By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So many JRPG fans on VGChartz?

Riachu said:
noname2200 said:
Riachu said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Its a niche genre where MOSt Hardcore fans are present.....and Vg chartz being a gaming website will have hardcore gamers
Do Americans hate JRPGs? I don't think so but I just want to make sure

No hate, from what I can tell, just indifference. RPGs in general aren't anywhere near as huge outside of Japan as they are within. Although a lot of Western games incorporate RPG-esque qualities (stats and the like). And I don't think Western RPGs outsell their Japanese counterparts on a consistent basis in the West.

I could have sworn that Mass Effect got a vast majority of its sales in North America and Fable was the fastest selling Xbox game when it came out if I remember correctly

Ditto that

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Around the Network

JRPG is my second favorite genre behind action adventure like zelda, okami

Wii/Mario Kart Wii Code:2793-0686-5434

Its amazing how a JRPG is announced for the 360 and suddenly twenty thousand threads pop up saying 'im abandoning the PS3 for the 360 sniffle sniffle'

Do a lot of users on here just jump on whatever bandwagon is riding through town?

ZOMG UBISFOT!
ZOMG JRPG!!!
ZOMG HAZE LOLOLOL!!!

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

colonelstubbs said:
Its amazing how a JRPG is announced for the 360 and suddenly twenty thousand threads pop up saying 'im abandoning the PS3 for the 360 sniffle sniffle'

Do a lot of users on here just jump on whatever bandwagon is riding through town?

ZOMG UBISFOT!
ZOMG JRPG!!!
ZOMG HAZE LOLOLOL!!!

Thats not what this thread is about. i'm just surprised to see that so many people care about JRPGs. Question is: with such a strong following (as this site would suggest), why doesn't this genre sell well?

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

JRPG is a great genre and one of my favorites! mostly Pokemon though

Around the Network

I strongly dislike them, if you need a dissenting opinion.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Cougarman said:
JRPG is my second favorite genre behind action adventure like zelda, okami

Judging by your game collection, you seem to have skipped Persona 3 as well. Its hard for me to imagine that a hardcore JRPG fan would skip that game. Are gamers on this site just obsessed with the idea of having RPGs on their system of choice when they don't even buy them?

noname2200 said:
Riachu said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Its a niche genre where MOSt Hardcore fans are present.....and Vg chartz being a gaming website will have hardcore gamers
Do Americans hate JRPGs? I don't think so but I just want to make sure

No hate, from what I can tell, just indifference. RPGs in general aren't anywhere near as huge outside of Japan as they are within. Although a lot of Western games incorporate RPG-esque qualities (stats and the like). And I don't think Western RPGs outsell their Japanese counterparts on a consistent basis in the West.

...and the PS360 doesn't sell anywhere near the Wii, but that doesn't stop the fans of those systems from thinking they are better than everybody else.

If you're not at least a fan of the Final Fantasy series of old, then you've missed a lot of what gaming is about. 

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Honestly, Persona 3 isn't going to do very well because who the hell wants to buy last gen games anymore?  Even God of War II didn't do near as well as it should have on the ps2 because most people want games on a current console.

As far as the ps3, it doesn't have any JRPG's yet...unless you want to call that piece of shit Enchanted Arms a game.  Disgaea 3 and Valkyrie Chronicles are JRPG's; HOWEVER, they are SRPG's (Strategy) which is NOT what most of the people clamoring for JRPG's want.  And Disgaea 3 has worse graphics than some psp games from what I've seen of it.

And nobody really expects the 360 to sell many JRPG's because it has no install base in Japan and most 360 owners are hardcore shooter fans.

So at this point, the games are either on an outdated console - PS2.

There are none, like the PS3.

Or they're for the wrong userbase - 360.

That simple.  I think we're going to be seeing a lot of old-school gamers (like myself) lose patience with Sony very soon and start to buy 360's.

PSN ID: Sorrow880

Gamertag: Sorrow80

Wii #: 8132 1076 3416 7450

DragonLord said:

Honestly, Persona 3 isn't going to do very well because who the hell wants to buy last gen games anymore? Even God of War II didn't do near as well as it should have on the ps2 because most people want games on a current console.

As far as the ps3, it doesn't have any JRPG's yet...unless you want to call that piece of shit Enchanted Arms a game. Disgaea 3 and Valkyrie Chronicles are JRPG's; HOWEVER, they are SRPG's (Strategy) which is NOT what most of the people clamoring for JRPG's want. And Disgaea 3 has worse graphics than some psp games from what I've seen of it.

And nobody really expects the 360 to sell many JRPG's because it has no install base in Japan and most 360 owners are hardcore shooter fans.

So at this point, the games are either on an outdated console - PS2.

There are none, like the PS3.

Or they're for the wrong userbase - 360.

That simple. I think we're going to be seeing a lot of old-school gamers (like myself) lose patience with Sony very soon and start to buy 360's.

Disgaea 3 is a low budget game so I am not suprise it doesn't look that good/