By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Let's face it: PS3 has potential to grow its userbase, 360 does not.

Look at the PS3 in Japan, yes it's not so good now, but it has potential to grow it's userbase and compete competitively with the Wii even if it does take a long ass time to get there. It's only 3 million short of Wii's total, while the 360 is nearly 4.5 million short.

The PSP proved that it can bounce back and Sony obviously realized that the trick was to re-design it's portable system to bring in customers. I'm pretty sure they know how to bring back the love for Playstation to japanese consumers as well. 

Whereas Microsoft just doesn't understand that nobody in Japan wants a 360 because they hated the first one and online gaming is not a selling point to them. Those JPRG's, and let's conclude Microsoft has like 5 out for it in Japan compared to 2 of PS3's and yet it still can't sell at least 10k a week.

Thus the PS3 has potential to grow and if the japanese dev's would stop believing in Microsoft to taking over the world, their jrpg series won't have to suffer anymore because of it. 

Look at Europe, with a year head start, the PS3 has managed to sell almost equivalent to the 360 and it is outselling it finally both hardware and software. the PS3 games there actually have legs to boot. Thus, it has potential to expand there now which it is doing.

As for the U.S, despite it still being a huge disadvantage and being behind, the PS3 in sales are coming in close to the 360, and with the bad economy, only a cheaper price can fix that along with their big titles like LBP coming out this fall. Now that Microsoft is trying to court third parties with no more good first party titles, they are gonna use their money like crazy to buy out exclusives.

Microsoft had their chance to be the next "PS2" but let's face it, its potential to grow has faded and soon America will buy into it again as well. I think Sony was smart not to buy that GTA4 exclusive $50 million DLC cause it didn't sell consoles at all lol.

Around the Network

Very deep & thoughtful analysis.....I agree

PSP is the proof its possible

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

oh dear.....

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

lololololol

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

well this is a big fat duh.

What people are mad about tho is it seems MS is more hungry to grow its user base and sony is just sitting there letting them do it.

Sony needs to wake up fast.

Around the Network

True.

MGS4!

No love for the meltbox eh?

Anyway, come join my thread, it'll be around until the PS3 sells more than the 360. If you have any relevant news or thoughts, feel free to drop by.

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=28894&start=0

Hey duckbear! Haven't seen you in PotD in a while

This will only take a moment of your time. *steals your watch*

I remember someone with this screename "mrduckbear" on Gamefaqs. That guy was a total moron who just annoyed the heck outta everybody and just didn't make any sense at all. I hope that wasn't you. I agree with you and are deeply disappointed with the recent loss of JRPG from PS3 to 360. I do not see what the developers are thinking. I was going to bu a PS3 but now with SO4 def being on the 360 while not yet decided on the PS3 makes me almost go out and buy a 360 now.

Mil. Sellers:

Wii:      25 titles       101.4 mil total    avg 4 mil per title

PS3:     14 titles      28.6 mil total    avg ~2 mil per title

360:     41 titles      89.8 mil total   avg  >2 mil per title

110 mln. PS2 owners are awaiting to PLAY BEYOND. =)

Just release PS3 slim bundled with FFXIII or GT5 at 299$/299euro and you WILL SEE the PS3 potential. =]

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far