By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - AMD HD4870 800 Stream processors - 1.2Teraflops of shader power!

AMD confirmed it a few days ago the 4870 has 800.

nVidia answered by dropping the price of the 260/280. Also their mystery card is still a giant question mark. Could be very interesting what will happen.

Things to factor in.

Intel's Nahalem currently wont support SLi but this wont effect cards like the 9800GX2 or future GX2 models due to the SLi being run through software and not an motherboard installed chip.

possible 9900 cards

wtf the G100 will be

The HD4900 (without AMD, ATI would so dead now, ATI lovers should love AMD for their support in fixing the Radeon series)

if nVidia gives Intel the SLi chipset.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network
starcraft said:
Buy the card, give me the 8800gt.

you mean a 9800GX2 or 9800GTX 280 doesnt sound like the GPU for you?

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please

I get my new PC Tuesday. I can't wait for these video cards to come out, so I can finish the thing off!!

Quad core AMD, 4 gig of ram, a new PSU with 8pin PCI power for these cards.... Now I just need something faster then my 7800GTX... sounds like that's soon going to happen! :)

By holidays this year I'll be looking for a whole new PC...by then I'll know which is best, the 4870 or the Nvidia card, and they'll both be cheaper, so it's all good.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Numerically, it MUST BE 800 SPUs, because the card is officially rated in excess of 1TFLOP and based on the rumoured clockspeeds the most likely value is 800SPs and 650MHz giving 1.2TFLOPS (The formula is complex).

It won't be faster than a GTX260, but it will be much cheaper. The R700 (dual RV770) WILL be faster since we know it'll be at least 1.6x faster than a 4870 and the 4870 isn't THAT far behind the GTX280.

Around the Network

Leaked performance slides. HD4870 is 1.4x a 9800GTX, and HD4850 is 1.4x an 8800GT. Taking into account the scaling seen from 3870 to 3870X2, this means that a 4870X2 will be 2.25x a 9800GTX, easily beating a GTX280.

Take that, Nvidia!

They have a chip thats smaller than a g92 and its competing with the chip thats twice its size. To say they did well, is an understatement! They could grab a tonne of market share - anyone with a an intel/amd chipset is definately going to look hard at what they're offering now.

2x this in Xfire vs a GTX280 - interesting comparison.

Amd is going to cause Nvidia a bit of pain finally!

Tease.

wow imprissive

Looks like they fixed the AA problems. These 48x0 cards are looking really good...if that graph holds any truth, a 4850 can offer 9800GTX class performance(or better) for $199, ATi has a winner.

I'm a current nVidia user but really want ATi to pound some green ass this time around.

crappy old school NES games are more entertaining than next-gen games.

ihira said:
Looks like they fixed the AA problems. These 48x0 cards are looking really good...if that graph holds any truth, a 4850 can offer 9800GTX class performance(or better) for $199, ATi has a winner.

I'm a current nVidia user but really want ATi to pound some green ass this time around.

it only took the AMD buy out to do it!