By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - PS3 and RPG fan looking to buy XBOX360

Since all the RPG's seem to be going to the 360 at the moment I am looking to get a Used XBOX360. However I am concerned about picking up the one chipset that has a high failure rate. How can I tell which chipset I am getting when I buy a used system. The system will have to be used since I am in graduate school and of course money is tight. Also I never sell anything back once I buy it so I can't raise money that way.

Games I am looking forward to include Star Ocean 4, Tales of Vesperia, Infinite Undiscovery, Spectral Force 3, and Operation Darkness.

Systems I own (Games)

Sega: Dreamcast (40) , Saturn (25), Genesis (50), Masters System (10), Game Gear (20)

Sony: PS1 (8), PS2 (60) , PS3 (5), PSP (12)

Atari: 2600 (18) , 7800 (10), Lynx (10)

Around the Network

Well don't get one now. More than likely 360 will drop in price later this year or early next year in the US. Save some money, especially considering those games won't even release til then anyways.

You could just get a better PC and jump into some MMOs. Some MMOs have some JRPG like flare.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

wait for the games to actually be released before you buy one, it should be cheaper by than.

I'm gonna snag a brand new 360 Pro package this Friday.

I wouldn't feel comfortable not buying it new, I want that 3 year warranty.

We'll miss you George.

PSN:Puzzleface

XBL:XpuzzlefaceX

My friends call me Hadoken because I'm down-right fierce

Around the Network

E3 in 5 weeks......if SCEJ don't show us anything then we will carry out a secret operation to n kill them

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

ssj12 said:
You could just get a better PC and jump into some MMOs. Some MMOs have some JRPG like flare.

Man, you really hate Microsoft, don't you?

@ OP: you'll want to look for a set with the Falcon chipset. Unfortunately, most used systems probably won't be of that model (as it's the newest), and the only way I know how to tell the two apart is by the power supply (Falcon's usually use 175w, while other models are 200+), and I only know how to find that on the box. Just ask the salesman which model it is: if he says "Falcon", you're good to go. I'll see if I can scrounge up any other telltale signs.

Edit: Here you go.

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/02/05/how-to-spot-a-falcon-65nm-360-in-the-wild/

noname2200 said:
ssj12 said:

PC = Microsoft.

@ssj12

seriously even I wouldn't recommend something so twisted & out of topic.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

bbsin said:
noname2200 said:
ssj12 said:

PC = Microsoft.

Not necessarily. Since I didn't have to pay for my copy of Windows, nothing on my PC contributes to Microsoft (although I suppose that my alma mater technically did contribute...)