the success of the Guitar Hero franchise. Hell, Red Octane was the one who approached Harmonix with the idea for the game.

- Rock Band's guitar charts are mostly boring. The hardest thing about most of them is not letting your attention wander off too far. The hammer-on/pull-off placement is terrible after playing GH3. Rock Band places HOPOs solely based on the time between notes; this leads to many notes being an HOPO when the guitar part is clearly strumming, and other notes that should be an HOPO but aren't. GH3 manually places the HOPOs, which both eliminates this problem, and allows for new features in the note charts - such as a sustained note into a slide represented by an HOPO - impossible in Rock Band or GH2. Raining Blood and Before I Forget are definitely not a fun note charts, but neither was Freya in GH2. Meanwhile, the game is packed with fun charts at varying difficulty levels. My Name Is Jonas, Evenflow, Cliffs of Dover, and Impulse all come to mind as standouts, but there's many more. Cult of Personality was even mentioned as an example of an "unfun" chart, but my friends and I all like it.

- Rock Band doesn't have adjustable fret board scroll speeds (aka "Hyperspeed"). I know there's people out there who think it's cheating because it makes the game easier, but I couldn't care less. "Fun" challenges in these games comes from challenging myself to play difficult notes, not challenging myself just to read them. This is particularly bad on hard difficulty drums, where a few of the parts are so close together they practically overlap. Expert drums are actually easier to read to hard drums due to the faster scroll speed. In this case, like in most cases, more options are always better.

This isn't intended as a rant about why Guitar hero 3 is better than Rock Band. Both games have their flaws, and overall I like them about equally. Hopefully both Harmonix and Red Octane continue to make great games in the genre, and use eachother's good ideas.

I agree with all your points, but those downsides are small compared to the growing gap of effort between Activision and Harmonix; Activision is definitely going all-out with GH4 and I believe them when they say it's going to be the ultimate music game to be played even years from now. The replayability and community of GH4 is a huge selling point, I can't wait for GHTunes.
Also here's a new leaked artist list:

Bold means confirmed bands, underlined is the leaked ones.
Allman Brothers
At the Drive-In
Billy Idol
Bon Jovi
Boston
Blind Melon
Blink-182
CCR
Coldplay
Def Leppard
The Doors
Dream Theater
The Eagles
Fleetwood Mac
Foreigner
Interpol
Jane's Addiction
Jimi Hendrix
Jimmy Eat World
Lenny Kravitz
Linkin Park
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Michael Jackson
Modest Mouse
Muse
Nirvana
No Doubt
Oasis
Paramore
Steve Miller
Smashing Pumpkins
Sublime
Silversun Pickups
The Answer
Van Halen
And remember, these are ALL master tracks, and it's rumored each artist will have at least two songs. Still no JRock songs though, however MJ and Fleetwood are awesome. It's odd that I'm getting excited over this list because my musical tastes are very... unrefined? Well, not ordinary I suppose. I don't know 80% of those bands and have only heard songs from less than 2%, but I do know what I like.
Anybody here like this list?

Around the Network

CVG's Guitar Hero: World Tour preview

Rock Band, we're sorry to say, is finished.

Just look at the drums. Rock Band's has four pads with loud, plastic covers and a flimsy pedal. GH's has three pads and two high-hats, all coated with rubber to dampen any unwanted noise. The high hats are 'flappy', like cymbals, and there's still a pedal for that extra layer of complexity. All considered, the peripheral gives Rock Band's the runaround.

Like Rock Band, Guitar Hero World Tour will rely on DLC to boost its track list. However, whereas Rock Band shipped with 67 songs in Europe, GHWT aims to squeeze over a hundred master tracks onto the disc. So far The Eagles, Van Halen, Linkin Park and Sublime are confirmed, and while we can't reveal any other names on the list we can say that there are some major players involved. But as great as the on-board talent is, the new feature 'GHTunes' is what will truly send Harmonix's game off to the labour exchange.

GHTunes is, quite simply, a revolution. The premise is simple: design your own songs, design your own album covers, upload your album for the world to see and then download any album you fancy. It's the Guitar Hero equivalent of YouTube, and it costs precisely zero pounds and zero pence.

Whoah! 100 master tracks! And GHTunes sounds really, really awesome. Consider the first shots fired.

New Guitar Hero: On Tour website

New Guitar Hero: On Tour blog entry
The amount of visual fidelity we were able to squeeze out of the characters using the new rendering technology was phenomenal… when I first saw it I didn’t even believe we’d be able to ship with it; I thought we’d have to make too many other sacrifices. We didn’t. The amazing thing you’ll notice on the characters, especially when the camera gets up really close, is how detailed they look and how dramatic the effect is when the light hits them at certain angles. Amazingly, the characters in our DS game have almost as many polygons as the characters in Guitar Hero on the PlayStation 2!
Wow, that's a lot. And who said only the PSP rivaled the PS2 in power?

im running out of room for all of these plastic toys.

soccerdrew17 said:

im sorry but it doesnt make a difference if it isnt as fun. gh2 was miles more fun than gh3. harmonix left and made rock band which even the guitar is miles more fun than gh3. people will not make fun notes to play, they just wont spend the time or have the knowledge of a team like harmonix that knows how to make it fun.

notice the word fun in there a lot. its what was missing from gh3. sure it was gh and all. but that was the only reason it was fun. i went and played it a bit ago (on my ps2 instead of ps3 like rockband is so sorry for an inaccurate comparison) and i just could not get into it. the difficulty is arbitrary, it doesnt make sense, and i didnt have fun. so i stopped playing.

keyword: fun-what guitar hero now lacks.

Sorry, but as an owner of GH1, 2, 80s, and 3, I disagree with 100% of what you said.  GH3 has plenty of fun gameplay.  Yes, Raining Blood was unnecessary (IMO, it should've been a bonus track to please the hardest of the hardcore, and not part of the "normal" game), but CoP is one of my favorite songs and note charts in the game.  I would rather be challenged than fall asleep, which the note charts in Rock Band tend to do to me.

Rock Band definitely has a superior multiplayer experience, and the addition of the drums adds another layer of awesomeness.  Which is why I'm glad that we get even better drums in GH4, and I'm confident that the guitar parts will live up to the standards set by GH1-3.

IGN's Guitar Hero: World Tour first look

It's tough to rock out without the proper equipment. Guitar Hero: World Tour adds drums and vocals to the formula to go along with the already present guitar and bass. It doesn't just add two new peripherals and call it a day, though. This next Guitar Hero game will add new features to the trusty guitar, as well.

The Guitar
World Tour introduces a new guitar controller that is even more feature-laden than past designs. Before you get in a huff about just buying the Les Paul or X-plorer models from past Guitar Hero games, know that Activision has told us these will still work in World Tour. They just won't have access to all of the new stuff the added features bring to the table. That being said, you're going to want the new axe.

The near final guitar. Note the new touch pad located on the neck.

The biggest addition to the new guitar is the touch pad located on the neck. While playing a song, this touch sensitive strip allows you to alter notes during sustains by sliding up and down the strip (giving more freedom and options than what you had before with just a whammy bar). It can also be used for tapping to play notes, particularly awesome if you want to mimic a slap bass. The real power of the touch pad comes in the music creator. We'll get to that soon.

All of the previous great features are still there on this guitar, too. It's wireless and sleek, has an accelerometer for activating star power (and more) and will make use of new custom faceplates. In short, it's the best guitar controller we've seen yet.

OMFG!