By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - AMD HD4870 800 Stream processors - 1.2Teraflops of shader power!

BottledSpringWater said:
Has ATI always been the underdog in terms of video cards?
And is this their first chance in glory?

Nope, the Radeon 9800 was king of the hill for quite awhile (mainly because the Geforce 5 was crap)

Around the Network
drkohler said:

Sheesh.. you never give up, do you?

With twice the number of texture units, one would suspect that the 4850 performs much better than an 3870 right from the start (and conveniently you quote games with heavy texture loads....). Add 50% more pixel/vertex-shaders (96 vs 64, also the stream processor architecture in the 4850 may have seen some improvements) and your numbers (in whichever way they were generated) become reasonable.

Numerically, it MUST BE 800 SPUs, because each shader shader unit is capable of 2 FLOPS, and if there are 800 units, this means that Radeon HD 4850 with its 625MHz will hit exactly 1TFLOPS. That is AMD/ATI chose that specific frequency. Radeon HD 4870 with its 750MHz core will have 20% more processing power available and hits 1.2TFLOPS.

It is officially confirmed that both cards will have 1TFLOPs (unleashonetera.com).

It seems that GPU-Z 0.2.4 shows 800 shaders.. does not really correlate with a TDP of 110W but time will tell..

Also note your calculation of 160 shader * 625MHz = 1TFlop is really cool  but suffers from a small detail: The shader clock is _unlocked_ in the 4850 series and does not operate at 625MHz, the GPU frequency. (The actual marketing calculation goes probably more in the line of 480 SP * 2 Ops * 850MHz = 0.8TFlop + TMU ops + GPU ops + Whatever ops >= 1 TFlop.

More than 100W TDP is too much for my tastes, but it's good news anyway for me, I can buy now a MoBo with 780G, the fastest ever integrated graphics chipset so far, it will be good enough for a lot of less power hungry games, particularly for those I'm playing now and those I'm going to play, and in a 1 and 1/2 year very fast low TDP cards should be available.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!