By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - VGC Game Development Team

Andrex said:

ssj12 said:

Your free to do whatever projects you want. If you need textures and crap I can make them. This group is more of a team of people, that just want to make good games that are fun.There wont be any set projects for some time. 

Ah. The problem with that though is lack of direction and focus. And you won't have any projects for some time? Well, what's going to be happening in the mean time? Forgive my.. hrm... cold demeaner, I just want to put it in your head to refine your ideas.

Also Flash development is a bad idea in my opinion, but if all you know is ActionScript go right ahead. 

I'm just not meaning a giant project that they whole team works on. Each person can work on their own individual project. Like you can focus on your game while Darth can work on a flash game with FJ-Warez for example. Think of each person as an individual developer out for themselves. This is where the collective minds join up and share goals and projects.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

So anyways what are your individual wants for games. What projects do each of you want to work on. We need to discuss what each person wants to do.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please

SnakeEyez said:
Im interested in this, me and my friends have wanted to make a game (a flash game atleast) for awhile now. To be a game programmer, does computer science fall under that? That is what Im majoring in college

Yes, if you want to program games for a living you should get a degree in Computer Science. A plus to this is if you can't find a suitable gaming job you can program software and many other things. 
Edit- Oh, well then you should probably call is a "club" then. I'm in, but you probably won't hear from me much. If you have questions on those languages I listed I can help.

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles fan for life. <3

Well I was working on a FP engine with Java and OpenGL(I stoped due to college), but my past experience has show me how we should start with a scroll game like a 2D plataformer or a shooter with space ships, those ones are easy to develop, so yeah, I think we should start with a 2D project...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."
FJ-Warez said:
Well I was working on a FP engine with Java and OpenGL(I stoped due to college), but my past experience has show me how we should start with a scroll game like a 2D plataformer or a shooter with space ships, those ones are easy to develop, so yeah, I think we should start with a 2D project...

Agreed, a 2D game would be a good idea. Pretty simple texture work too.

Who here would be interested in starting with a 2D game? We need more then one person working on said game.

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
FJ-Warez said:

Agreed, a 2D game would be a good idea. Pretty simple texture work too.

Who here would be interested in starting with a 2D game? We need more then one person working on said game.

I would love to work on a 2-D game. Personally, I would prefer a 2D platformer. I would also prefer working with OpenGL or another graphic library than Flash.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

Andrex said:
SnakeEyez said:
Im interested in this, me and my friends have wanted to make a game (a flash game atleast) for awhile now. To be a game programmer, does computer science fall under that? That is what Im majoring in college

Yes, if you want to program games for a living you should get a degree in Computer Science. A plus to this is if you can't find a suitable gaming job you can program software and many other things. 
Edit- Oh, well then you should probably call is a "club" then. I'm in, but you probably won't hear from me much. If you have questions on those languages I listed I can help.

Great, I decided to go into computer science for the above reasons (without gaming) and didn't know how deep the rabbit hole goes. Its good that I can mix my profession with 1 of my passions.

One of the ways to maintain focus in a "club" of this nature, would be to have a challenge that is based on a theme ... Gamedev.net (IIRC) used to run a yearly competition that was based on the four elements (Fire, Water, Earth, Air) as an example.

As a general rule, any project that would take more than 6 weeks is probably far to complicated to complete for someone who is new to development.

Tips:

• Don't code from scratch, use an opensource game engine or take advantage of frameworks like Open Scene Graph or OpenSG
  • Look at simple things people enjoy doing (puzzles, board games, card games) to draw inspiration for what you want to make; starting with complicated ideas will only lead to projects that are difficult to complete.
  • Focus on the core gameplay element, goldplating requirements is not a good way to start

Andrex said:

ssj12 said:

Your free to do whatever projects you want. If you need textures and crap I can make them. This group is more of a team of people, that just want to make good games that are fun.There wont be any set projects for some time.

Ah. The problem with that though is lack of direction and focus. And you won't have any projects for some time? Well, what's going to be happening in the mean time? Forgive my.. hrm... cold demeaner, I just want to put it in your head to refine your ideas.

Also Flash development is a bad idea in my opinion, but if all you know is ActionScript go right ahead.

Really?  A Game Developer I've talked to swears by flash.

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

HappySqurriel said:

One of the ways to maintain focus in a "club" of this nature, would be to have a challenge that is based on a theme ... Gamedev.net (IIRC) used to run a yearly competition that was based on the four elements (Fire, Water, Earth, Air) as an example.

As a general rule, any project that would take more than 6 weeks is probably far to complicated to complete for someone who is new to development.

Tips:

• Don't code from scratch, use an opensource game engine or take advantage of frameworks like Open Scene Graph or OpenSG
  • Look at simple things people enjoy doing (puzzles, board games, card games) to draw inspiration for what you want to make; starting with complicated ideas will only lead to projects that are difficult to complete.
  • Focus on the core gameplay element, goldplating requirements is not a good way to start

Thanks for the tips Happy.